Weight loss and age

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Savita

Weight loss and age

Post by Savita » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:33 am

Hi,
Having been on the No S programme for two weeks now, I'd like to have this question answered: is there any co-relation between rate of weight loss and age? Is it true that it's easier to lose weight in your twenties and thirties with the going getting tougher after that?

I ask this because of some of the mails I've read here that detail stupendous weight loss in 9-10 months. Sounds wonderful and I congratulate the lucky people! However, is it at all possible across the board regardless of age?

I'd love to hear what everybody has to say about this...

Savita

apple

Post by apple » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:37 am

From what I know, your metabolism slows down as you get older, so you will probably lose weight faster when you're young.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:57 pm

I agree! However, I can lose weight with NoS - it comes off slowly - maybe a pound a week or so - but it comes off!
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:36 pm

I lost weight faster when I was younger.
I lost weight faster when I exercised more.
I lost weight faster when I was further from my ideal weight.

I currently pretty much maintain on No-S... but that's okay. I'm in healthy BMI range, I'm not exercising THAT much (mostly yoga, which isn't exactly a major aerobic activity), and (I blush to say) I've been being "a bit of an idiot" on weekends of late.

And yes, I can even gain on it if I make poor food choices and am a BIG idiot on S-days. Following the letter of the law rather than the spirit is a recipe for disaster in most cases.