Returning to the country, maintaining No-S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

silverfish

Returning to the country, maintaining No-S

Post by silverfish » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:44 pm

So - hey all! I'm back from the USA!

Had a great time and ate lots of wonderful food (elderberry pie! pumpkin pie! crispy bacon! cinnamon buns!). Actually, for the first two weeks I basically ate and talked. It was wonderful. We spent the third walking around New York City (I have learned that I will take public transport to anywhere, but hate having to wait to catch it home again). But we also ate a lot there, including the vilest, stalest pretzel it has ever been my misfortune to consume.

As for No-S... I would eat dessert if it was served (I turned my teeth blue with grape cobbler) and morning- or afternoon tea if we went out for it, but in spite of that I found it easy not to snack between meals. I do regard food as an important part of travelling :)

In the end, I put on about 4kg (9 pounds), and enjoyed every gram of that. It was easy to settle back into No-S once I returned (airplane food and 36 hours without sleep make reprogramming easier), and even the Christmas season isn't causing too much havoc.

I have to say, though, that Australian bread and chocolate products are about as much better than America's as Europe's are to Australia. Also, I was surprised to find that in spite of the coffee culture, the parts of America we visited didn't have much of a cafe (espresso) culture, compared to Brisbane. I think the reason Starbucks hasn't taken off here is that unlike America, it has serious competition in Australia. Also, we couldn't get chocolate on top of our cuppacinos in the States, which defeats the purpose.

Australia, however, has fewer pies.

Jaxhil

Post by Jaxhil » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:41 pm

Sounds like you had a great time!

I would love to go visit NYC again-my brother and his family live there, and its been a very long time since I've seen them.

Good to hear its been easy to get back on track, too-and that you didn't feel deprived on your vacation 8)
Hilary
_______

"Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity."-St Augustine

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."-Thomas Jefferson