any advice for a grad student?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

phano

any advice for a grad student?

Post by phano » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:21 am

Hi there,

I've been lurking here for about a year and finally decided to join.

I'm a grad student with a toddler son. Last year, I FINALLY lost all my baby weight. But, we moved this fall and over finals, I had to write four papers (and grade about 100). So, with all that to do, I was staying up way late for days on end, and...eating all sorts of junk because I was bored, nervous, stressed and procrastinating.

I've gained about 20 pounds. When I lost the weight last year, I had read "French Women Don't Get Fat", which helped a lot. I've totally fallen off that wagon and thought that the structure of NoS would help more.

Just wanted to say hi and ask if anyone had any advice.

Thanks a bunch!
Last edited by phano on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:28 pm

Hi Rachel,

The best advice is just to keep it simple by following the basic no-s rules. Don't add or subtract anything from this. You already have a lot on your plate, so to speak, just by being a grad student and mom, so don't further complicate your life.

Posting to the discussion board regularly is a great help for support and accountability.

Welcome to No-S!

christmas tree

You already have a full plate!!!!

Post by christmas tree » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:25 pm

Since you have such looooong hours--you may want to set up a 4 or 5 meal plan. Give yourself times like 7am 11am 2pm whatever--I don't know your lifestyle. Your main meal can be a dinner plate, and your in between can be tea plates. Fill your plate with substantial food. Whatever that may be for you--no sweets, no seconds, no snacks. Your little meal would be a snack if it's a plate of chips. Good luck on your venture. This diet plan can work for you. Most diets make me feel deprived and sorry for myself. But this eating plan keeps my tummy filled. So it will work.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:09 pm

I think there's a lot of similarities between French Women Don't Get Fat (as well as Mediterranean Women Stay Slim, Too) and No-S. More about habits, or at least equally as much about habits, as the food you eat.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:39 pm

rxea,

It sounds like (as with most people) automatic permasnacking is your biggest problem. The best remedy is clarity. Especially when you're stressed, you don't have the mental energy to weigh each individual snacking opportunity ("Is this healthy? Am I really hungry?"). A simple "no, it's a weekday" will preempt even the question and wind up making you feel less stressed -- because you'll feel, at least in this domain, like you are firmly in control. From that little island of stability, you can conquer (or at least resist) the chaos around you.

Best of luck,

Reinhard