Is my 14 minutes 14 minutes?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Johnny Quick

Is my 14 minutes 14 minutes?

Post by Johnny Quick » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:01 am

My 14 min workout is a set of 10 pushups followed by a set 10 squats at the top of every minute during the 14 min.

It takes me 1/2 a min. to complete the exercise set.

Thus, in reality I'm working out seven minutes, 7 min. of exercise and 7 min. of rest.

Does this count as my daily M-F strenght workout or should I extend it to 28 min.?
"It's not over until its over."

Yogi Berra

apple

Post by apple » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:12 am

Can you do an 'active rest' those half-minutes? Like walking around the room, some light stretching, etc. You'd still be moving a bit then.

david

Post by david » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:00 pm

I think that's a very good 14 minutes. As it gets easy, start upping the numbers gradually. Something I like is to do 100 rope skips every minute on the minute--it seems harder than just skipping constantly.

--david

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:19 pm

Johnny,

I wouldn't make the working significantly longer than 14 minutes. Every minute you add reduces the chance that you'll stick with it long term. If you want to add rigor, then reduce the rest periods. But if you feel like you're getting sufficient work out as is, then leave it. There's no reason to fix something that ain't broke just to hit some magic number. And you can always revisit the issue later once you've graduated to the next level of fitness.

Reinhard