what do we do instead

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

phano

what do we do instead

Post by phano » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:18 pm

of stress eating? I'm loving the no-S thing--I feel more in control and aware of my choices. But school starts back up on Monday, and I'm worried that I don't really have a substitute for stress eating, except maybe idly surfing the Internet, which usually just contributes to stress. What do veteran no-Sers do to combat stress?

Thanks!
Last edited by phano on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm

I tend to stress-eat to avoid doing the next thing that I don't want to do. For me, acknowledging the stress and TAKING ACTION to reduce the stress (working 15 minutes on the dreaded task, etc.) is the best route to take ... but not always the easiest.

I posted the list below on another thread about stress eating.

1) Find other transition/comforting activities. A big stretch. Standing up. Bring flowers to work and smell them. Look at a picture of a place or people you love. Meditate. Take a short walk. Or just pat yourself on the back and say, "look, that's done!"

2) Make a list of non-food rewards - as long as you can make it. Pick out some to do. Revisit this one regularly.

3) Stop during the day and ask yourself what you want/need right now. Gentle voice, as if you were speaking to a much-loved child.

4) In general, monitor your "internal dialog." I was amazed at the tone I used to myself - one I'd NEVER use to anyone else (most days, anyway).

My biggest advice is to be very gentle with yourself as you make changes, so you don't need more comfort food!

I have found that being on No-S has forced me to face some of the underlying reasons I was stress-eating in the first place. As I broke that habit through N-days, I had to take a harder look at the triggers and think "so, what do I about this OTHER than eating?" That's exactly the question you're asking yourself now - and your answers may be different.

Best of luck!

christmas tree

stress eating

Post by christmas tree » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:31 am

Do you consider 3 weeks a veteran? For me stress eating is never apples or anything healthy. It's always junk food. something quick that's easy to shovel into the mouth. It's satisfying in the moment but just adds more stress because it's not where I want to be. Eating and enjoying enough food at each meal has helped tremendously. Eat without guilt. It's a wonderful feeling. The only thing I do avoid at each meal is high fat or deep fried food. And I eat till I'm full. Other than that, there are no restrictions. And don't set yourself up that you can't have a snack if you are under pressure & just need something to put into your mought. But plan ahead & have something on hand like apples & cheese or a couple of peanut butter crackers. Somthing that will take the edge off. And have something like a huge cup of hot tea or something else that is soothing. Play around with this. You'll find something!! Good luck!!

lomolover

I don't visit these forums often..

Post by lomolover » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:26 am

So I'm not a very experienced No-Ser and I've only been attempting to do it for about 3 months, but I know exactly what you're talking about! When I get home from school, and I sit still for a few seconds with my mind a buzzing and whirring down from a day at school, my first thought is on eating. But then I found a really great anecdote. Better than eating, is playing outside. Yes, I know I'm a seventeen year old who is supposed to be defiant and melancholic and into gothic subculture, but I can frolic if I want to! I just go behind my house almost everyday. It starts with a few cartwheels in the grass, then climbing some trees, maybe picking some flowers or just dipping my feet in the pool. Sometimes I'm out there until dusk. On rainy days, I clean. I lysol the molding of my house, I organize my book collection, flip the mattress, beat the rugs outside, polish the wood in the house (I love that). And on some days, when i'm feeling inspired, I'll come home and get in a sketching and colored pencil trance until dinner. My days are much fuller a happier, especially since I take a nap after each of these activities.

Hope this helps.

phano

Post by phano » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:47 am

Thanks to everyone! I've been trying to identify times when I know I might feel lots of pressure, then have a kind internal dialogue and also have some nuts or a piece of fruit if I'm actually hungry. I really like the idea of doing something active--I've been trying to take a little walk outside or stretch to break up my study time. So far, so good.... I think the most important thing is to think ahead. It's easy to feel like I don't have time, but really, I have to or else I just get trapped into all sorts of bad habits.

Thanks again!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:31 pm

I find it helpful to keep in mind the fact that stress eating is going to make you more stressed out, not less so. You feel stress because there's chaos all around you, there's too much to do and you can't get a handle on it. To give up your routines introduces only more chaos and more stress. If you stick to no-s, however, you have at least an island of stability from which to attack these other problems. You can feel confident and secure about SOMETHING at least.

It's a little like ancient Greek warfare: if you wanted to survive, your best bet was to stay in formation and fight on. If you panicked and ran, that was the surest way to get killed.

So have a drink (even a caloric one, if necessary), take a walk, chew some gum but STAY IN FORMATION. :-)

Reinhard

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:33 am

Okay, that is an awesome way of thinking about it! Now I can just imagine a drill sergeant voice yelling "Stay in formation" whenever I want a snack. I will try not to think "Stand your ground, men! Stand your ground!" like in the Princess Bride.

Instead of eating I indulge in smellories, sniffing something from my stash of good stuff, or old candy wrappers, whatever smells good. Smell and taste are so closely linked that this can do the trick. (Warning:some people it only makes hungrier!)

Sometimes I give something to my spouse to indulge in vicarious eating (although this feels passive-aggressive or something so I try not to do it).
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

apple

Post by apple » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:03 am

I'm getting better at this now that I'm doing No-S.

It used to be that when I was stressed (or bored), I would just eat without thinking. But now, I don't. This is what works for me:

- tell yourself, will this piece of chocolate make me less stressed? Of course not!
- go for a walk
- if you are hungry eat a small piece of cheese instead, or a glass of milk. Much more nutrients in there.
- make yourself a big mug of fragrant tea, with honey. Hold it in both of your hands, enjoy the warmth, the smells and the taste.

I was quite stressed yesterday, and normally would have stopped at a petrol station for chocolates and cakes etc. But I did not. Just told myself: this is a great learning experience and I can deal with it without cookies. It worked and I was immensely proud of myself.

christmas tree

Post by christmas tree » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:32 pm

Great question--Will whatever I want to "stress eat"" really take away the stress??? Will it really solve whatever is stressing me out? Will I really feel better about myself after eating this? Who is really in control when I am stress eating?? Stress eating for me is out of control eating. Love the playing too. I am 60 and not too old to play. My frame of mind dictates my stress and the more relaxed it is, the better off I am.

silverfish

Post by silverfish » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:35 am

Are there any interests or hobbies you have which you would like to take further?

At the start of last year I looked at what I was doing, and what I didn't want to give up, and what I was willing and able and likely to do everyday, because I figured I should be working towards those things everyday. So now, everyday, I read something, read a chapter of the Bible, draw a picture and write at least a hundred words. These allow for infinite expansion, but can also be accomplished in very short time if I leave them until late (i.e. draw a stickfigure, write only 100 words, read Psalm 117, etc).

And now, when I would once have eaten from stress or boredom or frustration, I'll pull out my notebook or sketchbook or novel and get in a sketch or a paragraph or two. It's short enough to be both relaxing and enjoyable and gives a real sense of accomplishment to be able to see what I have done over the course of a day or a week or a year (little things add up!), and even at the end of a stressful, horrible, no-good, very bad day I can look at my little checklist and say, well at least I got that done - the day wasn't a write-off.

Of course, sometimes I'll just open Excel and do compound interest equations :)

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:13 pm

I'm not feeling stressed or bored,
but what I notice that minus my continual snacking
I seem to continually feel anxious.
Not worried or fretting,
just a general feeling of impending doom..for no particular reason.

I've begun reading that book "The Power of Now",
will it help? Probably not...but one more thing to try.
Exercise seems to help a bit.
I'm hoping the feeling is just a temporary side effect of not snacking.

My 20 years of therapy have made me relatively well-adjusted,
so I know that if allowed to, these feelings will work themselves out over time.
I just don't care for them.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:24 pm

I am not a gardener, but the day I started No S I decided to spend time in the late afternoon -- a problem time for me, after-school snacks and all of that -- hacking away at the weeds and honeysuckle growth in the backyard. I am enjoying -- in a perverse way -- using a scythe, dragging dead tree limbs to a hiding spot in the woods and feeling a sense of accomplishment. I have never done all of this before, but it sure is a good way to deal with stress and remove myself from the kitchen.

KTina

Post by KTina » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:58 am

I loved the post from the teenager who does kartwheels in the back yard! You are awesome!