got milk??

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

babyprrr

got milk??

Post by babyprrr » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:46 pm

I know milk is nutritionally beneficial and helps protect your bones etc but does it help or hinder weight loss?? I haven't had milk for a few weeks since I stopped having sugary cereal/muesli for breakfast, but I was wondering whether to reintroduce it to my daily diet?

Btw, I know skimmed milk doesn't contain a lot of calories but my housemates only drink semi-skimmed which contains quite a few calories. I've read a few articles but the nutritional benefits of milk seem to be controversial. Btw, I'm 21, so I don't need milk to grow more, just to strengthen bones, prevent osteoporosis, etc.

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:11 pm

I don't need milk to grow more, just to strengthen bones, prevent osteoporosis, etc.
Hi :)

You're right, there is a lot of controversey about milk which you'll find if you search the web for anything about milk and nutrition.

I'm probably a little biased as a non milk drinker, but personally I don't believe milk as great for bone health as some would have us believe, if you don't have an intolerance or problem with it then it is probably ok as part of a healthy diet, but it's probably not good to rely on milk to fulfil the majority of your calcium needs.

You can get a good supply of calcium from many surprising plant sources, such as:

Sesame seeds (very high in calcium according to my vegetarian cook-book!)
Almonds
Chick peas
Hummus
Kale and other similar dark green leaves
Brocolli (I think!)
Soya products e.g. tofu

I don't think you need large quantities of these foods either, just a good selection regularly.

Another good way to protect and strengthen bones is with regular exercise and may even be more important than getting enough calcium, perhaps the body needs an incentive to use the calcium floating around the system or something :)

Just adding my 2c :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:23 pm

I drink whole milk. Not huge quantities, but with the full fat stuff, you don't need to. It tastes great and is very filling. If you are feeling snacky between meals it's as potent as B-52 strike. I never drink skim or reduced fat -- nasty diet stuff that only makes you feel like you have license to eat more.

Americans used to drink much more whole milk than they do today. They were much skinnier. Look at the chart here:

http://www.ers.usda.gov/Amberwaves/June03/DataFeature/

Pretty striking correlation with the obesity epidemic, right? I'm not suggesting that skim milk in itself makes you fat, but the mentality behind why you drink it might.

Reinhard

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:29 pm

Do you LIKE it?

If you do, go ahead and have some. If you don't, find other ways to get your nutrients, as Bonnie suggests.

I have about a cup of milk a day in my coffee (I drink homemade cafe-au-lait, usually 2 a day). It is usually 1 or 2%, because that's what the family likes to drink. I don't worry about it - in the grand scheme of things, the difference between skim and semi-skimmed isn't that big a deal. It's the pastry I'm NOT having that makes the difference. :)

I wouldn't consider milk a "weight-loss food" - those early studies have been somewhat discredited - but nor is it a major caloric issue unless you're drinking tons.

To me, this falls in the category of "don't sweat the small stuff."

apple

Post by apple » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:16 am

If you like it have some as a part of your meal.

I have started to drink a glass of (I think semi-skimmed, the names are different here) milk with my lunch, for the calcium and protein.