inspiring quote

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

laura99

inspiring quote

Post by laura99 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:00 pm

i heard this quote on tv the other day, when you read it think of yourself and ask yourself aren't i worth it? here it is '' anything worth while takes time''. i thought about this for awhile and decieded that i am worth it and that i need to start taking care of me. i wouldn't treat a best friend this way. so to that negative voice inside my head your days are coming to an end! i deserve to be healthy and happy :D :P i hope this quote inspires some one else as it has made me really think about weight loss more clearly , it IS gonna take time and there is no rush.

silverfish

Post by silverfish » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:27 am

Laura99, I've always hated that quote. It seemed to discount all the little, cheerful, happy things (not the point, I know, but that's the problem with quotes), and I preferred to turn it round: "Anything that's worth time takes a while" :)

But thankyou for your take on it, because that's a really beautiful use of the quote.

laura99

Post by laura99 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:51 am

thanks for your input, i like the way you put that quote, makes sense :D hope your doing well with this nos.

elizabeth333

Post by elizabeth333 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:34 am

laura99 - I'm trying to accept that it's gonna take a while, but I have to admit that I was just online looking into diet pills that may speed up the process. Dumb I know, but it's so tempting. I just want to be able to socialize w/o feeling like everyone thinks I so huge! I was just at a dinner with inlaws and I didn't eat a bite because I felt like everyone there probably thought I didn't need it. Icame home feeling very depressed. I want my life to revolve around more important and beautiful things, but I can't seem to ignore the social stigma of obesity.
Fresh Start Date: March 26th 2008, Fresh Start Weight: 242, Pounds Lost: 0, Current Weight: 242, Goal Weight: 135

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:35 pm

elizabeth333 wrote:laura99 - I'm trying to accept that it's gonna take a while, but I have to admit that I was just online looking into diet pills that may speed up the process. Dumb I know, but it's so tempting. I just want to be able to socialize w/o feeling like everyone thinks I so huge! I was just at a dinner with inlaws and I didn't eat a bite because I felt like everyone there probably thought I didn't need it. I came home feeling very depressed. I want my life to revolve around more important and beautiful things, but I can't seem to ignore the social stigma of obesity.
I don't know about you, but I think I suffer more at my own hands for my weight than anyone else's.

People probably don't give your body a great deal of thought. It is much more likely that you spend considerably more time judging yourself and beating yourself up than anyone else is thinking negatively of you.

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:47 pm

E-333, I joined 3 days after you and I too am having trouble with the realization that this will take time. I am really trying to look at this as a way to reset my brain and make it work like a thin person's brain works, and while this is happening I will be losing weight and once my mind set is on auto pilot, I will still be losing weight. So it's almost like the weight loss is just a pleasant side effect of this new way of being me. Ya know what I am looking forward to even more than being thinner, is putting about as much thought into how I eat as I do with breathing and eye blinking. I want it to be something I just do. It really seems like we should see a loss of a pound a week, I know that sounds like so little compared to other diets but just think if you started this a year ago, you'd be sitting here today 50 pounds lighter, and you could tell the world you did it without dieting, just make some very basic changes and here you are feeling better than you ever thought you could. Hang in there girl
Dawn

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:56 pm

Dawn, what great advice!

Elizabeth, I do think the hardest part of weight loss is facing the awful realization that the weight didn't go ON overnight, and it won't go OFF overnight. There are a lot of good plans that will work IF you can sustain them over time.

The beauty of No-S is that it's built for sustainability. Minimal decision-making. Reasonable limits. Maximum freedom within the limits.

And above all, it helps teach a different way of thinking that is SO much healthier in itself. Over time, you will learn to trust yourself. You will learn that failing isn't the same as giving up. A failure is only temporary, and you can make each failure "more temporary" by getting back on track faster. (Everyone has failures. The difference is how you respond.)

Focusing on HABITS is important. If you only measure by weight loss, it's easy to let discouragement set in. That's because our bodies don't work in a linear fashion. When I was losing, I'd have demoralizing weeks where I KNEW I'd been "good," but the scale didn't show it. But if I could stick it out, there'd be a sudden "bump" down - more than I could have actually lost that one week. It would be so easy to give up in the time lag between effort and visible results! But if you're focusing on how you're eating better, how you're finding creative ways to manage days with problem schedules, etc., you can make it through those lags much easier.

Best wishes to those just starting out. It's a long journey, but every step of the way will make you stronger...

elizabeth333

Post by elizabeth333 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:10 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the replies! I had a horrible day yesterday, but I'm gonna bounce back today. Thanks so much for your kind words of encouragement. You all have really helped me through a bad day and helped me to not give up!
Fresh Start Date: March 26th 2008, Fresh Start Weight: 242, Pounds Lost: 0, Current Weight: 242, Goal Weight: 135