What to do when you need chocolate on an Nday

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

sandra

Post by sandra » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:56 pm

I'm in the second week of No-Sing but today I need to have a chocolate biscuit. They have been sitting in the office all week and I've managed to resist easily but today I have a gnawing need. Can someone please say something to bolster my willpower?
Sandra x

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:12 pm

Take one (or two or three) and wrap them up for Saturday -- you're almost there! Think how much more you'll enjoy them then.

If you really don't think you can make it through the week without chocolate, remember that you're allowed a teaspoon or two of sugar in your coffee or tea -- you can reallocate to a teaspoon of nutella or equivalent on your morning bread instead if necessary. It's not ideal (even if it's a wash sugar-calorically, it's a little confusing to habit), but it's better than unambiguously breaking the rules. In any case, it's comforting to know that you COULD do this if necessary. That knowledge, even un-acted on, might be enough to make you feel less deprived and bolster your morale to hold out till the weekend.

Reinhard

apple

Post by apple » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:30 pm

I always thought I needed chocolate before I started this.

The thing is, you really don't.

You might want to have chocolate, but you can survive the day without. Take a short walk, have some tea, and make a plan for something fabulously chocolatey for the weekend. Then you have something to look forward to.

Take care!

franxious

Post by franxious » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:16 pm

At work, every day I am amazed at how much chocolate I am not eating. To get to the ladies' room, the coffee machine, or the exit, I have to walk past TWO coworkers' candy dishes. They are usually full of something that I like. The best thing to to in this situation is to try not to think about the biscuits at all. The more you imagine how good they'd be, or focus on how much you want them, the harder it will be to resist them. If you can manage to concentrate on completely other things, it will be easier.

Good luck!

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:14 pm

Can you move the chocolate biscuits out of reach and out of sight? Research has shown that if food is visible and within reach, people eat much more than if it is tucked away. I find that keeping food out of the way really helps me.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:27 pm

Also, and this applies to the coffee post, too...they make some very yummy herbal teas that satisfy that craving for a warm, nutty flavor without the S. It shouldn't be too confusing to the habit, I think, especially if you don't sweeten it (I don't think it needs it, personally).

Celestial Seasons makes a Vanilla Hazelnut and English Toffee, and Yogi Tea (or is it Yoga Tea) makes some gorgeous nutty, cocoa, vanilla, hazelnut ones. No calories, counts as water!!

franxious

Post by franxious » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:42 am

Thanks, Blondie, that's a good idea. I'll give the full-flavored teas a try.

Betty

Post by Betty » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:50 am

Try a chocolate espresso! I make mine without sugar, but you could put the amount you'd put in a coffee without cheating, I think. It quells, squashes and annihilates every urge you may have for sweet chocolate, especially handy for *those* days of the month.

Here's the recipie: Use a slightly rounded tablespoon of high quality cocoa, and make it into a syrup using a little bit of boiling water. Then, add a cup of boiling hot milk. Mix and enjoy. If you want a smoother taste, melt unsweetened chocolate, but it can't be baking chocolate. It has to come from a place where they make chocolate bon bons or something.

I started making these with tons of milk, but as I got used to having unsweetened chocolate I only use about 100 ml.

sandra

Post by sandra » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:49 am

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I took 2 biscuits and am saving them for tomorrow. So instead of feeling deprived as I normally do I have a wonderful feeling of anticipation and am proud of myself for staying in control x

apple

Post by apple » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:03 am

That's great!

They will taste a lot nicer with anticipation.