Thursdays and Failure

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Betty

Thursdays and Failure

Post by Betty » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:31 am

I take my S days on Friday and Saturday, so Thursday is the last N day of the week. In looking at my habit cal over the past 6 months, I notice that 90% of my failures take place on Thursdays.

Now, Thursday is my hardest work day, but I think the proximity to S days also has something to do with the tendency to secumb to snacks and sweets.

Does anyone else notice a pattern like this in their week? Any tips or ideas on how to keep Thursdays "green"??

Thanks, Betty

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:51 am

Yes, Fridays are always the most vulnerable days for me. No suggestions at the moment, though...

franxious

Post by franxious » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:15 pm

I figure I'm not going to lose any weight during S days, so the last N day of the week is my last chance that week to lose some weight. Maybe just try keeping that in mind on Thursdays?

apple

Post by apple » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:26 pm

My failures usually take place in the middle of the week. When I had two N-days, I just need something sweet to tide me over. And then I'll be good again until the weekend.

Can you give yourself something nice that is not a sweet or snack on Thursday? Like making your favourite tea a "Thursday tea"? Or do something fun like taking a walk, polishing your nails, having a phone conversation with a good friend. Something that makes you happy. Try to find out what it is that you want on a Thursday. Is it really chocolate? Or can that wait another day?

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:56 am

I follow the standard S days and Friday is definitely a hard day for me. Particularly the late afternoon and evening.

For me this is because I finish work early (disruption in routine) and I am also used to starting my weekend on friday evenings.

This habit is proving very hard to break, but I am slowly getting there.

Every time I think of snacking or sweets, I remember my habitcal and think of having to mark that square red - most times it helps. But some weeks like last week the sweets after dinner won and I sadly have a red square on my habitcal.

Every week that I do succeed I feel huge pride in myself that I am slowly beating a habit.

You need to set the boundary and work as hard as you can to maintain it. You may mess up, but the important thing is not to punish yourself and to work doubly hard the following week to beat the old habits.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:15 pm

No-s is automatic for me at this point.... but for other, less established systems I find the "visual motivation" of the habitcal to be an enormous help. Why tarnish your calendar with an unsightly red splotch when there are less than two days left?

Other ideas: start planning your S-day treats. If sweet is the issue, permit yourself a semi sweet borderline food like yoghurt or peanut butter and jelly. That should take the edge off a bit. Or treat yourself to something non-edible, as apple suggests -- food is good, but there are other good things in this world.

Most of all, keep in mind that it does get easier. Each time you resist, you make the next resistance easier. Resist enough and it's barely any work at all. I find that prospect very motivating.

Best of luck,

Reinhard