Valentines S Day

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

elizabeth333

Valentines S Day

Post by elizabeth333 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:21 pm

Hi, Is anyone else taking an S Day for Valentines Day? I wasn't going to but my daughter brought home candy from a school party, and I had a few pieces. I also think that if my husband brings home candy for me I'll have some of that too. I consider Valentines Day a Special occassion. Anybody else?

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:40 pm

I'm taking an S-Day as well, since Valentine's Day really cannot be enjoyed without some chocolate (not in my opinion, anyway).

Suprsingly, my day has been N-like so far, but then again, my habit is pretty much formed. I plan on having a larger dinner and some dessert, but I won't go overboard.

Hope everyone's feeling the love today. :)

Too solid flesh

Valentines S Day

Post by Too solid flesh » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:22 pm

I've made it an S day, too, eating as on an N day but plus two chocolates.

phano

Post by phano » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:17 pm

Oh, yes, definitely an S Day. My husband and I got ice cream this afternoon. Yum!

elizabeth333

Post by elizabeth333 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:44 am

Wow!, I really suprised myself today... When I just had to call V-Day an S-Day, (because I had to have a lollipop my daughter brought home from school), I had a sinking feeling I'd ruin any additional progress I've made this week. To my amazement, all I really wanted was that lolliepop and one small sweet tart! My husband didn't get me candy or chocolate this year, and I wasn't goping to eat the stuff I always have lying around just because I called it an S-Day. I've had my 3 meals and I'm done for the day. I just wouldn't have predicted such a sensible outcome to this day! :D I'm so very happy...

Too solid flesh

Valentines S Day

Post by Too solid flesh » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:51 am

That's wonderful, Elizabeth333! Congratualations.

apple

Post by apple » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:45 pm

I took it as an N-day because I already had an S-day this week which was to me more special than Valentine's day.

But I failed quickly and badly. :(
I never seem to get the "just eat one chocolate and that's it". I always eat all the chocolates until I feel sick. Then vow to never do that again, and repeat the next S-day. I really don't know how to deal with this.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:36 pm

Hi Apple :)
Sorry about the overindulging and feeling sick.
And I'm sure you aren't alone in the "vow to never do it again" and then break the vow. That "all or nothing mentality" is the culprit. It's unrealistic.
The answer is simple, but it does require a little bit of planning...
Only buy yourself a limited amount of special S's for your S day.
Not too little of course cos you will resent the restriction, but don't buy a whole three pound bag of chocolate.
How bout two nice treats per S day??
That's basically how we do our S days, usually, and it's just enough :)
Good luck!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:15 pm

I took it. Seems like a pretty unambiguous S-day (if you have someone who could be construed as your valentine, at least).

As for overdoing it:

1) go for quality, if you can. Skimp on that and you'll more than make up for it with quantity.

2) instead of resolving to just eat one chocolate (impossible), give yourself a bunch on a little plate. Perhaps an even slightly embarrassing amount. And then stop. If you must eat more, make yourself another little plate. Embarrassed? Good! But at least you made a decision. At least you forced yourself to SEE what you're eating. Keep your excess intentional and obvious like this, and you'll eat much less than if you reluctantly and surreptitiously take "one more, one more..." all day long. You might even want to keep at S-event tally if you find you're having problems: make a mark, either on a calendar or on your daily check-in every time you are about to have an S on S-days. Doesn't matter if it's a big or small S-event, frequency is ultimately the real issue, and knowing you have to make a mark before you S, that you can't sneak it, will help keep you in line (plus it's an interesting diagnostic). There is a cost to such tracking of course, both in attention and in the feeling of freedom, so I don't recommend it unless you feel you are having real problems.

3) punctuate your indulgence with a piece of fruit or a drink. Sit down and enjoy it at a set table. Maybe brush your teeth immediately after. Force yourself to wait at least 10 minutes before going back for more. Make it a discreet event with a clear beginning and an end.

4) if all else fails, don't sweat it. Excesses will sometimes happen. Limit them to S days and long term, you'll be all right. This is far more important than all of the above.

Reinhard

apple

Post by apple » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:56 am

Thanks for the advice, Debs and Reinhard. Will follow it next weekend.

This weekend was actually better regarding the overindulging. Still ate a lot, but less than S-days before. I am very slowly learning.