Just started, and just found out I'm pregnant

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

geek

Post by geek » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:10 am

So I was gearing up to start the NoS on Monday, and I discovered I am pregnant. I'm 225lb right now, so I'm hoping to get through this pregnancy without gaining any weight, not so much worried about losing too much. Has anyone else started out while being pregnant? Any suggestions of what I should stick to or modify. Words of advice?

NoelFigart

Re: Just started, and just found out I'm pregnant

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:22 pm

geek wrote:So I was gearing up to start the NoS on Monday, and I discovered I am pregnant. I'm 225lb right now, so I'm hoping to get through this pregnancy without gaining any weight, not so much worried about losing too much. Has anyone else started out while being pregnant? Any suggestions of what I should stick to or modify. Words of advice?
Have you asked your doc about the not gaining weight thing? I know if you start a pregnancy heavier, it's relatively safe not to gain too much, but you're supposed to gain a little for a reason.

Can't help you on the weight gain and pregnancy thing. I started my pregnancy heavy, too, and threw up for nine months, so wound up losing weight when I shouldn't have.

Not eating much sugar would be helpful to you anyway, as there is a small correlation between a higher pre-pregnancy weight and gestational diabetes.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:27 pm

Congrats on your pregnancy!

You're going to have to figure out what you can do regarding No-S with the help of your doctor and attention to your body. I found No-S long after my son was born, but remember that when I was pregnant I had to keep food in my tummy at all times in order not to feel sick. (Once I realized "I'm hungry," I had about 5 minutes to eat or I'd be sick the rest of the day. I had granola bars stashed in my purse, glove box, office desk, etc....)

Noel is right - you should talk to your dr about how much weight you're supposed to gain.

I do think cutting sugar is a great idea. More generally, No-S is about building habits. What habits CAN you build now that will help you both now and in the long run?

(One positive side-effect of my pregnancy - I gave up caffeine, including diet coke. After 9 months without, I no longer liked it! I don't drink soda at all now, and don't miss it a bit.)

Best of luck!!

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:57 pm

Congratulations! How exciting!

Best to consult your doctor, as above.

For what it's worth, I lost weight when breast feeding and was constantly ravenous.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:21 pm

Congratulations! But please be VERY careful.

I'm not sure it's a good idea, much less a possible one, to do much dieting during pregnancy. No-s is very moderate, but still, please really do run everything by your doctor.

As KCCC suggests, cutting out "sweets" during the week is probably safe enough (frankly, they're all probably safe enough, if you give yourself generous firsts and possibly an extra meal allowance for jr.). But do check with your doctor, and do be realistic about how much willpower you're going to have available given your new and growing priority.

Reinhard

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:55 pm

I have precisely no experience or clue about pregnancy, so this may be wildly off, but remember that you're feeding two people and both of those people need three meals a day.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:12 pm

ThomsonsPier wrote:I have precisely no experience or clue about pregnancy, so this may be wildly off, but remember that you're feeding two people and both of those people need three meals a day.
The problem with eating for two is that if she just found out she's pregnant, one of those people is about the size of a raisin.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:05 pm

It takes about 300 extra calories daily to grow a baby. It is possible to to change your eating habits and still get the nutrition you and your baby need. Every woman has differing dietary needs during pregnancy -- and at different times during the pregnancy. Some need to graze, some don't. The details of how you eat during pregnancy should be worked out by your needs and your physician's advice.

Too often we do let pregnancy be an excuse to eat anything and everything. It could be that just eliminating junk food and eating real food will do the job. Or, if you "need" junk food, eat it on S days and make it yourself. That way, you're in control of what's in it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:23 pm

I am eating healthier on this plan than I ever did while being pregnant. Of course you need to talk to your doctor about weight gain and what is the safest way not to have much if any. You need to focus on eating healthy and I really think you can incorporate a good pregnancy diet with the no-S plan easily. You may need one s though - snacks - but an entire bag of Cheetohs isn't a snack - it's a huge mistake. Fruit, whole grain toast, hard boiled egg etc. But that eating for two mentality will get you nothing but trouble. I am not sure how many extra calories you need but if it's 300 like someone suggested, remember that is about 1/2 of a peanut butter sandwich. I was "eating for three" while prego with twins. I gained 70 pounds and lost only 10 when they were born and they were 5lbs and 5.3lbs. Now I am not that good with math, but that doesn't seem possible does it? What about the extra blood and other stuff? So 60 pounds was mine to deal with and 13 years later I am still fighting with 20 of it!!

Congratulations and good luck!!!!!!
Dawn

geek

Post by geek » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:36 am

Thank you everyone for your kind words and advice. I'm thinking that making it No Sugar and No Seconds and keeping the snacks to actual food and not crap might be the way I'll do it. So far my symptoms have been minimal (tiredness notwithstanding) so eating reasonably balanced meals is still easy. I'm glad No S will still be there later. Future offspring deserves a mother who teaches them a good relationship to food and exercise.