Exercise!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

palomayombe

Exercise!

Post by palomayombe » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:00 pm

Last edited by palomayombe on Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:10 pm

Reinhard would be the authority on "equivalent." :)

I have toyed with the notion of Shovelglove, but like you (and others) have taken the "14 minute" idea and filled it with other stuff. For me, it's Pilates.

My take is that regularity is the most important part of the equation.

friscobob

My Routine Is.....

Post by friscobob » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:48 am

........pushups 30
........situps 30
........deep knee bends 30

I do four circuits. No rest between exercises, one minute rest between circuits. This takes me less than 20 minutes to finish. Then on most days I try to walk at least 1 1/2 to 3 miles, and on a good day 4 miles. This simple little routine is something that I can stick to. Best regards, Bob
Health Is The Greatest Wealth!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:05 am

palomayombe,

I would say it is more or less equivalent. "Doing the time" is far more important than any particular exercise. And pushups and squats are great exercise -- I do them myself as part of my shovelglove routine. If you really do them 14 minutes every N-day morning, I think you'll get into great shape. I like to think that shovelglove might be a more muscularly comprehensive workout, but that's fine tuning compared with the far more important part of doing SOMETHING, ANYTHING regularly.

I did a podcast on this subject a little while ago:

http://www.everydaysystems.com/podcast/ ... .php?id=31

The reason I like shovelglove in particular so much is NOT because it's such a physiologically great workout (though I think it is), but because it's fun and interesting enough that I can convince myself to do it five days a week for the rest of my life.

Reinhard