But Atkins worked so well so many times

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kotcherd

But Atkins worked so well so many times

Post by kotcherd » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:15 pm

... but I gained it all back. Thing is, this book says what we all know to be true. We're not fat because we eat beets - it's sweets, seconds, and snacks. My 90 year old father knew to eat well on the weekends and to 'tighten up' during the week.

Reinhard, thanks

joasia

Post by joasia » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:52 pm

I tried Atkins before, I lasted until dinner, then attacked a loaf of bread.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

swimfit

Post by swimfit » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:15 pm

I tried Atkins too. I thought is sounded so good to be able to eat all of that meat and cheese. Didn't even make it 3 full days, couldn't do without fruit!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:30 pm

Yeah, I don't doubt that Atkins can work well short term. I'm sure the cabbage soup diet (to pick a particularly absurd example, though pretty much any diet your hear about will do) is fantastic for about a week. But unfortunately it's not about days or weeks or months or even a year or two. It's about a lifetime. If you've got the long term problem of excessive eating, there's no point in solving a different, smaller problem just because it's easier.

Reinhard

Jaxhil

Post by Jaxhil » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:21 pm

I tried Atkins once. I don't remember even making it through lunch-just the thought of eating only cheese, meat and eggs (which I love, don't get me wrong!) was making me SICK.

Thank God for No S :D
Hilary
_______

"Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity."-St Augustine

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."-Thomas Jefferson

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:30 am

I never tried Atkins, but I lived briefly with two people that were doing the old version of it.
The sight of all that cheese and meat and eggs in the morning, knowing that they were going to be having the same for the rest of the day, every day was sobbering enough, but when they started to look slim, but green in the face and exhausted all the time, I knew that I was better off it!.
Neither one lasted long on it, they both went back to eating regularly about a month after and, of course, regained all the weight back and then some.

joasia

Post by joasia » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:47 am

I refuse to believe that, bread, the food that Jesus ate, the staff of life for thousands of years, causes us to get fat. Granted a lot of the chemical crap they try to pass off as bread today is not good. But real bread is great and good for you. Have you noticed all of the low-carb cooking shows have vanished from the airways. low carb = britney spears, a short lived event.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:24 pm

I totally agree. And someone please tell me, with a straight face, that America got fat from eating fruit, carrots, and beets. :wink:

freegirlnow

Post by freegirlnow » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:40 pm

The book lets you know right at the get go that you need to adhere to it for life for maintenance. It's just not natural or easy to adhere to such an unbalanced regime for life. No S is the only plan that I feel I can live with because it is not just a diet per se, but a life plan. It is a modified behavioral mindset which yields positive results (i.e. weight loss) :)
"Sometimes we need to begin again, to become more fully alive, to realize ourselves"