WOW... this just might be "the one".....

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Bumpkyns

WOW... this just might be "the one".....

Post by Bumpkyns » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:42 am

SO... I discovered this eating plan just tonight, researched it online, found this BB, and here I am. I have COMPLETELY given up on anything other than what I want when I want. Why? SOOOO many failures at SOOOO many different "attempts". Then a year and a half ago, I was diagnosed with Leukemia with only a few weeks left to live, literally... had it not been found. (survived and in remission now)

My first thought? (after wondering how much longer I had to live)... "Well by golly, I'll LOSE WEIGHT NOW"!!!!!!!!!! And if I don't lose weight from THIS... I'll NEVER lose, and will NEVER EVEN WORRY ABOUT TRYING AGAIN!! especially after being forced to realize just how short life can be so I will therefore enjoy it all on MY terms. (even if that did mean in a manner that could actually cut my life short, DUH) So I did lose... 40 lbs in fact, but what a way to lose. UGH! So I got rid of all my big clothes, bought smaller sizes, swearing the weight would never come back, and guess what? 30 of it's back.

So I'm thinkin...Damn, that's pretty sad. How pathetic can I be?? I lost 40 lbs in record time, and even screwed that up. Then I thot now wait a minute, I'm being a bit hard on myself I think...after all, it all happened so fast, it probably wasn't all fat loss and most of the loss was from "losing" what I did eat and/or going for days without eating, nor did it give me any time to even think about changing any habits, much less actually doing it. And let me tell you, after an experience like that, when you DO feel like eating again? And when you can taste good food again instead of metal? Do I even need to explain what I wanted to do at that point? HA!

Having said all that... I don't see how this wouldn't work... I obviously have no discipline to try anything with big restrictions... I mean "real" restrictions.. but it feels very promising to have discovered something with such a simple path to self control. I'm ALL OVER the concept of simplicity, in every aspect of my life. So this looks like the perfect thing for someone like me, and I can't wait to get started. Looking forward to all that comes from finding this BB and new way of life.

Sorry so long, which I wouldn't normally do, but I'm just so dad-gummed excited about this! :D

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:26 pm

Welcome to No S and boards full of wonderful people.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:31 pm

Bumpkyns,

I wouldn't be so hard on yourself, when you've stared death in the face as you have, it makes sense that your waistline will seem a vastly less important consideration -- it was your initial reaction that was strange, not your subsequent re-gaining. Congratulations on having made it past this ordeal! Overeating is a serious problem, but it's not THAT serious.

I think no-s will help you not just lose and maintain a reasonable weight, but also calm you down about it. It may take a few false starts -- it does for most people -- but once you get this habit down, it will profoundly relax you about eating. And you'll come to really enjoy it again. Just keep the focus on behavior, on not overeating, instead of the scale, and bounce back immediately from any little setback. Think of your bad eating habits as an obnoxious little puppy. It'll yap like crazy at first, but be consistent and firm, and soon enough it'll be well trained and jumping through hoops for you.

Reinhard

Jillio

Post by Jillio » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:35 pm

Congrats on the remission! That is wonderful news. Don't be so hard on yourself...I think you are right, you lost it so fast it would be very difficult to keep it all off.

But just think, NOW you have found a real way to deal with the extra lbs. I am right there with you...just found this diet & am VERY excited about it.

Good luck to us both!

Bumpkyns

Post by Bumpkyns » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:08 pm

Thanks SO MUCH for your comments and support. I've joined a couple boards in the past and never even from the get go, felt like it was the right place for me. But I do feel good about this board and look so forward to getting to know you guys. I've been reading some threads/posts and you all sound like people I'd like for a neighbor :lol: I hope I can be as helpful to some on here as it seems you all are to others.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:19 pm

Welcome and congrats on your remission!!

This is a great board with supportive people and I am smitten with the NoS diet :)
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Bumpkyns

Post by Bumpkyns » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:24 am

Thanks Sham... I'm looking fwd to getting to know some regulars on here. :D