Questions about NWS days

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jesseco

Questions about NWS days

Post by Jesseco » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:09 am

The book says to try to keep non-weekend special days to two per month. I have 2 questions.

1. Is it o.k. to have more than two?

2. Is it "kosher" to use one for a restaurant lunch with someone you haven't seen for a long time? (That's not a holiday, religious day, or birthday.)

Thanks!

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:57 am

1) If you do, you may not see the results you want. But of course, that depends on a lot of other factors - how indulgent normal s days are, etc.

2) Why would you need to? One of the joys of No-S is that you CAN eat a normal restaurant meal. Don't have seconds, stick to one plate (and if they bring you a huge one, try to visualize a normal one), skip dessert, and you're good. I eat in restaurants a lot because of work, and it's wonderful to me that I can do it without guilt.

Jesseco

Post by Jesseco » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:03 am

Why would you need to? One of the joys of No-S is that you CAN eat a normal restaurant meal.
I'd need to if she wanted to have a dessert and then I would want one, too!

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:29 am

Lol!

The rules are simple, but they aren't always easy.

Good luck in deciding.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:30 pm

I just bought another diet book (gasp!) -- but I bought it mostly for the recipes since it's written by one of my favorite cookbook authors. It's Pam Anderson's The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight and Eating Great. She said "Diets are like trying to sell everyone the same style and size shoe...If this way of eating is forced on you and not really you, you'll revert back to your old patterns every time. Better to find a way to eat for life."

I came across this idea in a book totally unrelated to diet. Anyone who writes a "how-to" book outlines what has worked for them. We buy it, try to follow the program and find it doesn't work for us. Instead of saying "well, that didn't work for me" and figuring out what will work for us, we tend to feel frustrated at the very least or like failures. The problem isn't YOU -- it's that the program wasn't designed with you in mind! No program works exactly as written for everyone. Many don't work for most people!

To add insult to injury, people who do follow a program successfully will say "well, you're just not trying hard enough" or "you're just not willing to do what it takes" or say, "well, if you did exactly what it says, it would work." That might be true, but we all know that wearing shoes that don't fit is painful. Who wants to be in pain all the time?

What Reinhard has outlined here is what worked for him. I think quite a few of us have tweaked it in one way or another to make it work for us. The habits that work for Reinhard or me or anyone else here may not be exactly what works for you!

1. Some of are going to have more than two non-weekend special days some months. It may slow down the results, but you get to choose!

2. Spending time with a friend or family member you haven't seen in a long time makes a day (or at least that part of the day) special as far as I'm concerned. If you're just meeting for a meal possibly just that meal could be an S-meal, but the rest of the day is No-S as usual.

If you decide to make that meal an S meal, you might be surprised, as I have been on occasion, to get through it and realize you haven't indulged! Just being there was enough "S", I guess!

You decide what works for you and take responsibility for it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Jesseco

Post by Jesseco » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:37 pm

2. Spending time with a friend or family member you haven't seen in a long time makes a day (or at least that part of the day) special as far as I'm concerned. If you're just meeting for a meal possibly just that meal could be an S-meal, but the rest of the day is No-S as usual.
Thank you for your helpful thoughts! Especially the one quoted above.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:52 pm

Wosnes, that is a GREAT post - lot there for us "old timers" to keep in mind as new folks come on.