Carrot salad (slaw)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jesseco

Carrot salad (slaw)

Post by Jesseco » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:13 am

I really don't know what to do with this! Because I am a generally healthful eater, I often have substituted this dish for dessert in the past (before this diet). I'm sure it has quite a bit of sugar in it, but it's mostly carrots, raisins, and I guess mayo. Would you eat it on an N day?

It's probably in the same category as cole slaw, but I never ate cole slaw for dessert!

Thanks!

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:04 am

Jesseo, I think you should read the pages on No-S carefully.

It says no "sweets," not no sugar. However, there may be gray areas, and you'll just have to decide "is this a problem?" or not.

For example (since examples may help), I put sugar in my coffee and don't think twice about it, since I rarely drink more than two cups in a day. I also eat yogurt, because it's not something I eat regularly (some people have issues with it).

However, I freeze regular yogurt for my son... and though I'll eat the exact same yogurt un-frozen, I won't eat it frozen. It's too "dessert-y". And I think it undermines the "no sweets" rule because it FEELS like a sweet to me.

So normally, I'd say your slaw was fine even if it had some sugar in it... until you said you ate it as dessert. So, I'm thinking you may need to think carefully about it.

The rules of No-S are simple, but we each have to decide on implementation. It's an exercise in defeating self-deception at times.

PS - remember you can change your mind. You can decide it's okay for now, since you're learning. (especially if you'd feel too deprived if you cut it out).. and decide that it really is a problem once your general habits are stronger.

Good luck.

Jesseco

Post by Jesseco » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:19 am

PS - remember you can change your mind. You can decide it's okay for now, since you're learning. (especially if you'd feel too deprived if you cut it out).. and decide that it really is a problem once your general habits are stronger.
I like this idea. Thanks!

So normally, I'd say your slaw was fine even if it had some sugar in it... until you said you ate it as dessert.
This is true, but I have also sometimes called fruit "dessert".

Thanks so much for your helpful replies!!!!!