WHERE ARE THOSE OATMEAL IDEAS?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Bumpkyns

Post by Bumpkyns » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:59 am

Hi everyone,

There was a thread somewhere recently that had various ideas on what to do with oatmeal (the fruit/nut thing, soaking overnight, etc..) I even posted on it and still can't find it, but I think part of that is due to my migraine where blinking hurts, much less surfing.

Anyway, I just really want to start right tomorrow and wanted to try one of those ideas so if you know where it is and can post me the link here, or tell me the title of the thread, I'll see what I can get ready for breakfast tomorrow. Thanks you all...

Off to close my eyes for awhile...
Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light!

camburger

Post by camburger » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:23 am

I think it's titled "learning to balance". It's kind of recent, shouldn't be hard to find.

Bumpkyns

Post by Bumpkyns » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:57 am

Thanks so much!!!

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:32 am

Good luck finding it!

For soaking... I do equal amounts of old-fashioned oats and milk, tiny dash of salt, large dash of cinnamon.

In the morning I microwave a portion (about a cup) for one minute, then add trail mix (a nuts/dried fruit blend), plus a banana.

The soaking/heating combination is much faster than trying to cook it in the morning.

roseha

Post by roseha » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:12 am

Bump there is a company called Old Wessex, I don't know if they sell everywhere but they make the *best* instant oatmeal I've ever had. They sell it in a round cardboard box with a blue top. You just pour boiling water into it and it is great.

I have been having the organic kind (green top I think) but that's hard to find outside the health food stores. It is tasty. I think Reinhard eats some kind of Old Wessex for lunch.

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:27 am

Soaking / cooking oats is important because it destroys a substance which makes raw oats difficult to digest. Also, when oats are soaked well milk isn't really needed as the oats turn the water kind of milky anyway.

If I have proper oats in the morning, I'll pour hot water over them and then cover and leave for 30 mins while I shower etc. after that they've softened and absorbed all the water, I then heat up and add in a little soya milk, raisins and cinnamon then top with some ground flax seeds (I love these, but they are an acquired taste I've been told!).

I've heard that the proper way to eat swiss muesli is to let the oats soak in water or milk first (e.g. overnight in the fridge). If I have swiss muesli I'll leave it to soak in soya milk in the fridge for say an hour before eating it, which I find makes it a bit easter to eat and digest.

I must confess though that most mornings I make up a bowl of instant oats with hot water :oops: with the usual toppings, instant oats aren't bad if you like something a bit lighter than normal oatmeal.

2poodles

Post by 2poodles » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:42 am

I'm a a big fan of John McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal. I make a big batch (1 cup dried oats with 4 cups of boiling water). It takes 1/2 hour to cook, but it makes enough for 4 days. (1 cooked cup/serving). I just microwave it on subsequent days. It's delicious and I don't need to add milk or cream. I usually add chopped nuts and raisins. I'm gonna go make some now!
2poodles

Bumpkyns

Post by Bumpkyns » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:47 pm

Great ideas guys.... I'll be able to find this thread since I did it..ha!

I was so miserable last night from the migraine, I just couldn't do anything. Had nothing available this morning and woke up an hour late, so I stopped at a local bagel shop and got a whole wheat bagel with scrambled egg, swiss cheese, mushrooms and spinach. That's better I spose than the yucky stuff at McDonalds or Burger King... :wink:

Well thanks again, you all are awesome!!

Bumpy

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:28 am

Bumpkyns wrote: I was so miserable last night from the migraine, I just couldn't do anything. Had nothing available this morning and woke up an hour late, so I stopped at a local bagel shop and got a whole wheat bagel with scrambled egg, swiss cheese, mushrooms and spinach. That's better I spose than the yucky stuff at McDonalds or Burger King... :wink:
Sounds like a good breakfast, and you must have needed it after the migraine.

3aday

Post by 3aday » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:47 am

That breakfast sounds deelish!

Bumpkyns

Post by Bumpkyns » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:05 pm

oooh honey, it was SOOOO good... do any of you have a Star Bagel anywhere near you? This may be the only one as far as I know, I don't know if they've branched out or not. But they put all that good stuff in the bagel, then cut it in half after heating everything and it's awesome!

I have a new problem now... but will post it as a new thread so I can get all the advice I can..

Hugs to all of you..;
Bumpy

TigerCrane

Post by TigerCrane » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:48 pm

Muesli! Eat muesli! Muesli is SO good! And muesli is good for you!

Muesli is European style granola, based on oats. It sounds similar to what's being described here...rolled outs fruits and nuts. You can pour milk over it and eat it like a dry cereal. Let it soak for a few minutes and it get mushy and good. Let it soak overnight and it become a rich porrige. You can even put coffee on it! Or juice. Its even good with water. You can eat it hot! Muesli is good! Eat Muesli!!!!

Bumpkyns

Post by Bumpkyns » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:40 pm

LOL Well guess what Tiger... I ATE MUESLI!! WOOHOOOO and I LIKED IT!! I plan to eat it a lot actually... and the oatmeal/meusli ideas sound great!! Easy to do the night before, cover, and wham! It's ready for breakfast whenever you are.