I Love Breakfast!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

xJocelynx87

I Love Breakfast!

Post by xJocelynx87 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:10 am

I know there have been threads like this before, but I really enjoy reading what people eat for breakfast. It's my favorite meal of the day and I like getting new ideas.

A few of my regulars are Kashi cereal with fresh fruit, whole milk, and coffee OR an English muffin with peanut butter or cheese, fresh fruit, and coffee. (I can always count on both of these to get me through till lunch.)

What does everyone else have?

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:33 am

This morning I had waffles of the potato variety because someone else cooked them. I usually have cereal or toast, except at the weekends when I have time to engineer some strange and glorious concoction involving whatever looks interesting at the time.

I am not a morning person.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

paulrone

Post by paulrone » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:31 pm

Monday - oatmeal, banana
Tuesday - oatmeal, banana
Wednesday - oatmeal, banana
Thursday - oatmeal, banana
Friday - oatmeal, banana
Saturday - 2 egg omelet, banana
Sunday - toast, yogurt, apple

I hope you can glean some creative breakfast ideas from my menu. :wink:
-Sometimes Fundamentalist and self-appointed King of the S-day Moderates
"As it is (sometimes) written, so let it (sometimes) be done."

mausfrau

Post by mausfrau » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:28 pm

Breakfast is actually harder for me than any other meal because for YEARS my breakfast has been a bowl of cereal (usually Shredded Wheat & Bran, but occasionally Kashi or Raisin Bran if there's a good sale at the grocery store) with lowfat milk. Unfortunately, that's not really enough to get me through the morning, so I've added a planned snack--an English muffin with butter, with fresh fruit if I've got any around--at 10:00. I tried eating all of that just for breakfast, but just can't seem to choke it all down at one sitting in the morning. So... I do four meals instead of three. Or I split one into two parts, whatever.

FWIW, this is almost exactly the same thing I ate in the morning back when I was young and slim, except that I didn't use butter back then. And also, I hardly ever had fresh fruit unless it was completely in season, because a) it wasn't as widely available back then; and b) even when it was, I could only afford in-season fruit on my paltry salary. :-)

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:17 pm

I'm one of those night owls; I fall asleep at about five in the morning and then I sleep eight hours after that.
Luckily, I've been able to function my entire life in accordance to the rest of the world, but, when living with other people that meant that my breakfast would usually be their lunch.
So I'm used to eat anything, really.
But I always start my "morning" with yerba mate, which is an herbal hot brew we drink over there in S. America and I wait a little before I have anything to eat.

Recently, though, I've been trying out the Middle Eastern traditions of having soups and bean dishes for breakfast, if you do have the time to prepare them the night before, they are really worth it.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:30 pm

I have a few different "menus" for b'fast.

Today: Cashew butter and jelly on wheat toast with 2 hard eggs and a banana.

Yesterday and Tues: Meusli (bob's red mill) with yoplait yogurt mixed in. Apple or banana, one hard boiled egg.

Monday: "eggwich" Toasted wheat english muffin with one egg scrambled but kept in the shape of the muffin so it fits nicely on the muffin. top with one slice of cheese and pepper. YUM. Sometimes I put a soysage patty on it as well. Fruit.

The weekends I typically do either pancakes and eggs and bacon or something like a farmer's b'fast with fried b'fast potatoes, eggs, bacon.
And rarely now I will do the pillsbury cinnamon rolls, but I find them too sweet lately, and they make me feel way too hungry all day, to start out the day with a sweet.

There ya have it. I used to htink I didn't need much b'fast but I find that If I really balance it and touch on fruit, carb, protein, fat, that I am good to go until lunch.
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

lola628

breakfast

Post by lola628 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:34 am

Spelt flakes w/ greek yogurt and almond milk. Black tea

or

Egg sandwich on toasted english, black tea

or

Jack's Iced cappuccino with a pumpkin cranberry muffin

I've been trying to convert to green teas but I absolutely adore black tea and I drink English teas all day long. Some days I mix my green tea with rooibos just to get it down my throat.....it's okay.

Oh, Ito En makes the best cold green teas. It's bottled without being sweetened. Now that, I can drink all day. It's fantastic, although pricey at $2 per bottle.

I can't eat French toast or pancakes for breakfast, I'd be fast asleep by 10 am if I did that....plus those foods make me feel puffy.

jmmsings

Cereal for breakfast?

Post by jmmsings » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:46 pm

I just joined - Looking for something I can live with. Does the no sugar part mean no Frosted Rice Krispies in the morning? Don't want to start out Monday morning and mess up before I begin. I'll research more later, but that was my initial question. Thanks :?

lola628

I love breakfast!

Post by lola628 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:19 pm

I'm a newbie too, but I assume cereals that contain sugar on N days is a no....

I had Puffins (they contain cane sugar) for breakfast this morning (Saturday) because they have sugar, but I'm not going to eat them during my N days.

If I'm wrong someone please advise!

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:21 pm

Now, my breakfasts typically are:
Grilled cheese sandwich (my most common breakfast). Basically, that is all my husband will ever eat for breakfast so most of the time I eat it too.
Or
A slice of whole wheat bread with chunky peanut butter and granola sprinkled on top
Or
A whole wheat and peanut butter and all fruit jam sandwich

I used to eat a whole sandwich and a whole banana for breakfast but my breakfasts during the week are now a half sandwich on one slice of bread and half a banana. I am not as hungry as I used to be in the morning.

On Saturdays, I like frozen pancakes because I am only making breakfast for myself.

Always, Always, coffee w/half and half.

Today I had leftover pizza for breakfast. :D

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:39 pm

About the cereal:

I know personally, when I started No S, I ate cereal like Frosted Shredded Wheat. I, personally, eat what No S considers "borderline foods" during the week because this is a lifetime plan for me and that works for me. I just don't eat a lot of them and I don't eat in between meals or after dinner anymore.

I like cereal. I like granola...But, I stopped eating cereal in the morning only because my husband only eats grilled cheese sandwiches for breakfast during the week so it's just easier for me to have a piece of bread with cheese toasted in the George Foreman when making his or to smear some peanut butter and granola or jam on a piece of bread while I make his sandwich if I don' feel like cheese that morning. (However, I find I am getting bored of bread and cheese and bread and peanut butter so I am probably going to switch to something else soon. I tend to eat the same thing for a while for breakfast or lunch and then get tired of it.)

If you like cereal for breakfast, eat it and don't worry too much about it. I think it's more important to just get into the habit of not eating between meals and after dinner and then once the habit is in place, then tweak it. You may discover that once you take the snacks out your life, your tolerance for sweet foods may diminish over time and you won't want the Frosted Rice Krispies. It's a gradual process that you will personalize over time.

:)

tracey

Post by tracey » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:34 pm

My Mom always made us eat breakfast before school and was continually praised by our teachers for being the only alert kids in their classes. ;)

Here are some of my favorites:

grilled cheese & vegetable beef soup
scrambled eggs cooked with hamburger and toast or bagel
bagel sandwich with eggs, bacon/ham
bagel with cream cheese and cold cut ham

I never liked traditional breakfast foods so she'd make whatever it was that we would eat.

Currently my breakfast has been:

yogurt and a bowl of raisin bran with whole milk

But tomorrow .. I am so having a grilled cheese .. that sounds delicious.

Mavilu

Re: I love breakfast!

Post by Mavilu » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:27 pm

lola628 wrote:I'm a newbie too, but I assume cereals that contain sugar on N days is a no....

I had Puffins (they contain cane sugar) for breakfast this morning (Saturday) because they have sugar, but I'm not going to eat them during my N days.

If I'm wrong someone please advise!
I LOVE Puffins!, it's the only cereal I like.
The Original Puffins have only 5 grams of sugar per serving, I wouldn't worry about it, it's not a "sugary cereal" and with 5 grams of fiber and only 90 calories, I don't see how this would qualify as sweets.
Enjoy!.

lola628

Post by lola628 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:11 am

Oh fantastic! I will eat the Puffins during N days then. Thanks Mavilu!

homeostacis

Post by homeostacis » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:17 am

I'd kill to have the time to make the stuff you guys talk of. The bux comes at a quarter to seven and I like my sleep. (I wake up 6:10) But you've inspired me - I had this amazing, itsty-bisty grilled cheese sandwhich at a restaurant ten years ago and became so obsessed I went into the kitchen (it was relatively late, so the restaurant was almost empty) and asked them how they prepared it. Turns out, they used frozen ones - from Smuckers, the place that makes jelly! I had my mom buy me some forever ago and never found a way to eat the, since they needed to be mircowaved, but they'd probably be awesome for breakfast! Thanks for the advice, and wish me luck - tomorrow my first day without snacks!

franxious

Post by franxious » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:13 pm

Lately I've been having a Fabulous Flats whole wheat tandoori naan and a carton of Nancy's kefir. Sometimes I'll put a little almond butter or peanut butter on the naan, but usually I have it plain. I like it because it's chewy and big. I rip off little pieces and it seems to last a long time. If I have time, I toast it -- it smells really good!

This weekend I had a cinnamon raisin bagel with peanut butter for breakfast.

If I went out to a restaurant for breakfast, I'd probably have a veggie and cheese omelette with bacon, and maybe some toast or potatoes. I love french toast and waffles and pancakes, but those don't tend to have enough staying power for me.