Using our (No-S) powers for good...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Blithe Morning

Using our (No-S) powers for good...

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:40 am

On Wednesday nights, I lead a group of Grade 3-5 girls at church from 6:30-8:00. We have a lesson, do an activity page, sometimes work on a project or craft.

About half the time we have a snack. The girls usually ask for it and many of them seem really hungry. Sometimes we don't have a snack. I had a snack of fudge striped cookies already to go for tonight and then forgot them.

So, now I'm wondering about just quietly doing away with snacks all together except for birthdays and holidays. I am trying to remember when I was in Girl Scouts if we had a snack everytime.

Nay

Post by Nay » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:36 am

That's interesting...when I was a girl scout 45 years ago, we never had snacks. Back then, people pretty much stuck to 3 meals a day. Imagine that! I never thought about it, but that's the way it was.

rose

Post by rose » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:46 am

If they've already had supper then a snack is not useful. However, if they have not yet had supper, then they are probably hungry. How about having a non-sweet snack on hand? (fruit, plain bread, if they ask for it).
Unfortunately healthy snacks often have a limited shelf-life! So this might not be practical for you.

How about consulting parents too? Just so everyone is clear on whether the kids will get a snack during their activity or not.
If you agree on a general "no snacks" rule, then you could warn them beforehand on special occasions when you have cake etc so that the parents can give them a lighter supper.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:08 pm

At our house, a "snack" is healthy food (or reasonably so), and a sweet is a "dessert." It's a very good distinction, and the result is that my son asks for a snack only when he's really hungry. Well, sometimes he still asks for sweets between meals - hope springs eternal! - but the mean mom [that would be me] says "not until after dinner, but you can have an apple now if you like."

Offer snack, but not a dessert. If they're really hungry, they'll eat fruit or cheese and crackers. If not, they're less likely to eat it just b/c it's there.

And I agree that checking with the parents on whether they've had supper is a good plan.

PS - If you take fruit, just take things you'll use up if they don't eat it. Crackers keep well, though not as healthy. Pretzels are middling-ok (mostly flour and salt, but at least no sugar) and keep well. Raisins keep well, too.

Rilee

School day snacking

Post by Rilee » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:44 pm

Now that I think of it, we didn't get snacks at school or if we went to scouting afterwards. I went to parochial school and we got a milk break in the morning between the time we got there and lunch. Funny thing, I don't ever remember any kids not taking it. Was there lactose intolerace back then? Hmmmmmm...anyway, I do remember feeling like I was going to starve by suppertime.