Have you noticed....?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mjn

Have you noticed....?

Post by mjn » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:43 am

Has anyone else noticed with nosing and eating regular meals and less snacks and sweets, that processed foods taste yucky? I ate some Cheese Pringles last night and they didn't taste like food!!! My husband didn't notice any difference in the chips, but I sure did. I have been on different diets before and never had that experience. I love this way of eating. My body feels healthy and I have so much energy.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:46 am

I've noticed it, too. The things I noticed it with were a brand-name granola and a vanilla yogurt. I kept looking for the artificial sweeteners in the ingredients list -- and there weren't any. They tasted absolutely awful.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:01 pm

I can't eat any kind of artificially flavored or loaded with chemicals anything anymore. It just coats my tongue and leaves me doing this thing with my mouth my dog does when he licks his skin cream off his leg. We aren't even talking about my reaction to soda. I used to drink 4 or 5 a day and I can't even stomach three sips anymore. It just tastes like a science project.

My mother in law not so jokingly says I've become a food snob. I'm pretty proud of that. It doesn't have to be expensive or fancy but it has to be 100% real food.
Heather

Nay

Post by Nay » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:10 pm

Funny you should mention it, but YES. After only two weeks on no S, today I just hit my second set of S days and, despite my anticipation and longing for the premium ice cream I bought, I found that it didn't taste very good!! I ate less than a cup and I said to myself, "Uggh, that's plenty." And I don't think I am going to want any more. Ever.

I also made some minimuffins from all-natural ingredients and had a few this morning, but they are too sweet for me. I can feel my blood sugar doing funny things, so the ice cream and the muffins are having weird and unpleasant effects on me. Geez. I think I'll have a salad for lunch. I can see how people start to lay off the junk -- it makes you feel sick.

I have also given up diet soda (never drank the sugared stuff--always thought it was awful) and I am actually able to sleep at night. I thought that if I only had the diet soda in the morning, it couldn't affect my sleep at night. Wrong. At least for me.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:24 pm

Nay wrote:Funny you should mention it, but YES. After only two weeks on no S, today I just hit my second set of S days and, despite my anticipation and longing for the premium ice cream I bought, I found that it didn't taste very good!! I ate less than a cup and I said to myself, "Uggh, that's plenty." And I don't think I am going to want any more. Ever.

I also made some minimuffins from all-natural ingredients and had a few this morning, but they are too sweet for me. I can feel my blood sugar doing funny things, so the ice cream and the muffins are having weird and unpleasant effects on me. Geez. I think I'll have a salad for lunch. I can see how people start to lay off the junk -- it makes you feel sick.

I have also given up diet soda (never drank the sugared stuff--always thought it was awful) and I am actually able to sleep at night. I thought that if I only had the diet soda in the morning, it couldn't affect my sleep at night. Wrong. At least for me.
Well, we're all different, that's for sure. I've found I can eat anything as long as 1) when I read the ingredients list it's all thing I have in my kitchen or 2) I make it myself. One thing about making dishes yourself, most of the time you can decrease the sugar, for instance, and still get a good product.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:42 pm

It is AMAZING how our palate changes!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:35 pm

Yes! I am very much teh same way. When I walk through the candy/sweets aisle at the grocery store, that sweetly chemically smell makes me nauseas, and I actually hold my sleeve over my nose and rush through the aisle quickly! Bleh.
I also find things like flavoring packets in stir fry mixes pretty yucky and I especially very much DISLIKE soda! Bleh!

I also just feel a ton better, especially since I plan my meals nicely- carb, fruit/veggie, protein. Feed youself well and you really don't have much to be hungry about really.

NoS is so awesome!
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:33 am

lmt2pt wrote:My mother in law not so jokingly says I've become a food snob. I'm pretty proud of that. It doesn't have to be expensive or fancy but it has to be 100% real food.
I'm also becoming a food snob. Two things happened yesterday that surprised me. One, I wanted a Coke -- what I really wanted was the cold fizziness. So, I bought one while I was out and poured a glass at home. I couldn't believe how "bad" it tasted.

Second, I made soup for dinner and decided to make a bread to go with it that called for a tube of the rolls from the refrigerated section of the grocery. It's been years since I used those and I assumed they'd taste a little off, but I was totally unprepared for exactly how bad they tasted and how completely unsatisfying they are.

mjn

Post by mjn » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:11 am

I am glad it's not just me. I have noticed it mostly with the packaged type snack foods, yuck!! I don't like diet or regular pop anymore either. I think it is all about choices, too. I think when we were overeating and grazing all the time, we just didn't notice it or care, we just ate. Now I am more selective about what I want on my plate and I only want the things that taste good and are healthy for me. Oh, I still like my buttered popcorn and a sweet now and then, but this is really working for me. I have been using the luncheon size plates for my meals and they are working out just great. I really feel full when I eat a whole plate of food.

camburger

Post by camburger » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:58 am

I definitely agree. Even before I started No S, I tried to stay away from additives and whatnot as I'm allergic to some preservatives, but anything junk foody tastes really gross now. Most sweets also tend to taste too sweet.

Another thing I've noticed is that high quality, healthy food tastes even yummier now because it's not taken for granted. All you get that one plate so you can't help but really enjoy it.

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:10 am

True for both sugar and salt

I found that within 2-3 weeks of giving up sweets, regular sweet things tasted way too sweet. I also notice the natural sweetness in foods much more, even foods not considered sweet such as rice, unsweetened oats, soya milk (unsweetened, I hate that sweetened stuff), even tea.

A few months ago I also gave up salt in order to control water retention, and guess what? same thing applies! Now, pre-made snacks and convenience foods taste way too salty for my liking. It took about 2 weeks for my taste buds to adjust, but now I notice the natural flavours of foods much more, I found it helps to boost flavours with chilli, garlic, herbs, spices and lemon juice, which really takes away the need for added salt, especially helpful in the beginning when weaning yourself off it.

p.s. more detail if anyone is interested: I now don't add salt when cooking or at the table, but I still sometimes use ingredients which may have salt added such as pasta sauce, or some convenience foods such as veggie burgers - and I no longer suffer from water retention and am completely free from monthly mastalgia (breast pain) didn't realise it could be so simple, I'd recommend it to anyone who suffers from water retention.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:52 pm

Bonnie
I am interested, I suffer from terrible water retention.
Thanks
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:14 pm

MerryKat wrote:Bonnie
I am interested, I suffer from terrible water retention.
Thanks
Hi MerryKat, I just sent you a PM with a bit more detail if that helps :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:24 pm

I have congestive heart failure and my cardiologist told me he wasn't worried about the salt I used in cooking or at the table, but to watch prepared foods. About 70% of the sodium in our diets comes from processed foods. He neglected to mention restaurant foods -- especially chain and fast-food restaurants.

I've pretty much stopped using prepared foods, but use some salt in cooking and at the table (if needed) and have no problems at all.

mausfrau

Post by mausfrau » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:00 am

My mother was diagnosed with high blood pressure when I was really young, so I pretty much grew up eating and cooking without extra salt, and with low-sodium ingredients (such as they were, in the 70s and 80s; there are a lot more of them now, thank goodness). I've had a problem with things tasting too salty for a long time. There are restaurants I can't go to because all I can taste is salt. But from what I understand, it's not even the salt we can taste that's the killer: it's the sodium that we don't necessarily recognize by a salty taste, esp. in processed foods.

I'm just amazed that I can get halfway through Saturday before I even remember that I can have sweets if I want them. Just a few weeks ago that would definitely not have slipped my mind. :-)

Jaxhil

Post by Jaxhil » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:50 am

YES! I definitely have noticed that processed foods are not what they used to be-in fact, that they're quite gross :P And when I do indulge in a sweet on the weekend, it often shocks me how sweet it tastes-sometimes to the point of being unbearable! I eat a lot less sweets, thanks to NoS!

Nay, I make muffins from scratch a lot, and find that for most recipes, I need no more than 1/3 cup of sugar for a regular batch of 12 muffins (or 24 mini-muffins). Now, that is not a lot of sugar-they taste *slightly* sweet, and you can have them without it being qualified as a sweet. And when I make banana muffins, I have actually forgone the sugar entirely (the first time it was an accident) -and not missed it at all!
Hilary
_______

"Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity."-St Augustine

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."-Thomas Jefferson

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:25 am

I'm trying to remember where I read that Americans are used to more "sweet" in their sweets than people from other countries.

I usually don't find things that are homemade too sweet, but most store bought things are just awful. Plus, there's an "off" taste in so many of them that I think has to do with premade or premixed ingredients with additives to prevent spoilage.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:30 pm

I've noticed it!

That "spotlight" of three single plate meals isn't just a cute metaphor, it really does make you take them more seriously. You just don't want to waste your meal opportunity on crap. It raises the "opportunity cost" of crap.

Funny how these "side effects" of No-s seem almost more important than direct ones. Losing weight, that's great and all, but really enjoying food again, that's invaluable.

Reinhard

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:09 pm

I am liking "real food" more and more, even though I still appreciate the flexibility to put other stuff on my plate if I really want it. It extends in a lot of areas. For example, I won't make "recipes" that include canned soups, or pre-made mixes.

I have enjoyed baking on the weekends, and it's definitely made me more choosy. This weekend, I was at a retreat with a buffet. And I went up to check out the desserts, saw they were all "mix and pre-made" quality... and didn't bother.

Mind you, I still eat high-sugar home-made... just less than I might have before.

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:30 am

reinhard wrote:Funny how these "side effects" of No-s seem almost more important than direct ones. Losing weight, that's great and all, but really enjoying food again, that's invaluable.
I couldn't agree more, I originally started No S thinking I would just use it to lose a bit of extra weight and get control of overeating tendancies. The extra benefits almost overshadowed these in my experience (I really didn't expect to have better energy levels while actually eating less food than before!).