Thoughts on eating disorders and more praise for No S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jesseco

Thoughts on eating disorders and more praise for No S

Post by Jesseco » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:25 pm

I was reviewing two books I have on eating disorders (I've struggled with being borderline anorexic and then binge eating). One of them (from a man who escaped from Russia years ago) says to only eat 3 meals a day, period. Only water in between. No snacks ever. Desserts o.k. with meals (his rule was also no seconds). He says that while we are free in the states (whereas he wasn't so free at that time in the USSR), we become slaves to our appetites. I never did his diet plan, though, because it seemed too harsh.

My other book says there are two helpful paths to follow, depending on your personality. One is the addiction model (OA etc.) where you plan, weigh, measure, everything. The other is eating when and only when you are hungry.

I've bounced back and forth between those extremes and they have never satisfied me. I got SICK of weighing, measuring, and counting everything and then binged anyway. And, as far as eating only when hungry, I may be hungry one minute, yet wait 5 minutes and I feel full again.

I love this idea of HABITS! When did it go out of style? I am training my appetite to meet my needs! Now that I've consistently been eating only 3 times each day, I'm starting to find that I am no longer hungry before bed, like I used to be!!! This is amazing to me!

And with No S, it is not so draconian that I won't even try it! My eating plan had kind of evolved to almost be like No S right before I found the book, but No S refined and made it almost perfect for me. Thank you again, Reinhard!

My ONLY problem now seems to be with S days, and I'm trying a few things. Today (Sat.) I had a pretty big breakfast, but I am determined to not be an idiot! I think I will have one preplanned yummy dessert after dinner. And I CAN wait!

I wish that I had been more disciplined when my children were younger and had instilled in them good habits. They are young adults now, and I think it would have helped them in life (not to mention me).

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:29 pm

Good S days develop over time. At first mine were all the junk food I saw others eat on N days. Then I started being dissatisfied with the junk. Then I realized when I was watching others eat junk I could distract myself by planning a few, very decadent, treats for the weekend. Then my treats turned into a Saturday brunch, gourmet afternoon appetizers, a 4 (small portion) course gourmet dinner, and my husband and I split a small portion of a truly decadent dessert with yummy left overs on Sunday. We usually don't have leftovers of the dessert because it is so indulgent we just don't want anymore than the one portion that my husband and I split. Just like what you put on your plate gets better the longer you No S, so do your S days.
Heather

wosnes

Re: Thoughts on eating disorders and more praise for No S

Post by wosnes » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:58 pm

Jesseco wrote: I love this idea of HABITS! When did it go out of style?
I think habits started to go out of style after WWII, but really became less of a force in the 60s and 70s as the food industry (including fast food joints) started to make us believe that it was okay to eat 24/7. Beyond that, they found that lower quality food didn't satisfy us as much as high quality food, so if they consistently fed us lower quality food, we'd eat more and more trying to get satisfied.

Unfortunately for them, we're catching on. Hopefully the tide will turn back to the older ways more quickly.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:39 pm

I was reviewing two books I have on eating disorders (I've struggled with being borderline anorexic and then binge eating). One of them (from a man who escaped from Russia years ago) says to only eat 3 meals a day, period. Only water in between. No snacks ever. Desserts o.k. with meals (his rule was also no seconds). He says that while we are free in the states (whereas he wasn't so free at that time in the USSR), we become slaves to our appetites. I never did his diet plan, though, because it seemed too harsh.

Jesseco,

that is a really interesting insight that you shared with us. Through the years I have found for me that only water works best for me too.
I am not sure why but even when I get off to things like non-sweetened herbal teas I go whack!whack!

I know for a lot of people these work really well ... but I am one that has to stick to just water between my meals on N days and keep my drinky things with meals on S days. I am also glad that No S is not so harsh ....
we get those wonderful S days,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:40 pm

I like to stick with just water between meals too. I find that even having a glass of milk makes me all wonky and then I get really hungry at meal time.

My "hungry between meals" has improved a BUNCH since I have stuck to the new habits, told myself its' ok to be a little hungry sometimes (it's just a feeling after all, I won't die from it!) and I just plain ignore growly hungry tummies now (even though it can be darn annoying LOL). The more I ignore the less I even notice what my innards are doing ;)
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:04 pm

shamrock mommy
My "hungry between meals" has improved a BUNCH since I have stuck to the new habits, told myself its' ok to be a little hungry sometimes (it's just a feeling after all, I won't die from it!) ... The more I ignore the less I even notice what my innards are doing
that is so cool!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:58 am

I love this idea of HABITS! When did it go out of style?
Me too! Not sure when it went out of style. It was hugely in style for thousands of years. Aristotle thought that all virtues (not just dietary ones :-)) were essentially habits. The modern dichotomy of addiction vs. total freedom seems neither more accurate nor more useful a model. It's pretty crude in fact. And all it's helpful for is excuses.

Reinhard