Work 12 hour night shift-how do I plan meals?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

stargazer_1118

Work 12 hour night shift-how do I plan meals?

Post by stargazer_1118 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:46 pm

:roll: I work from 4 in the afternoon until 4 in the morning 3 days a week. I am up in the morning to get kids off to school and then might take an hour nap before work. This means I'm up for about 20 hours. How do I plan only 3 meals? I would be starving if I could only eat 3 times..............HELP please!

Thanks !

silver

Post by silver » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:14 pm

plan 4 meals. that's what i do. my working day starts at 5.30 and i go to bed before midnight. well, i try to...

anyway, i have a proper breakfast (after experimenting in order to modify i found out i just have to) i have some fruit and yogurt and maybe nuts at about 11.30. that's because i have lunch really late, about 3.pm. by then i'm really hungry, so that's my main meal of the day. my dinner time is between 8-9 p.m. my dinner and that meal i have before noon make a full meal. i just divided one into two and it suits me perfectly. i'm not saying it would work for you, but you might try. or you might try something else. no-s rules are not so strict. good luck

stargazer_1118

Post by stargazer_1118 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:11 am

Thanks for the tip!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:57 pm

Silver gives good advice.

3 meals is probably better than 4 if you can swing it, just because it makes it harder for excess to creep in, but 4 meals is much better than chaos. With a little bit of extra attention, 4 meals can work just fine.

Reinhard

roseha

Post by roseha » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:38 am

I sympathize stargazer, it is very hard to work at night and lose sleep and not have normal eating patterns either.

Are you able to eat a good meal at home? And devote a little more time to it?

I am trying to sort this out too because I work 2 pm to 10 pm which isn't that bad but is still not the normal routine. I do miss eating dinner at home but right now I just try to have a dinner I like that is not too fattening. Often I get vegetarian Indian food (no bread or samosa now).

But I am trying to rededicate myself to N days yet again, and one thing I am doing is eating lunch at home if at all possible and eating it *slowly*. I hate rushing my meals but that's what I was doing twice a day - and eating fast food a lot - and it just makes it worse.

I don't know if this applies to you but I do think it's helping me to eat at home when I can.