Gimme an idea pls...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Summer

Gimme an idea pls...

Post by Summer » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:42 am

How much weight are people losing the first few months?

navin

Post by navin » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:00 am

It'll depend greatly on the individual, and how much you have to lose. I lost maybe a pound a month, and that rate lasted for a couple of years.
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

joasia

Post by joasia » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:09 am

It all has to do with how much weight you start out with. If you have 100 pounds to lose you will lose faster in the beginning than someone who has 20 to lose.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Judy

Post by Judy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:48 pm

I'm very new, but I'm sure it also depends on what you choose to eat for your meals, and how you spend your N days.

I understand that nothing is forbidden, but if you eat two slices of commercially prepared pizza for lunch, you'd get more calories than a Lean Cuisine pizza (for example). If your careful choices outweigh your not-so-careful choices, you'll lose more. And if you go way over-board on the S days, you'll undo a lot of what you did during the N days.

One of the things I like about this plan is that you can have virtually any meal as long as you don't have seconds, sweets, or snacks. But if you make good decisions for your meals, you'll boost your loss. And if you're craving that commercially prepared pizza, you can still have it without any guilt.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:17 pm

It varies tremendously. Some people lose 20 pounds. Some lose nothing. What should you expect? I'd say "don't expect." Focus on behavior, on building new habits, rather than results.

Sustainable weight loss is (depending on body size, of course) about half a pound a week. It's very, very slow. You will make yourself crazy staring at the scale. And yet this is the rate you want. This is sustainable. Remember why you're here -- NOT to drop x pounds fast in time to squeeze into a bikini, but to change your relationship with food and start eating moderately for life. The results you'll eventually see, if you stick with it, will be as impressive as any quick fix diet -- plus they'll last. But it may take a long time to arrive at such results, and you have to mentally budget for that fact. So instead of obsessing over the scale, focus on your behavior instead, on adhering to the literal rules -- for example by marking off each success/failure/except S-day on the calendar until you get the habit down (click the HabitCal link at the top of the page for a free online version of a habit tracking calendar).

Reinhard

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:02 pm

Summer, it might be helpful if you tell us about how much weight you need lose, how much exercise you get and your age. That way people with similar experiences can reply to you. Athough everyone is different, you are going to get a better idea of what to expect if you chat with those who where in the same boat as you when they started.
Dawn

joasia

Post by joasia » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:04 pm

Amen, Reinhard.

It is soooooooo true. A watched pot never boils. A watched scale never drops. Eat, cook, love it. And in between meals, LIVE. Find things that distract you from thinking about diets and weight loss. The more you think, the more you binge, fail, weigh, obsess. I have done it, I know. Your best bet is to follow the rules, for one month. Then get on the scale. Or two months if you can. Then do the scale. But daily and weekly, will just make you obsessed.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin