FIRST WEEK

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

GLENDA

FIRST WEEK

Post by GLENDA » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:02 pm

Well, I am finding this so much easier than past diet efforts! I am able to delay gratification until my s-days-AMAZING! I even went out with friends for dinner on Fri nite & wasn't tempted by seconds or sweets etc. Usually I'd sit there all fidget-y while watching what others were indulging in. I was very calm & not at all distracted by food. I even went tosister-in-laws & passed up dessert-I did have seconds-very small. Later had ice cream & cake on my terms. This is so freeing. Usually I would feel like I had to eat it then-this seems to get rid of what I call "Last Supper syndrome". I LOVE THIS DIET!!!! I am shovelgloving with a 4 lb short handled sledgehammer. I need to start slow-doiong onlky 7-8 min. solid. I notied I was sore the 2nd day after-sneaky.... I am going to walk more-rt liottle toe broken now-=BUMMER!!! I really miss walking & I want to become a more urban ranger-type. Have a lot of weight to lose. Any feed back appreciated. I sometimes feel like I am eating too many treats on weekend-scale says I'm up-But I know there is an adjustment period & IO am going to only weight monthly here after. I will coincentrate on HABIT.-How much have you lost over what time period? I am hoping for min of 26 lbs to max of 104 or so a year-That's 1/2 lb -2 lbs week. On weight watchers I'd average 1 1/2 lb/wk. Not on points-hated points- :twisted: GLENDA :twisted:

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:15 pm

Well, I am finding this so much easier than past diet efforts! I am able to delay gratification until my s-days-AMAZING!

Glenda,

I have had the same stunning experience!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

GLENDA

first week

Post by GLENDA » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:30 pm

Thanks for responding, blueskighs! The last thing I tried before this was a nutritionist. I keep going up & up in weight. I finally told her I just can't diet any more! It makes me crazy! I told her about No S diet & she said-you really need to get in more fruits & veg. I said yes but this is the first week & I will probably eat more that way as I go on. I just can't impose any more rules. This week I really want more of the healthy things-I normally eat very healthy & when I'd diet I would blow it at some point on McDonald's or sweets or whatever-my bratty inner child! On No S-this is not a problem-It's like everyone said-you look forward to your treats & the habits seem to carry over. I really can't say enough about how free I feel-I think I am feeling NORMAL!!!!!-Glenda :D

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:08 pm

You're smart for giving up Weight Watchers. My sister-in-law is on it and she's not even overweight. I can't imagine sticking to that for the long run. No S, on the other hand, seems easy to stick to.

I'm only in my first week, too, and I only have about 10-15 lbs to lose, so there's not much helpful advice I can give! But welcome! Congratulations on giving up that dreadful-looking POINTS system.
Last edited by Nichole on Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:46 pm

Welcome! this is a totally life-changing and freeing way of making new habits:)

Just to answer your question, in 15 months I've lost 22lbs- and that's even with several weeks in there of backsliding. Even when I do backslide, I find I bring the habit of "no seconds" with me because I've found I really do NOT like that overfull, bloaty feeling. I like a nice, quiet tummy.

Look forward to hearing from you. Think more about working on your habits than the scale at this point and you'll be successful. Meal by meal, day by day, it all adds up (or goes down!)
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:00 am

I told her about No S diet & she said-you really need to get in more fruits & veg.
Glenda, ironically it is possible I am eating more veggies on No S because I use them to "fill my plate" :D

it actually works pretty good. I use these Glad and Ziplic Steam bags ... you can steam anything in them, greens, broccoli, carrots, onion, green beans, cauliflour, peas ... I just steam and steam and steam. They make my plates look full and I enjoy them.

I am not a huge fruit eater (I usually just eat some with breakfast) so I take Monavie. It is a fruit juice with 19 different fruits including the acai berry which is very very very high on the antioxidant scale. LOVE THE STUFF.

Anyway, just got off the phone with my husband. HE is AMAZED that I am having another great N day... he knows me ... before NO S when treat weekends extended well beyond Monday...

With No S I am thinking those days are really behind me.

Anyway ... I followed what this nutritionist told me to eat one time and it was so much food I gained weight. I jsut try to make sure most of what I eat on my three plates is healthy.

Glad you are here, you too nfalcone and Tiffani...

Tiffani it is wonderful to see someone who has been around awhile posting. you are an inspiration !

Blueskighs

GLENDA

first week

Post by GLENDA » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:16 pm

Thanks for all your replies-very helpful! I have to tell you something funny. I have spent YEARS looking at diets & diet books & going on & off & last night I got in bed & looked around to find something to read. Well, I had read No-S & I didn't have any others that interested me-because I know this is IT! I read some in No S 'til I got sleepy, but what I realized was I AM GOING TO HAVE TO FILL MY TIME & BOOK CHOICES WITH SOMETHING BESIDES WEIGHT STUFF!!!! :lol:
I also know I do much better focasing on behaviors & not the scale. I talked to another woman I know last night who is working on her food issues & she is able to stop when she is full & not even be finished with her food! She is not a noSer-therapy stuff-so I won't mess with her process. But we were talking about feeling FREE. That is just so wonderful, I just can't get over it. My dialoque in my head is so different!
Thanks to all of you & Reinhard for being here & creating this-Reinhard does deserve the Nobel Peace prize-He's given me a ton of PEACE! Thanks!-Glenda :)

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Glenda
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO FILL MY TIME & BOOK CHOICES WITH SOMETHING BESIDES WEIGHT STUFF!!!! Laughing
Hi All,
I had this revelation last night also! As part of my new habit building life, i've added morning workouts to my routine instead of evening workouts. I have SO much free time, i read part of a novel and went to bed early just because i could. I am also working better b/c i'm not using snacks as a distraction at work.

last week was my first full week on no-s, and i think it was the best food week of my life!!

GLENDA

First Week

Post by GLENDA » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:53 pm

AmtLiz-Welcome, & isn't this the COOLEST!!!!! I like the IDEA of working out, but I like I like Urban Ranger idea better! I got a sledgehammer & I am doing shovelgove but very slowly-only 7 min per day-as I am old (60) & don't want to pull my back out! LOL. I think the thing I need to work on now is my patience! I am used to starting diets & jumping on the scale & thinking about food all day! This really is very different.-Glenda :lol:

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:53 pm

Hi Glenda - living in new york city, i am a HUGE fan of the Urban ranger idea, and I own a pedometer and i know i walk about 2 miles a day. Any form of activity will contribute to a healthier lifestyle.

i'm 27, and i've been working out since i was a swimmer at 15.
The part of my workout life that has been affected by no-s is to make it a daily habit and to not get obsessed with the details.

BEFORE i would workout 4 times in one week and really work hard for long periods, then the next week i would give up completely.

NOW I am focused on just getting a workout everyday - whether its squats and push ups at home, or weights and running at the gym. Its a much more satisfying approach.

time will tell if its going to help me lose weight, but i already feel more mentally fit.

GLENDA

first week

Post by GLENDA » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:00 pm

AmyLiz-I love that only 14 min thing about shovelglove. My weight watchers lecturer used to say walk out 5 min & 5 min back-that's not bad either! Soon as my toe heals I am all over that Urban Ranger! By the way speaking of Urban Ranger-isn't Reinhard CUTE!!!!!! He sounds very sweet too with his wife & little girls. -Glenda :)

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:10 pm

I AM GOING TO HAVE TO FILL MY TIME & BOOK CHOICES WITH SOMETHING BESIDES WEIGHT STUFF!!!!

Glenda,

me too! I was just talking about this with my husband last night. I have been reading diet, health, nutrition books for over twenty years ...

NOW WHAT?

I am sure I will come up with something :wink:
Meanwhile I am loving these boards and all the good juju we have going here,

thank you reinhard and everyone here,

Blueskighs

mckohtz

Re: FIRST WEEK

Post by mckohtz » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:33 pm

GLENDA wrote: On weight watchers I'd average 1 1/2 lb/wk. Not on points-hated points- :twisted: GLENDA :twisted:
I hate points too!
I have been on and off Weight Watches for years b/n pregnancies etc., but I can't count points forever. Nosdiet=Freedom
"When we know better we do better" Mayou

GLENDA

FIRST WEEK

Post by GLENDA » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:53 pm

I figured out several years ago that dieting made me fat. I tried to do my own version of no S-only eat at meals-NO treats or only eat healthy etc. I could never figure out WHAT IS ENOUGH! This whole system is so wonderful. The other thing is all this support-part of the problem before was "diet head" aka "fat head". I thought I should lose very fast or I was "bad". I need to get toe well & go walk!!! That is only thing missing right now. Yesterday, we ate at Mexican rest. I had Shrimp quesadilla. Whatevcer they cooked it in made me nauseated. I don't know why I think eating will fix that-more diet head-so today I started over-ate chocolate & snacked last night. Before I would have figured I'd blown the week & gone on a binge. I am right back on track & maybe even eating
a little less. I really don't like stuffed feeling. Points s*ck! I got so mad when they went to this. I was doing ok on the exchange plan,but still not dieting is the absolute best-I do not feel deprived which used to send me into a tailspin-bratty inner child- :lol:

Nossuzy

Post by Nossuzy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:33 am

I agree Glenda. POINTS do s*ck. I always feel like all I think about is food when I am counting points. It actually makes me almost food obsessed and thinking about how much I can eat yet today, or how I have to starve the rest of the day because I already ate all my points.

NO one should have to do math all day long to figure out how to eat!

I feel so free with this way of eating!!!

I had panckes and soy sausage for breakfast, tacos for lunch, and spaghetti with bread and green beans for dinner. And I didn't once have to measure anything to figure out how many points were in it!

Whee!
"Whew, glad I knew about beets. They would have killed me for sure."

GLENDA

FIRST WEEK

Post by GLENDA » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:02 pm

Right on, Nosuzy!!!!! :lol: I keep telling my sisters about this but they scoff at me-too many years of chasing diet dreams I guess. Success is the best example-so I will keep on NO "S" ing! :lol: :lol:

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:03 pm

ha, its funny - i've told a few of my girlfriends about the diet and they all say 'that wouldn't work for me' or 'i don't really snack anyway'

i think most people are surprised to learn how much they snack once they give it up!! i know i was!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:23 am

Amy liz,

I know ... all of a sudden NO BODY SNACKS ...
and then my husband who doesnt LIKE SWEETS has been having dessert everyday with his lunch,

I told him he is rebelling from my diet that he is not on!
people, we are such funny creatures,

Blueskighs