Not a failure, was it?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jesseco

Not a failure, was it?

Post by Jesseco » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:13 pm

I'm in my third week of No-S-dieting. Tonight at dinner, my plate had cashew chicken (& snow peas) with a little brown rice, some raw greens, and a small bowl (on the plate!) of squash.

Looking at my plate, I decided that maybe I needed a little more protein, so I put some more cashew chicken on my plate. When I finished eating, I was FULL--miserably so. Can I just chalk that up to experience? It wasn't really seconds; it did fit on my plate and I put it there before eating (or am I just making an excuse?).

I don't like this feeling of being too full--paradoxically, it makes me want to binge.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:27 pm

No, not a failure, but a learning experience!

I've been eating a little more food at breakfast and lunch because I realized that I was getting uncomfortably hungry about an before lunch and dinner. I overdid at lunch today. It's an hour or two past when I normally eat dinner, and I feel like I'd burst if I ate. So, a little less food at lunch tomorrow
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:49 am

No, it wasn't seconds. Yes, it was a learning experience.

Reinhard says quite often that your first few weeks will involve uncomfortably overfilled plates. Believe it or not, it was part of what helped me get where I am. When I first started No S I filled my plates like it was the last food I was going to eat all week. I felt so bloated, full and sick. I also felt ashamed at my cramming all my binging into 3 meals. So I started trimming the portions down, a little at a time, until I found what got me to my next meal without serious hunger pain, but that also left me comfortable, not full. Now I can face the biggest restaurant portions without overdoing it.
Heather

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:48 am

My simple rule is: load up as much as you want before you start eating. It might be a lot, but it's still just "firsts." If you start eating and then load up more, it's "seconds."

Firsts CAN be excessive. But they have the advantage of being OBVIOUSLY excessive. And over time, the gentle pressure of that obviousness will nudge you to whittle them down to size.

Reinhard

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:35 am

Since last night, I've been pondering about something related to food ammounts and, if you don't mind, Jesseco, I'll think I'll ask for opinions here!. :wink:

Would you guys say that if you still aren't hungry after 4-5 hours of your last meal, then you had too much on that last meal?.
Is the key to moderate meal eating to eat enough but only so to be sufficiently hungry when your next meal comes around?.

Last night, we had homemade pizza and (I confess) I put one, two, three slices of pizza on my plate! :twisted: it was kinda like what happened to you, Jesseco, I could have had two slices only, but, I was afraid I would be hungry after two measly slices, so, I added a third.
I wasn't stuffed in the least then, but, almost seven hours passed and I still wasn't hungry and I though, well obviously two slices would have been enough and three were obviously one too many!.

Jaxhil

Post by Jaxhil » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:01 am

Mavilu-I do that too sometimes, still! I know that two pieces of pizza are all that I can eat (at least since I stated No-S!), but sometimes I will still put three on my plate despite this. I have found over time, however, that I am less tempted to do this, because I know I can't comfortably eat that much. And for me (you may very well be different!), if I'm not hungry after 4-5 hours, that does mean I've probably overdone it at the previous meal.

I wouldn't worry about it! It's becoming more and more rare that this happens to me. I think you naturally start to be able to tell (unconsciously) how much is going to be enough (and not too much) to get you through till meal time. I am usually 'comfortably" hungry for my meal when it comes. By this I mean, I am looking forward to the meal, in pleasant anticipation, not ravenous hunger, lol. Sometimes I still misjudge and I feel like I could eat the table, I'm so hungry-but that's becoming much more rare! 8)
Hilary
_______

"Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity."-St Augustine

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."-Thomas Jefferson

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:54 pm

Ah!, well, I was onto something, then.
I'm getting acquainted to the right habits first and then I'll eat the NoS way properly and as I have tackled most Ss already I'm getting ready to fully start NoSing in a few days, I was trying to figure out when too much was too much without necesarily having to feel stuffed.
Great, thanks, Jahxil!.