Where does milk fit in??

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Nossuzy

Where does milk fit in??

Post by Nossuzy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:50 pm

I am assuming milk is only to be drunk with a meal otherwise it is a snack?

What about low fat chocolate milk? S day only or can it be had with a meal on N-days?

:?:
"Whew, glad I knew about beets. They would have killed me for sure."

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:57 pm

LMAO.... Your sig is great!

Here's where you get to apply your rules. Do you think chocolate milk is a sweet?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:03 pm

Milk, even whole milk (the only kind I drink) is fine any time.

(I give a whole milk pep talk on pages 55-56 of the book, if you're interested)

Chocolate milk, however, seems to fall rather squarely into the category of sweets...

Reinhard

Nossuzy

Post by Nossuzy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:27 pm

Yeah, I guess I knew that is what you would say about the chocolate milk.

I don't really like drinking milk, just having it in my cereal so I guess I was hoping that if I was starving and dinner was a ways off, i could have a glass of chocolate milk.... But I pretty much knew the answer to that one unfortunately... lol.. :roll:

I work 12 hour days three days a week and yesterday was my first No S diet day at work.. I have to be to work by 6 am so I eat breakfast early, then lunch always comes early and then I am starving for dinner but can't really eat until 7pm. So I am a little worried about the work days but this is still the EASIEST AND MOST ENJOYABLE so-called diet ever!!!!!

I have to remember it's not bad to feel hungry. For some reason being hungry makes me a little panicky.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:53 pm

Lordie, good thing I gave up drinking chocolate milk eons ago (as a child, it was the only way my parents could get me to drink milk).

But honestly, I don't see why chocolate milk would be a sweet. Yes, it has more sugar than white milk, but certainly no more than jams or jellies or sweetened yogurt. I don't see how when chocolate syrup or the equivalent is mixed with a glass of milk, it would derive most of it's calories from sugar.

And then again, I could be all wrong!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Nossuzy

Post by Nossuzy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:02 pm

Wosnes, I like your way of thinking!!!! lol.

But I don't want to bend the rules, even a little because I am the kind of person who will start to abuse the rules if given a little wiggle room...

So i guess it's an s day treat for me :wink:

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:42 pm

It's not the sugar that makes chocolate milk a sweet. It's whether it is sweet enough to be considered a dessert. If it was a solid form it would be pudding, definately a dessert. If you make it yourself and don't put enough chocolate in it to make it that sweet then it isn't a sweet.

Remember, there is no specific measurement for "sweet". We each need to define it for ourselves. (But I do believe most of us, if we are really honest with ourselves would call it a sweet)
Heather

eizzo

work day hours

Post by eizzo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:51 pm

Nossuzy wrote: I work 12 hour days three days a week and yesterday was my first No S diet day at work.. I have to be to work by 6 am so I eat breakfast early, then lunch always comes early and then I am starving for dinner but can't really eat until 7pm. So I am a little worried about the work days but this is still the EASIEST AND MOST ENJOYABLE so-called diet ever!!!!!

I have the same problem with the length of my work day...I leave for work at about 6:45, I get home from work generally at 6:00 ish. It is a long day. The only good part is that I can eat breakfast at work BUT it has to be something i can carry with me OR buy at a fastfood place. I have been eating lunch as late in the day as possible, dinner about 7. GO to bed early. LOL night feeder here. I do this all week.

How are you working out your eating schedule

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:14 pm

NoelFigart wrote:
Here's where you get to apply your rules. Do you think chocolate milk is a sweet?
I agree with Noel. I've never considered chocolate milk a treat or a sweet and certainly not on a par with chocolate pudding. I still won't drink milk that isn't flavored -- only now I usually flavor it with coffee -- kind of a cafe au lait. I don't even consider hot chocolate a dessert (unless it's loaded with marshmallows).

Chocolate milk in it's solid form wouldn't be chocolate pudding. What it would be is something that needed more chocolate and more sugar to be chocolate pudding.

I guess I disagree with Reinhard on this one.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:30 pm

wosnes wrote:
NoelFigart wrote:
I agree with Noel.
Sorry, my absurd face wasn't showing.

I actually agree with Reinhard. I think chocolate milk is a sweet. The emphasizing of the word chocolate was meant to bring that to the forefront and I did a poor job of it.

As far as I am concerned, chocolate anything is a sweet to be looked forward to on an S day. In my mind chocolate is a treat.

I consider a martini an N day drink and an appletini an S day drink by similar criteria. Apple pucker is awfully sweet.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:38 pm

NoelFigart wrote:
Well, actually I was agreeing with the fact that you get to apply your rules. Like I said, I've never considered chocolate milk a sweet or a treat. Likewise, I don't consider chocolate pudding thick chocolate milk.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:45 pm

wosnes wrote:
NoelFigart wrote: Well, actually I was agreeing with the fact that you get to apply your rules.
Gotcha. Sorry, I misunderstood. :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:54 pm

There are a lot of foods, chocolate being one of them, that can be sweet or savory or a flavoring, or something to be consumed daily or that can be part of a sweet treat/dessert. Fruit, for instance. They can play dual roles.

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:00 pm

Oh, lord. I never meant to start such a debate with the chocolate milk/chocolate pudding comparison. After years calorie counting I just remember them being similar in calorie/sugar content and they taste equally sweet to me. I never intended for it to be such a sticking point.
Heather

sandooch

Post by sandooch » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:10 pm

I haven't read all of the book yet, but I am glad to hear that we can have a glass of milk to tide us over if we need it. I love milk! Image

Sandy

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:50 pm

Well, do you drink it every day or just a couple of times a week?.

From the No S Diet page:
"I wouldn't worry too much about borderline foods like yoghurt and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. If these are a problem for you, i.e., you eat them every day and lay it on thick, then make them esses. If not, don't. Just by targeting the really egregious offenders you'll be cutting out a lot of calories."

I stick to this principle when having honey over my peanut butter; yes, is purely sugar, but I have it only a couple of times a week it's the only sugar I have during N days, it is only a small part of my meal (bread, milk and peanut butter make the bulk of it) and no, I can't go without it, just bread and peanut butter won't do.

If you drink a lot of chocolate milk and you make your chocolate milk so that it is definitely very strongly sweet, either tone it down or reserve it for S days, if you drink it occasionally and it's more milk than chocolate syrup, well, it's up to you to decide wether you count it as "sweets" or not.
I wouldn't.

Nossuzy

Post by Nossuzy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:14 am

Eizzo - I work at a hospital, so thankfully there is a cafeteria where you can get a pretty healthy lunch, full salad bar, soups, sandwiches, and it actually lists the calories of most of the things!!! Which I know we don't need with this diet, but I still like to try to load my plates with heathier versions of the things I like. They have breakfast too - But I tend to just bring a bag of cereal to much on and a yogurt (That would fit on one plate of course!!!! LOL)

Nossuzy

Post by Nossuzy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:16 am

Oh, and I leave for work at 5:30 in the morning and I don't get home until about 6:45...

I am going to do the milk thing if I feel like I can't make it in the afternoon. We also have a fully stocked kitchen on our floor (labor and delivery) so the employees are welcome to help themselves too. They have little cartons of milk like we got for snack time in grade school. :lol:

jules

Post by jules » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:59 am

My occasional chocolate milk treat comes from a glass of 2% milk mixed with Nestle/Carnation Chocolate Malted Milk. Much less sweet than chocolate syrup. And, because it's made from malted barley & wheat flour, there's actually some fiber in it. :)

But I know that malted milk isn't for everyone becuase when I was young, my mother tried to convince me that I didn't like chocolate ice cream malts -- because, apparently, she didn't like malt. LOL!

jules

lola628

chocolate milk...

Post by lola628 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:37 am

I can see why there is a chocolate milk debate because there are some chocolate milks that seem very lightly sweetened and almost bland, yet when you look at Nesquick (sugar shock!!) and Yoohoo it's just plain TOXIC.

But then you have the Soy Chocolate milk (Soy Slender) -- that stuff is fantastic, no sugar shock from that....

I would consider all chocolate milk an S food though....cuz it's chocolate!