Hungry?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

viggie

Hungry?

Post by viggie » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:29 am

I didn't put enough on my plate and I'm hungry. So I'm asking you,what do you do when it's eight o'clock and your hungry? I think I'm going to listen to a podcast. Hopefully it will give me some will power!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:02 am

viggie, I am not sure what other people would say, I am fairly new, but I would maybe drink some water ... ok a LOT of water :lol:
go to bed early?
remember that tomorrow will come and the first thing you can do when it gets here is eat breakfast?

I am pretty new, seventeen days, so I am still working on my estimated portions on my one plate. I am starting to get a little sense of it. But I think it will take awhile to get it really down,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Jamiebf

Post by Jamiebf » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:06 am

I agree, I drink hot tea and go to bed. However I have to pee way too much :?

sandooch

Post by sandooch » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:14 am

I've read on this site that it is alright to drink some milk if you get too hungry. That seems to hold people for a couple of hours.

Sandy

viggie

Post by viggie » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:30 pm

thanks everybody. I drink vanilla Slik soymilk. That should get me through. I think I'll have some tonight.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:32 pm

If no-cal or low-cal drinks like lemon water won't cut it, (whole!) milk is your friend. It's got enough fat and calories to sop up any real hunger. It also has a soporific effect, so it'll get you to sleep sooner.

Reinhard

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:44 pm

Heat the milk and add a sprinkling of cinnamon and it becomes a real bed time drink.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

sandooch

Post by sandooch » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:57 pm

reinhard wrote:If no-cal or low-cal drinks like lemon water won't cut it, (whole!) milk is your friend. It's got enough fat and calories to sop up any real hunger. It also has a soporific effect, so it'll get you to sleep sooner.

Reinhard
Reinhard, I told my father, who just started NoS with me a few days ago, about drinking milk if he felt hungry between meals. His response was, "Milk is too fattening!" I told him that, first of all, milk was not fattening, and secondly, that he needs to stop counting calories/fat on this diet.

My question to you is we're not fond of whole milk and have been drinking non-fat milk for as long as I can remember. Will it still give us pretty much the same benefits as full-fat milk?

I do like the fact that whole milk will help you sleep better. My dad has a hard time falling asleep, so maybe that bit of information will change his mind about drinking milk. I also like the cinnamon idea that MerryKat had mentioned. Thanks.

Sandy

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:54 pm

I can't drink milk and water will just not cut it when it's 9PM and I am hungry, which is still about once a week. So I have a cup of decaf coffee with 2 tbs of Vanilla Carmel Coffeemate. It's only 70 calories and very satisifying, and since it's hot it takes a little while to drink. Considering what I used to consume late at night, I think the 70 extra calories once a week is just fine.
Dawn

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:18 am

I had much the same experience last night. For various reasons, I ate only about 1/3 of my dinner. Not even an hour later, I was hungry.

I knew water or other non-caloric beverage wasn't going to hold me until bedtime, let alone morning. The thought of drinking a glass of milk -- well, it's not going to happen. Drinking a glass of milk is punishment in my book. Always has been; always will be.

So, I had an apple and a handful of grapes. Technically I suppose it could have been called a "snack", but since I'd left about 2/3 of a plate of food, it wasn't over and above one plate of food. It worked.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Jesseco

Post by Jesseco » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:37 am

I had insomnia last night from about 2 AM until 6 AM (I think it's a hormonal thing :x ) and I got really hungry from about 3-4. So at 4 AM I finally got up and had some "Nighty Night" (chamomile) tea with a little sweetener and soy milk in it. It did the trick (not helping me sleep, but at least filling my tummy)!

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:46 pm

I think in this country we "fear" hunger. We almost panic when we feel hunger and have to wait a period of time before we can appease that hunger. For me, I tough it out. As Reinhard more or less says in his book, we have to let our tummy know whose boss. For me the PANIC is the real issue. I never died from having to wait to eat. I need to be a 3 plate an N day gal. No bleed throughs, no excuses, or the panic wins. If I could pick and choose when to go outside the 3 plates a day with sucess, I wouln't need to be here.
Just what makes this work for me. :D

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:35 pm

I hated feeling hungry on diets because I knew that even after my next meal I would still feel hungry shortly thereafter. The good thing about NoS is that if you come to the table hungrier than normal, you can put a little more on your plate.

And if you really did eat too little just at the last meal, your hunger will quiet down. It's only when you've been eating too little the last two or three days that you begin to be in danger of binging.

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:42 pm

It occured to me that someone might take my comments as chastisement. Please don't. I speak only for myself. Years ago my sis said to me, "that's just your opinion(regarding something I had said to her) I responded by saying "my opinion is the only one I have!"
Let me also say that of the many diet boards I have read, this is the friendliest most helpful one by far. I haven't seen one "snarky comment"(how's that for hep lingo from this old gal! :lol:

sandooch

Post by sandooch » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:28 am

Lilly wrote:It occured to me that someone might take my comments as chastisement. Please don't. I speak only for myself. Years ago my sis said to me, "that's just your opinion(regarding something I had said to her) I responded by saying "my opinion is the only one I have!"
Let me also say that of the many diet boards I have read, this is the friendliest most helpful one by far. I haven't seen one "snarky comment"(how's that for hep lingo from this old gal! :lol:
I don't see your comments as chastisement at all. I totally agree with you. In fact, I actually like feeling hungry at times; it makes me feel like I am in control and not the food. I also imagine my fat being burned off when I feel hungry for an hour or so.

And I also agree that this is a very friendly board. :D

Sandy

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:56 am

I hated feeling hungry on diets because I knew that even after my next meal I would still feel hungry shortly thereafter. The good thing about NoS is that if you come to the table hungrier than normal, you can put a little more on your plate.
Blithe Morning,
this is so true! I think there was times in the past that I was hungry for months ... and then of course, I would then follow that with binging for monhts! But with NOS there is plenty of room within the very definite structure to respond to our own individual hunger.

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey