Is it just my crazy imagination, or...?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Nichole

Is it just my crazy imagination, or...?

Post by Nichole » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:27 pm

Is it just my crazy imagination or the No-S diet?

I've only been doing this about a week and I've cut sweets (except Sat and Sun) for about two weeks.

My tummy is a little flatter, I have lots more energy, I'm sleeping better, I seem less bloated, and I think I might have lost about 1 or so pounds.

I'm just wondering if these are because of No-S or if it's my imagination.... Hmm, I'll have to wait and see.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:35 pm

My tummy is a little flatter, I have lots more energy, I'm sleeping better, I seem less bloated, and I think I might have lost about 1 or so pounds.
This was pretty much my experience after the first few days / week too! In the past, I regularly ate seconds after dinner, I was usually bloated and tired for the rest of the evening. Now I find that an hour or so after dinner I feel alert and awake again - meaning I now have more time for either recreation or getting chores out of the way (whereas before, I tended to just veg out in front of the TV after dinner).

Stick with it! Even if you plateu weight wise at times, the other benefits are always there as an added bonus. :)
Last edited by bonnieUK on Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sandooch

Post by sandooch » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:43 pm

I've only been doing it for about a week myself, and I also feel that my tummy has flattened out a bit. :D

Sandy

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:53 pm

your stomach is probably flatter b/c its not so busy constantly digesting food!
its great to have such quick results, i've been having a fantastic first two weeks experience.

i'm half way through the 'first 21 days' and i haven't had a single failure!!

one thing i'm noticing, i get crabby when hungry ..
any long time no-s-ers figured out how to deal with being hungry and not irritable?

Jamiebf

not hungry

Post by Jamiebf » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:18 pm

I have found after 9 days that I am not hungry between meals anymore. I do enjoy my meals and the evenings are getting easier. I am a night eater. Love to eat before bed but then I always felt sick and full. It is nice to wake up hungry and know I can eat what I enjoy in the morning.

Nay

Post by Nay » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:33 am

Like you, Jamie, after 17 days I am not hungry between meals any more. I used to get really hungry around 10 a.m., when I would just HAVE TO have a muffin. No more. I get slightly hungry before meals, and that's it. I used to snack after dinner, and I don't even think about it any more. The feeling is just gone.

On my last two S days, I snacked AND had a sweet each day, which was more than I had my first two S days. I felt bloated and sluggish and lousy. Won't be doing that again. I have my desserts planned for this coming weekend -- I'm making tapioca pudding for Sat and biscotti for Sunday. Maybe I will even have a small decadent dessert Sun with dinner.

AmyLiz, if you get crabby from hunger, have a glass of whole fat milk. It's allowed, and it works!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:24 am

Is it just my crazy imagination or the No-S diet?

I've only been doing this about a week and I've cut sweets (except Sat and Sun) for about two weeks.

I'm just wondering if these are because of No-S or if it's my imagination.... Hmm, I'll have to wait and see.
Nichole,

if this is your imagination than we are imagining almost the exact same things. I'm into my third week and my tummy is also flatter .. being more productive, getting up earlier ... (does that mean I am sleeping better?) ... anyway pretty cool.

I think it probably has things to do with consistency and blood sugar. I have always heard our body likes consistency.... as far sugar I was either binging on it or off it before no S apparently there is a certain amount of sugar my body can tolerate ... and apparently a few treats on the weekend are ok with it .

AMAZING,
Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:18 pm

It's amazing, isn't it? Less bloaty, less hungry *really!
I didn't realize before I started how awfully bloated and gassy I was all the time.

I also like how my mood swings have gotten a bit better.
NoS is a gooood thing!
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:19 pm

It's amazing all right; I don't want to eat anything between meals anymore. I just wish I understood why this works; it seems so ridiculously stupid. :)

f

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:27 pm

It works because we humans are very lucky. We can choose our own conditioning (habit) and it's amazingly powerful.

You condition yourself not to eat snacks and after awhile, it's just like... you don't think about it.

It works both ways, though. If we condition ourselves that we have to have, oh, something sweet to be able to sleep, that's as much of a habit and just as powerful as if we'd conditioned ourselves to the No S routine.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that for myself, the "creating good habits" mindset works better than the "breaking bad habits" one. At least, I get more excited about creating the routine in the beginning.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:29 pm

Someone said somewhere or another that the flatter tummy is because I'm digesting less food? Who knows--it might be on this thread and I'm overlooking it!! Anyway, that's interesting, wonder if that's true.

I have also noticed the less gassy thing!

The polo shirt I'm wearing today fit me this morning so much better than it has been, and that makes me really happy! It's not tight, yaay. I'm so glad I found No-S in time enough to slowly get to 140 lbs for my wedding. :) I'm currently 147ish, last time I checked.

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:14 pm

NoelFigart wrote:You condition yourself not to eat snacks and after awhile, it's just like... you don't think about it.

It works both ways, though...
This is true! I was never a snacker, until for some stupid reason I succombed to the influence of the diet and fitness advice "eat little and often" and started brining snacks to work (nothing unhealthy, but things like fruit, nuts and crackers still add up). I was a big seconds eater too, but then I had been for years without ever gaining weight, so I'm sure it was the inclusion of snacks that did it! It took a good few weeks on No S to undo the snack habit, but luckily I'm back to my previous non-snacker ways :)
(it's the not having seconds that I still have trouble with sometimes!).

p.s. I guess I should state that when attempting to follow the "little and often" guidelines, I could do the "often" part, but not necessarily the "little" :D

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:02 pm

I made the comment about less time digesting food ... and it was based on something i read back when i was a vegetarian - that our bodies spend 60% of their energy digesting food. one of books i read said that we get tired after we eat b/c our body is using SO much energy to digest.

their argument was that when you eat food that is easy to process (ie veggies) it takes less work and you will therefore have more energy.

i don't know how factual all of that is, but now that i'm not snacking, I am more awake! i also think it has to do with not having sugar crashes!

i eat meat now, and really love it. but i think the reason we get tired after thanksgiving dinner probably has more to do with the theory above then the tryptophan in turkey ...

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:05 pm

Nay - thanks for the milk tip - i'll give it a try!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:08 pm

AmyLiz wrote:I made the comment about less time digesting food ... and it was based on something i read back when i was a vegetarian - that our bodies spend 60% of their energy digesting food. one of books i read said that we get tired after we eat b/c our body is using SO much energy to digest.

their argument was that when you eat food that is easy to process (ie veggies) it takes less work and you will therefore have more energy.

i don't know how factual all of that is, but now that i'm not snacking, I am more awake! i also think it has to do with not having sugar crashes!

i eat meat now, and really love it. but i think the reason we get tired after thanksgiving dinner probably has more to do with the theory above then the tryptophan in turkey ...
Ahh, very interesting! :)

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:26 am

I'm increasingly of the opinion that for myself, the "creating good habits" mindset works better than the "breaking bad habits"
Noel, I think it is that whole nature abhors a vacuum thing ...
breaking a bad habit creates a void,
creating a good habit leaves no such treacherous gaping hole in our pscyhe!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

stevecooper

Post by stevecooper » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:49 am

AmyLiz wrote:one thing i'm noticing, i get crabby when hungry ..
any long time no-s-ers figured out how to deal with being hungry and not irritable?
It'll just go away. It's your hunger complaining at you. Once it realises it's not going to get it's way, it'll shut up ;)

And this thread's just started which might help; http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2925