Get the Book! ITS WORTH IT!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Amyliz

Get the Book! ITS WORTH IT!

Post by Amyliz » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:29 pm

No, I'm not being paid for this endorsement - but I strongly encourage everyone to read the book if you haven't already!

it gives you the whole picture of what the No-S is all about.

I've only been on No-S for 2 weeks, but as someone who has been on a diet my whole life - it was the best 2 weeks i've ever had!!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:41 pm

Even if you've read the web site 5 times?
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:44 pm

Yea, even if you've read the web site 20 times. There's more in the book.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

sandooch

Post by sandooch » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:59 pm

I agree. I'm only about half way through it myself, but it is very informational and motivating.

Sandy

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:30 pm

Well, maybe I'll buy it in a couple weeks. I already spent more than my fair share at the mall on clothes on Wednesday night! Plus, as far as reading, I really wanna finish up Atonement. I'm trying to focus on only one book at a time nowadays!
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

MoonGoddess

bought the book ;-)

Post by MoonGoddess » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:42 pm

Just ordered the book. :-)

But I need to finish A New Earth first. :-)
The only disability in life is a closed mind. -Me

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:10 am

I really have to agree ... but I can't speak as a totally educated person as i have actually read very little on the website besides the boards... I have listened to some podcasts.

I fortiutiously found the book just browsing the diet section in Barnes and Nobel almost three weeks ago. I read the entire book that afternoon and evening YES when I should have been doing other things ... it was just such a page turner ... any real dieter can relate

ANYWAY I am coming up on my 21 days and I attribute FOR me my comprehension of the No S with reading the book . So yes get the book.

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:15 pm

Blueskighs - its such a fast read, right? i think my sister already finished, and just told her about the diet last friday.

congrats on almost 21 days! what day will be 21? i'll hit 21 on april 19th.
its been very easy for me to stick to on the weekdays, but i think my S-days were a little 'full' this past weekend.

carla70

Post by carla70 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:21 pm

I have read the website lots too and agree GET THE BOOK.. it is packed with valueable information and insight.

When you can't get on the computer you can grab the book and read. It is even a great size and can fit in a purse or small bag so you can take it anywhere to get motivation when needed.

Was very good to finally read a "diet" book that was easy to read and not full of scientific studies and numbers, just down to earth info.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:14 pm

I'm very glad you all like the book!

Honestly, all you "need" is the formula itself -- a quick look at the cover of the book, or the "title" field of the home page. If you follow that, you'll be fine.

So what's the point of the rest of the book and the web site? To convince you that this is true: with stats, with humor, with common sense. The book probably does this a little better than the site because the format allows me to make a more sustained and structured argument. So while neither is strictly speaking necessary, I think they're both very helpful. And assuming the inspiration takes, you'll probably recuperate your investment in the book in as little as a week with saved grocery/restaurant expenditures.
But I need to finish A New Earth first.
I keep hoping that people will find our germanic names (Eckhart Tolle, Reinhard Engels) sufficiently confusing that some of his sales will rub off on me :-)

Reinhard

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:43 pm

I keep hoping that people will find our germanic names (Eckhart Tolle, Reinhard Engels) sufficiently confusing that some of his sales will rub off on me

let's not forget your ancestor Friedrich. Quite a following he had in his day. :)

f

Stacy Jo

Post by Stacy Jo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:16 pm

Found the book yesterday at Border's and picked it up (it was the last one). Thoroughly enjoying it, it's small enough to fit in my bag so I can read through it when I'm not online.

Stacy

Noturningback

Post by Noturningback » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:06 pm

I jus picked up a copy at Barnes & Noble. There were only a few copies left. I'm off to start reading it. :!:

~Danielle

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:05 pm

I'm not going to chance going to Barnes and Noble to get the book! I think I've read about 10 posts where this or that person got "the last one" at B&N :!: Seriously though, I just ordered mine today from Amazon. Hopefully, Reinhard gets "double points" for that one. Actually, I think I read somewhere in these threads that he does. I am looking forward to getting it!

This is the first time in a long time that my husband has agreed to do something like this with me. Here's something else that's funny: I woke up this morning to my husband talking sort of to himself while he was getting dressed (as I was really still quite close to not yet awake). (Today is officially our first N day.) These are the first words I heard this morning when I became conscious: "No snacks, no sugar, and no what???" So, I had to remind him of the seconds and I also had to correct him that it's "sweets" and not "sugar". I've been on and off the no sugar thing for so long now that that is really ingrained in him!

Well, time to get the mail. Wish my book was already there...
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

tgp157

Post by tgp157 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:49 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Even if you've read the web site 5 times?
nfalcone--the book is the website in a binding. I like having it all todgether in one place. Like others have mentioned, you can carry it w/you & read anytime.
I really wanna finish up Atonement.
It is a quick read--I read it in less than a day.
BTW--is Atonement a good book? Have you seen the movie? If so, do you recommend reading the book or seeing the movie first? I have the DVD but haven't watched it yet. I don't usually like to read a book after seeing the movie.
Pam
A Success Story in the Making
NoS-ing since 6/1/09

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:43 pm

YES, buy the book.
Yes, the "plan" is all here. Because it really is very simple. So why buy the book? I found the book enjoyable from first page to last. I wonder, does Reinhard know just how funny he is at times? I also like having "the total package" all in one small book form.

Nicola

Post by Nicola » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:45 pm

I ordered the book from Amazon today and can't wait to get it.

DianeA2Z

Re: bought the book ;-)

Post by DianeA2Z » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:04 pm

MoonGoddess wrote:Just ordered the book. :-)

But I need to finish A New Earth first. :-)
How do you like A New Earth, MoonGoddess? I'm on my second reading and need to play "catch up" on the classes, but the book is awesome.

I so agree with the main thread of this post: Buy The Book!

I saw the article in WW, read it through a few times, went online and read everything and thought, "I've spent so much money on diet books, it looks like everything is here on the website, the boards are interesting, etc., etc." I starting NoS-ing on Friday and by the end of my first "S" day decided that if I am going to do this, I'm going to do it right. Everything I read in the article and on the site made so much sense to me that I (mistakenly) thought there couldn't be much more to learn about this No S phenomenon. Trust me, buy the book! Read it, flag it with little post-its, highlight it, write in the margins; it's a wonderful companion and the perfect size to take with you everywhere you go. And it's so nice to have it to refer to when you begin the lifestyle change. It's worth every cent!!

(Go, buy it!) :wink:

Diane
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!

DianeA2Z

Regarding Atonement

Post by DianeA2Z » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:14 pm

tgp157 wrote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really wanna finish up Atonement.
It is a quick read--I read it in less than a day.
BTW--is Atonement a good book? Have you seen the movie? If so, do you recommend reading the book or seeing the movie first? I have the DVD but haven't watched it yet. I don't usually like to read a book after seeing the movie.
I saw the movie with my husband (two minutes into it we both knew it was going to be classified as a "chick movie"). I liked the movie, he did not. I thought the cinematography was gorgeous, and it took me a bit of time to adjust to the movie proceeding from the different points of view. Nonetheless, I did like it enough to want to read the book. I was able to borrow the book from a friend at church and am kind of slogging my way through it. It reads like an English movie views (if that makes any sense). Sometimes I watch BBC programs on our PBS station...mysteries, particularly. As much as I love them, some of them move very slowly for the first 20 minutes or so before picking up the pace. I'm still waiting for the book to pick up. I normally have 3-4 books going at the same time and I reserve "Atonement" for reading in bed until I fall asleep. That, alone, should give you a hint. I do believe the book is beautifully written, and descriptive enough to paint vivid visuals, but at the point I'm at (all the interviews after the "Lola" event) I'm still waiting for the story to take off.

Hope this helps.
Diane

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:57 am

Amy Liz,

yes the book is a very quick read. and actually ....
To convince you that this is true: with stats, with humor, with common sense
this is exactly what the book did for me. I read the cover but I was so paranoid of sugar I just thought ... this diet would be perfect for me except for those gnarly S days ... but then I started reading the book and it is very engaging ... So I couldn't put it down and mostly by the time I finished I was completley convinced so I started.

That was 22 days ago ... and I have not had a red day since!!!!!!!!

Blueskighs

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:42 pm

Blueskighs,
i had the same experience ... no red days since i read the book (and i read it in two day ... luckily those were saturday and sunday)

but thats why i suggest people read it, its SO easy to start and stay on it after reading all the back-up.

I'm on day 17, and the third week feels like a cake walk compared to the first week.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:01 am

its SO easy to start and stay on it after reading all the back-up.
AmyLiz, I absolutely agree and am so glad you are getting the word out!

Blueskighs

BrightAngel

I'm reading the book Again.

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:17 pm

I got the book last week and read it through the day I got it.
Now, a week later, I'm reading it again.
I want to get these principles firmly in mind,
and get another dose of "common sense".
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

jean

Post by jean » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:54 pm

I read the book twice. Some of it was wordy, so I bounced over some parts twice. I know he didn't want us to follow lists, but I was actually happy with the breakfast list. I really wish that there had been a lunch choices list also. I know that it shouldn't be regimented, but I like to see that I'm doing things right. For dinner we are all on our own, that I can understand. But, just one day's sample would have made me feel better. :wink:

Beckycan

Post by Beckycan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:28 pm

:lol: I ordered the book today!
:lol: I can't wait for Friday's mail!

(Sung to the tune of "It Ain't Gonna Rain No More") :lol:
SW 295
CW 292
GW 175

A turtle travels only when he sticks his neck out. Korean Proverb

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:50 pm

Sing this Becky.... You'll be so glad you diiiiiiid! :lol:

I take that book everywhere with me!

Diane

inspired

Post by inspired » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:49 am

Yep -- buy the book! I'd heard about the No S diet for years, but never decided to give it a go. I bought the book, read it through (it's a quick read) and decided to start that day. Twelve days later I'm feeling really good about my changed eating habits (plus the 5lbs dropped).

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:57 am

inspired,

that is so cool. I randomly ran into the book at Barnes and Noble and once I picked it up literally could not stop reading it. I started nosing then and I hope to continue ... well forever,
that was just about a month ago, reading the book just really makes it all come together and make sense from the get go!

So Beckycan,
I agree with you be excited ... the book will be here FRIDAY!

DianeAZ,
I have not thought about carrying the book with me, but it will easily fit into my huge purse. I think I am going to throw it in their for a little lift in those off moments. Great idea, thanks,

Blueskighs

irish

Post by irish » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:24 pm

I FINALLY got my copy of the book from Amazon, and I love it. First of all, I was very impressed by the endorsement from Miriam Nelson. I've read most of her Strong Women books and have tried following her Strong Women Stay Slim, but, like most diet books, you do have to be able to count. But she did make a lot of sense, but No S is much better. I've done 2 wks without the book, the next two weeks sould be even easier with the book to motivate me. Thank you very much - I will encourage all my dieting friends to buy the book.

NaughtyLil'kiTTy

I agree, buy the book!!!!!

Post by NaughtyLil'kiTTy » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:58 am

I found out about the No S Diet in a women's mag. It made me want to know more. I'm half way through the book and it makes complete since! I wish I had discovered this "way of life" sooner. I've been following the no s diet for 2 weeks...no results yet, but hoping for the best.
Vicki