Walking Now and looking for a Simple Eating Plan

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

karenlp

Walking Now and looking for a Simple Eating Plan

Post by karenlp » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:40 pm

I am sick to death of trying every crazy diet out there and weighting more at the end of every year. Early this year I started walking and it is now a habit to walk at least 10,000 steps everyday. Simple and inexpensive! I have been looking for a eating plan that is simple and effective. This sounds perfect. I will be so glad not to have to think about eating six times a day. That is way too much time spend in the kitchen planning and preparing food. I'm really hoping that the NO S Diet combined with the walking (and lots of water) will finally help me shed the extra pounds.

droth

no more counting

Post by droth » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:06 pm

I feel your pain... :( and also your joy :D. I went to WW the start of the year and in 3 months have only managned to keep off 8 lbs. If it's going to be that slow with WW, then I can better handle the NoS and not have to pay for meetings or special foods, and especially not have to keep counting points day, after day, after day.....
Started No-S 04/07/08
Need to lose 80 lbs.

Nichole

Re: no more counting

Post by Nichole » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:11 pm

droth wrote:I feel your pain... :( and also your joy :D. I went to WW the start of the year and in 3 months have only managned to keep off 8 lbs. If it's going to be that slow with WW, then I can better handle the NoS and not have to pay for meetings or special foods, and especially not have to keep counting points day, after day, after day.....
Those "Diets Don't Work / Weight Watchers Does" commercials crack me up. WW is a diet and it seems hard to stick to. I may be wrong, but it seems like false advertising to say it's not a diet.

Congrats on taking up walking, Karen! That's a lot of steps! :)
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

tgp157

Post by tgp157 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:23 pm

You've found your plan. :!: :!: I, too, am sick of buying every new diet book just to find they don't tell me anything I don't already know or they're too overwhelming & unsustainable for the long haul. This is my 9th Day on Habit & I'm loving it. I've had some hunger in the late afternoon but I've drank whole milk & been able to get thru til dinner. However, the last couple of days I've been able to go w/o the milk. :lol: I also find I don't need as much at mealtime as I usually did.
Pam
A Success Story in the Making
NoS-ing since 6/1/09

Stacy Jo

Post by Stacy Jo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:52 pm

Pam, where in Alabama are you from? I was born and raised in Huntsville!

Stacy

GLENDA

walking

Post by GLENDA » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:38 pm

Karenlp-You HAVE found your diet! If you are walking that much & you follow No-S You will be a "letter-opener" as one of my friends says!!! :lol:
welcome & I'm so glad you found this site. I am noticing better sleep, less obsessing about food & JOY in living now!!! :D

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:47 pm

nfalcone wrote: Those "Diets Don't Work / Weight Watchers Does" commercials crack me up. WW is a diet and it seems hard to stick to. I may be wrong, but it seems like false advertising to say it's not a diet.

Congrats on taking up walking, Karen! That's a lot of steps! :)
Those WW commercials crack me up, too.

When I was working, I routinely walked 12,000-15,000 steps daily almost without trying. Most of the steps were at work, although I did walk at least 30 minutes daily for exercise.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

sandooch

Post by sandooch » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:31 pm

nfalcone wrote: Those "Diets Don't Work / Weight Watchers Does" commercials crack me up. WW is a diet and it seems hard to stick to. I may be wrong, but it seems like false advertising to say it's not a diet.
BINGO!!! Yes, that WW commercial drives be crazy every time I hear it. Hello? Umm....it IS a diet! If you have to count points or count anything, it's a diet. :roll: In other words, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one bothered by this false advertising.

Sandy

ou812

Post by ou812 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:57 pm

I did WW for a summer and always felt hungry. I lost weight, but was obsessed with point counting. I didn't feel free to just live and enjoy. The adage Keep it simple stupid comes to mind when it comes to dieting.
If you practice No-S and just look for small changes that you make stick such as trying to incorporate more whole grains or to drink more water. Its doable as long as we don't try to punish ourselves with rigid diets.

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:25 pm

Hi! I am going to jump in here and agree with all that has been said about WW. I first started attending those meetings when I was in high school (when I wanted to learn new habits for college and had less than ten lbs. to shed) and had a go of it several times through the years. Believe it or not, I even did WW when I lived in Paris. Those French women couldn't pronounce "Weight Watchers" but bought into it hook, line and sinker. Personally, I could never manage to lose more than 6-8 pounds and only seemed to let food thoughts control my mind and my life. But I did learn one thing at WW: their psychologists believe/ed that diets are the number one reason why people gain weight. WW sets you up to fail . . . after all, it is a business!

karenlp

Post by karenlp » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:27 pm

Nfalcone, did you lose weight walking that much? I have quit gaining but have not lost anything (my clothes fit a little better). I am really hoping the No S Diet makes the difference and I start to lose. I rarely have seconds and don't eat sugar but I think maybe I snack all afternoon and evening.

Thanks for the replies all.

jules

Post by jules » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:20 am

I have quit gaining but have not lost anything (my clothes fit a little better).
With all due respect Karenlp, you have made progress. Your clothes fit better because you've lost fat. And you're no longer gaining weight. Both are tremendous accomplishments. Keep working and remember that the scale is truly not the best measure of your HEALTH.

jules

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:17 am

karenlp wrote:Nfalcone, did you lose weight walking that much?

I can't speak for Nfalcone, but when I was walking 12,000-15,000 steps daily, I maintained. But, not only was it was less than I'd walked in the past, it was was my "normal", so to lose weight, I would have to increase my activity. For someone who doesn't normally walk as much as I did, increasing to 10,000 steps will may do the trick, though I've read that for "most" people to lose weight, they may need to go to 12,000-15,000 steps.

Everyone is different.

When I was a teenager I lost a lot of weight one summer just by walking more. I kept it off until my activity level decreased (when I was about 40). Most of my activity has always been walking.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Feisty1

Post by Feisty1 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:00 pm

droth wrote:I feel your pain... :( and also your joy :D. I went to WW the start of the year and in 3 months have only managned to keep off 8 lbs. If it's going to be that slow with WW, then I can better handle the NoS and not have to pay for meetings or special foods, and especially not have to keep counting points day, after day, after day.....
I totally agree ... who'd have thought??? I can't wait to see success ... then I can be proof to all those who don't believe that the mind can control the behavior!!! That it can be so easy as three simple meals. I've always told my girls if we just ate only the portion size we could lose weight ... I never did it though, didn't have the support. I'm glad I saw the WW magazine, there's more support here than I ever could have imagined.
I love this place ... LOL!
Sandy
"Face your stuff, don't stuff your face"

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:07 pm

Lol, I never said that I walk that much. I don't!!! I do a recumbant stationary bike and free weights. I was congratulating someone else on all their steps (the original poster)...
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

eizzo

walking question

Post by eizzo » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:10 pm

How do you count the steps you are walking?

wosnes

Re: walking question

Post by wosnes » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:27 pm

eizzo wrote:How do you count the steps you are walking?
A pedometer. A few years ago there were quite a few articles about pedometers and the benefits of walking 10,000 steps daily.

http://astore.amazon.com/nosdiet-20/det ... 67-8139361

karenlp

Post by karenlp » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:23 pm

I count steps with a pedometer. It hooks up to the computer to download the data so I can keep track. You can Google Walking Spree if you want more details. Not sure if I'm allow to post the URL here. I have worked up from about 5000 to 10,000 steps. Reading these posts I think I will try to get to 12,000 steps and maybe 15,000 on the weekends. Maybe that with the No S Diet will help. I feel better for the exersize and am looking forward to this simple eating plan. Only day 2 for me and it is a Satuarday!

mjn

Post by mjn » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:37 pm

I have been trying to walk 10,000 steps a day, too. I feel so much better. It is hard to get that 5 miles in sometimes, so I have to not obsess and worry if I don't. The walking has to be good for us and along with the NoS diet, we should be getting healthier.