Haven't lost weight, but very happy with No S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

CrazyCatLady

Haven't lost weight, but very happy with No S

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:18 pm

Hello! I've been reading the No S boards, and "trying" to stick to the plan since the new year. However, I was previously a total permasnacker. Even at work, I would sit at my desk and just munch on something all day, either a "few" pretzels, or some hard candy...just stuffing food in at all times.

I never felt hungry. And I never really felt full or satisfied. I certainly didn't feel stuffed very often. After all, my tummy was used to being constantly fed. If I started eating something, I couldn't really stop. So bags of jelly beans, bags of snacks, whatever...it was always consumed way too quickly.

I have not really successfully followed No S, however, I have improved so much over the past months. I eat bigger, more delicious, more satisfying meals. If I want a sweet on a No S day, I know that some tea or hot cocoa are a great option. I learned that some of the foods I was eating were very yucky, like prepackaged sweet snacks (like Little Debbies). I learned that going out to eat, and choosing what sounds yummy on the menu, instead of what I "probably should eat" is extremely satisfying.

I feel hunger quite often now. Not "oh, no, I'm going to starve" hunger. Hunger that tells me....yay, I had a great last meal, because the next meal is in 30 to 60 minutes, and I'm hungry now. Or hunger that tells me...the last meal was not substantial enough. I'm really hungry two hours later! Who knew hunger could be so positive and helpful?

Starting in January, when I see myself in a mirror, I no longer groan or feel disgusted. I think...wow, I'm going to look great when this belly goes away!

I still have lots of changes to make. I need to tighten up my rules about sticking to the plan better on No S days. And I have started to do that (and oddly enough, finally lost a few pounds! LOL!) But I find great comfort in the fact that I no longer feel compelled to eat every scrap of delicious food (and even the kind of icky stuff). I find great comfort that after quite a few outrageous S days, I've learned that my tummy has learned to signal me when I overstuff it. And now for the most part S days include some really fabulous indulgence that I can truly enjoy.

I think the reason that this plan will work for me is that I don't need to focus on food or think about food more. (Ex weight watchers person...can you tell?) I need to STOP thinking about food all the time, and just enjoy my meals. I was really looking for a plan that could somehow provide that for me, when I found a link to No S.

I hope that by beginning to post here, I will hold myself more accountable and allow No S to work for me.

jazzys mom

Post by jazzys mom » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:40 pm

Hi there!

I think we have been conditioned to "graze" constantly by all the diets out there! Most of them tell you to eat 5 or 6 meals a day and graze in-between so thats what we do then wonder why we are not losing weight! I was using hard peppermint candies to snack on throughout the day. Yes, it would keep the strong hunger pangs away but just look at all that sugar I was eating! I think the No S Diet will teach me to UNDERSTAND my hunger, as you said. I always have worried about going out to eat and ordering a big hamburger, for instance. Oh my! Just look at the calories so instead of ordering the hamburger I would order the chicken sandwich and walk away from the restaurant ---- not hungry but not satisfied so later I'd get out the chocolate! My hunger was telling me I wasn't satisfied at the last meal. This became a pattern until I have gained about 30 lbs too much. I think this No S Diet will work for me too!

Jazzys Mom

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:41 pm

I just read an article in the local paper today that encourages the "eat every two hours" mode of thinking! And we wonder where we get the idea. :) So no wonder we graze all day! And feel stuffed and never really satisfied. And I'm so glad to hear that someone else ordered what they thought they should have instead of what they really wanted!!! :) I just did that on Thursday....before I had a chance to ready the WW article. And yes, Weight Watchers taught me to eat what they said I could have....heck, I would eat supper and then sit down an hour later and devour a plate full of raw carrots...bet I ate a 5 lb. bag every week...if not more. They never ever taught me to listen to my inner being and know when I really was hungry. And this last and final go round with the program I did the core....eat all you want until you are satisfied as long as it was core food. DUH! Like that taught me I wasn't hungry and was just eating to be eating. I like this idea of 3 meals a day and a single plate for the meal. It was the way I was brought up by my single mom (and she had two kids to support). We didn't have a lot of food but what we had was good and we really didn't have a lot of seconds! I survived and was happy and I will get to that point again after reading this book.
Hugs to you both from the happy quilter, Rheba

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:07 am

Oh, how I remember Weight Watchers! I was eating those fat free pringles, and broccoli....my kids literally begged me to quit eating all that gassy food! LOL! And when I wanted something sweet...diet jello with frozen raspberries in it, with diet whipped cream. There was no thought of what I was hungry for, it was all about the points! And any time my co-workers wanted to eat out, I would try to figure out how many points different restaurants had. What a pain.

I need less thinking about points, less twisting myself into artificial ways of eating. I think so much less about food now....just try to make sure I eat decent meals so I'm not hungry after.

And will really try to establish the no snacking habit....and will be better about one plate meals. I can do this!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:13 am

CrazyCatLady....
love your thread. It is really cool to here your story of how you have used the NOS diet to totally change the way that you think about and approach food. IMHO you are actually talking about some really significant inner and outer changes.

YAY YOU!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:11 am

You are sooooooooo right on about it being all about the points! I just had lunch with a friend who made her goal weight and to watch her go directly to the weight watcher section of the menu (the restaurant really does have ww items with the points already calculated for you) is really sad....her life will be so limited by points. I still can tell you from the first go round exactly how many ounces are in a chicken breast!!!! :) Yes, it is so much more about the amount we eat and not what we eat. Yes, I was hungry at times yesterday but I didn't snack and to my big surprise...it didn't kill me! :lol: Today I am going out with a very dear friend for lunch and I know I can order what I really truly want and if I don't eat it all....lunch for tomorrow. I am so tired of going into restauarnts and ordering what I think I should order as whoever I am with might look at my food and think bad of me and then when I get home....look out fridge! :) I don't have to do that anymore ever!!! What a wonderful feeling. And I know it will take awhile for it to really truly sink into this "preconditioned" dieter's head but I'm trying!
have a great day, okay? Rheba

eizzo

actual weight lose

Post by eizzo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:19 am

how much weigh are people losing. I knew going into this that this wasnt a rapid weigh lose program but what is the norm?

No_S_ing_Jill

Post by No_S_ing_Jill » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:43 am

Mind if I jump in here? I am enjoying this topic. I just heard about No S last Monday (at a WW meeting if you can believe that!). I began reading at the website and I am IN! So, I started on Friday, but since then we are at the weekend, I will officially start tomorrow. I don't know, but it just feels sort of like cheating to actually START on a S day. I intend to do the daily check-in thread starting tomorrow.

As I said, I have been doing WW and it just has not been working. I just cannot see myself doing that for the rest of my life. This sounds exactly like what I have wanted to do all along. I don't know why I never have been able to implement it on my own, but I am hoping with the knowledge that there are actually lots of others doing it and that I can talk to regularly it will be the support and impetus I need to keep to it and not turn No S days into S days.

Thanks for "listening"! Let's make it a great day! Oh, and did I say that today we are celebrating my son's birthday? Need I say more? No guilt for me...
Jill

haganeedle

Post by haganeedle » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:39 pm

Jill, tomorrow is my daughters birthday......She has requested dairy queen icecream cake.....

Rheba I am with you on the preconditioned dieters head. I have tried every diet possible. Who really eats that food all the time.? It's so freeing to know I can eat normal and not count something whether it be points, calories or carbs.

deealison

Post by deealison » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:14 pm

I definitely see that this would work over time. I like to cook, and it's boring for me to be stuck on a diet. I was on a diet that had six meals a day and I was dying for some of my favorite foods! Some of the things in the book have worked for me in the past, so I feel great going back to them. The only thing I am going to change is exchanging one of my plates for 2 smaller ones (4 meals, 2 regular, 2 split). I just get too moody if I get too hungry. I also don't want to tempt my bloodsugar to act up. I just got it under control this year. As long as I'm not grazing and eating what would be on 3 plates, I'm happy with that.

lola628

obsessive points, etc.

Post by lola628 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:42 pm

I've tried quite a few diets myself, but I have an relative who drives everyone insane with her eating habits. If she's not counting points she's obsessing over what she eats or doesn't eat, or she must have her snack in five minutes, or make her medi-fast drink in 20 minutes, or we must go home so she have have her pudding on time. This woman's life revolves around her diet. She's been this way for 30 years. Food is a prison to her and I think she likes it. If she gains a few pounds she gets disgusted with herself then complains to all of us.

I'm not sure she could handle No S

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:49 pm

I too have a problem with my blood sugar...especially if I get too hungry. I get the shakes so bad that it is hard to read my handwriting. So I was a little bit concerned about the 3 meals a day but have to tell you that I left food on my plate two of the three meals yesterday and was not really hungry at all inbetween meals. And that is really saying something for this gal! :) One habit I am going to have BIG trouble breaking is when I cook.....tasting to make sure it is seasoned just right! So I will be focusing on that nasty habit of mine for sure. And I do love to cook. Have to make most of my stuff from scratch (if not all of it) as I have just found out I have five different substances that I am allergic to and that is why I have had a year long bout with eczema. I have had to start making my own cleaning products too. Such fun! :)
But really, this plan does make wonderful sense and in the long run that is what it should be about....not restricting and denying oneself...which we all know leads to an eventual downfall.
As for weighing myself....once a month should do me just fine....otherwise the scale just controls me and tells me whether I am "good" or "bad"....and I don't need that anymore. As to how fast I lose the weight....hey, I will be happy with whatever speed I lose at as long as I keep losing! This time it isn't about immediate loss gratification...it is about losing it and KEEPING it OFF!! :D Hopefully at the same time I will be getting rid of health issues...of course it will help! And I do need to get off my behind and get serious about exercise again. It is just so easy to put it off and since I do have exercise tapes that I can do in the house, it is simply my lack of enthusiasm and get up and go that is hindering me. Maybe now that I have said this to all of you, I will not be procrastinating anymore? :)
Have wonderful birthday celebrations, haganeedle and nsingjill. Isn't it nice that we can now do that and NOT feel guilty! YES!!!!!!!!! :D
Rheba

Jesseco

Post by Jesseco » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:58 pm

I have an relative who drives everyone insane with her eating habits. If she's not counting points she's obsessing over what she eats or doesn't eat, or she must have her snack in five minutes, or make her medi-fast drink in 20 minutes, or we must go home so she have have her pudding on time. This woman's life revolves around her diet. She's been this way for 30 years. Food is a prison to her and I think she likes it. If she gains a few pounds she gets disgusted with herself then complains to all of us.

I was like this relative, I am ashamed to admit! I hate to think how I've driven my husband nuts with my "needs"!

But I just finished up my third week with No S and it is going great! Maybe I will be an easier person to live with.

No_S_ing_Jill

Post by No_S_ing_Jill » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:36 pm

Jesseco wrote:
I have an relative who drives everyone insane with her eating habits. If she's not counting points she's obsessing over what she eats or doesn't eat, or she must have her snack in five minutes, or make her medi-fast drink in 20 minutes, or we must go home so she have have her pudding on time. This woman's life revolves around her diet. She's been this way for 30 years. Food is a prison to her and I think she likes it. If she gains a few pounds she gets disgusted with herself then complains to all of us.

I was like this relative, I am ashamed to admit! I hate to think how I've driven my husband nuts with my "needs"!

But I just finished up my third week with No S and it is going great! Maybe I will be an easier person to live with.
I too was like this relative! My husband is so skeptical now when I say the words "new diet" that he was not too enthused to hear about this one. But, he did read the stuff that I printed out from the website and agreed to try it with me! We are both optimistic about this one. It's something we can do and still have a life!!
Jill

Bumpkyns

Post by Bumpkyns » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:45 pm

I was also hesitant to share this with my hubby since he's heard so much over the years but still remained supportive either way. So I waited 3 weeks to tell him about this and discovered it's what he's been suggesting I do all these years, and I tuned it out from thinking I still had to do some "special diet". :roll:
Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light!

jazzys mom

Post by jazzys mom » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:48 pm

Rheba wrote:You are sooooooooo right on about it being all about the points! I just had lunch with a friend who made her goal weight and to watch her go directly to the weight watcher section of the menu (the restaurant really does have ww items with the points already calculated for you) is really sad....her life will be so limited by points. I still can tell you from the first go round exactly how many ounces are in a chicken breast!!!! :) Yes, it is so much more about the amount we eat and not what we eat. Yes, I was hungry at times yesterday but I didn't snack and to my big surprise...it didn't kill me! :lol: Today I am going out with a very dear friend for lunch and I know I can order what I really truly want and if I don't eat it all....lunch for tomorrow. I am so tired of going into restauarnts and ordering what I think I should order as whoever I am with might look at my food and think bad of me and then when I get home....look out fridge! :) I don't have to do that anymore ever!!! What a wonderful feeling. And I know it will take awhile for it to really truly sink into this "preconditioned" dieter's head but I'm trying!
have a great day, okay? Rheba
Oh my! Sounds just like I was the two times I did WW! First time I did lose a little weight and the 2nd time nada! You are so right! WW makes you a prisoner to food! I love the fact I can have anything I want as long as it fits on the plate. I have to admit though, this being my first S days this weekend, I feel a little like I have done something wrong by ordering thick French toast and having a piece of my grnaddaughter's BD. cake this afternoon!

Jazzys Mom

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:31 pm

Jazzys mom....but wasn't it fun to be able to order and eat your french toast and know the "diet police" weren't going to pounce on you? :)
Glad to know that someone else felt the same way about dear old ww! just read on another forum that our 24 points a day could have been used over 2 thousand plus ways! :shock: And we wonder why we went bonkers trying to figure out one day of eating!!! Sheesh! I went out today for lunch and had a wonderful lunch and ordered exactly what I wanted. And didn't feel guilty.......for the first time in a heck of a long time. HooRay for No S!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Rheba[/quote]

jazzys mom

Post by jazzys mom » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:57 pm

Yes, it really was fun! I probably should have had a meat (bacon or something) along with it 'cause I don't eat enough protein. But --- its an S DAY so I shall not worry about it! :P

Jazzys Mom

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:58 pm

Rheba, No S really isn't about 3 meals per day. On the main page, it says...

"I love the No S Diet, but my doctor says I need to eat 4/5/6 meals a day because of my medical condition!
The No S Diet has a little known loophole just for you. If you look closely at the site, you'll notice that nowhere does it specify the actual *number* of meals. Now most people will make a certain assumption, and most people had better stick with that assumption. But if you have a medical condition that requires you to eat more often, you can still do so and be a proud No S dieter. Just make sure to figure out what number of meals is right for you, stick with it (no changing the magic number every day), and invest in some really small plates. And talk to your doctor, of course. As for the rest of you, pretend you never read this. It's for people with doctor's notes only."

So if you are a diabetic, or have other reasons, you can easily have an additional "meal" or snack to maintain your blood sugar. If your body does not adjust to No S with 3 meals a day, add another. Love how Reinhard says you need a doctor's note! I'm guessing for many people (like me), just cutting out the number of meals will help stabilize their blood sugar. I know that even accounting for some pretty crazy S days, I have consumed so much less sugar since starting No S than before!

And Eizzo, many people are losing weight on No S. I have been making changes, and learning things, but it isn't reflected in my weight yet. Why? Because I haven't stuck to the simple rules! But I have made enough changes that if I did not change further, at least I would not continue to gain every year! And I would not be eating constantly, all day long. And I would not feel compelled to eat, just because something is available.

We actually have a rubarb pie and strawberry cheesecake in the fridge from last weekend. I had one slice of each throughout the week. (Can you say...FAIL!) But in the past, I would have finished them both off!

No S is the best!

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:30 am

Crazy Cat Lady, I find that as long as I get enough protein with each of the 3 meals, I do fine. It is when I eat cereal with no protein that I go bonkers in about 2 hours. If I try it again using whole milk, it might help. Or at least I know that I can have a small glass of milk between breakfast and lunch to ward off the shakes. I don't know if I have a medical condition for this or not...have never been tested. So guess there is no doctor's prescription for me! :wink: Am curious about it so will probably try it one day this week to see what happens. I'll try to pick a day when I know I'll be busy...that always helps keep the mind off the hunger pangs. And if I am really honest about it, I don't even know what a true hunger pang is anymore so this is definitely going to be a learning experience these next 3 weeks. Whee!! :)

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:31 am

I need protein in my meals to feel satisfied as well. You could just add a few almonds or pistachio's munched at breakfast to get you to lunch! And trust me, as you stick with No S you WILL know what hunger is, but in a very good way!

And...IMHO if you actually get dizzy or lightheaded, that would be reason enough to say the previous meal was not adequate, and have a predetermined snack (with protein). Then you will know that the previous meal was a failure, and won't have it again, unless you beef it up a little!

I don't actually get dizzy....just whiney and focused on my appetite...so I have no excuse to slip! LOL! And I'm guessing that as you stick with No S and learn how to better nourish yourself, that you will do fine. As Reinhard says, its better to put too much on the plates in the beginning, as that will naturally decrease over time. Putting too little is more likely to cause a failure.

Following quote is from the No S Diet page.

"What do you mean by "seconds?"
As I mentioned in a post to the No S diet group, by "no seconds," I officially mean one physical plate, and I think for beginners especially it's good to stick with this, even if it means a fairly overloaded plate. If the amount of food on your one plate is a little bestial and disgusting, that's part of the educational process. "

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:46 am

Obviously I have been putting more food on my plate than I needed as I did leave food a couple of times. I would like to be able to get back to eating oatmeal for my breakfast so will take your advice and add some almonds and raisins to the oatmeal. Oops, are raisins considered sweets? :? I'm thinking that if I do them in moderation they wouldn't be considered sweets but............ :?: Maybe just the added nuts would be enough to quell the shakes that usually follow eating oatmeal!
When I get REALLY hungry, I get very, very quiet and the mood gets rather piss anty! Just ask my dear hubby!!! :lol: He has suffered through those moods for years! Maybe now he won't have to do that anymore! :)

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:42 pm

Rheba wrote:Obviously I have been putting more food on my plate than I needed as I did leave food a couple of times. I would like to be able to get back to eating oatmeal for my breakfast so will take your advice and add some almonds and raisins to the oatmeal. Oops, are raisins considered sweets? :? I'm thinking that if I do them in moderation they wouldn't be considered sweets but............ :?: Maybe just the added nuts would be enough to quell the shakes that usually follow eating oatmeal!
When I get REALLY hungry, I get very, very quiet and the mood gets rather piss anty! Just ask my dear hubby!!! :lol: He has suffered through those moods for years! Maybe now he won't have to do that anymore! :)
I eat raisins every day and don't consider them sweets :) I usually just confine my raisin eating to a spoonful on my breakfast oats, but they may also feature in lunch if it consists of cereal or more oats.

As dried fruit is full of concentrated fruit sugars, a trick I use is to visualise how it is fresh, e.g. if you eat a spoonful of raisins, that's a good sized serving of grapes, if you empty half the bag of raisins into your bowl (yes, I've done this at times :D) that's probably more grapes than is sensible to eat. I have a similar system for nuts, where I consider that if I sat and shelled the nuts myself, how many would I really eat? probably about a couple of handfuls unless I had a lot of patience, so more is probably overdoing it.

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:16 pm

Thanks for the info, Bonnie. I did go ahead and put raisins in my oatmeal..about a handful, I would say. Also had a banana sliced into it. Will see what happens! If it doesn't work, will have to figure out a plan B for the oatmeal!

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:01 am

No more oatmeal for me! It was a VERY long morning!!! :( By the time lunch time was here I was shaking and so glad that I could have some food!! So I know that my first meal of the day MUST include some decent amount of protein. Good lesson for me!

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:40 am

Rheba, I have oatmeal with nuts on top, plus I drink milk. That adds enough protein for me. Someone on this board mixes in a tablespoon of peanut butter (can't recall who). So you may be able to bump up the protein a bit.

And it sounds like you NEED to bump it up, so if oatmeal doesn't work for you, hope you find something you like that does.

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:47 am

hadn't thought about putting peanut butter in it....that could help but to be truthful....I'm almost afraid to try it! :? So have not quite decided what I will do for tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll have a brain storm during the night...suppose? But I definitely thank you for the suggestion.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:20 am

There's always scrambled egg sandwiches - my childhood "comfort food" breakfast!

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:12 am

I love eggs scrambled with green chili's added, and maybe some precooked breakfast sausage (kept in a ziploc in the freezer), and usually with a sprinkle of cheese.

I understand that we don't need to eat to excess, but I've found that meals are very different on No S. Where if I pigged out the night before on snacks, and munched from breakfast to lunch (as in pre No S days), a small breakfast would hold me....now I need more substantial meals.

It takes a while to undo all the previous "diet" advice, of eating a tossed salad with diet dressing for lunch, etc etc etc. I do eat salad and lots of veggies, but its because they are delicious and good for me, not because I fear calories. The longer I try No S, the more I get signals back from my tummy, like "too empty" or "too full".

Today I was successful at NO snacks, NO sweets and NO seconds! Yay, me!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:23 am

Today I was successful at NO snacks, NO sweets and NO seconds! Yay, me!
yes CrazyCatLady,
YAY YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey