I'm in love

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

AnnaBanana

I'm in love

Post by AnnaBanana » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:21 pm

With this new way of eating!!! I only read about it yesterday afternoon and started immediately at dinnertime. Can you believe that? Nothing special to buy. Just normal food, normal portions, one plate.

I feel so liberated I cannot believe it. I feel full of hope.

I have over 75-100 lbs to lose and I had given up completely. Ironically in the last 6 months that I had given up I lost 17 lbs. That alone should have told me something.

Lifelong dieting had made me a binge eater. Today something feels different. I feel okay. Like I'm forgiven and food is not the enemy. I know that sounds corny, but it is true.

Example... last night I made homemade bread to go with our dinner. I ate one small slice. I've never done that before. I only had two modes of eating. Deprivation and binging. So I've had no bread and I've had the loaf. But I've never had one slice. This is so simple it's ridiculous, but it almost immediately frees your mindset. I didn't believe in myself anymore. I constantly beat myself up. I was bad, I was weak, etc., etc. Today I'm okay.

I have had two normal meals so far that fit on one plate, no snacks, no sugar. I feel in control knowing that tonight I can eat whatever I want as long as it fits on a plate.

As a funny side note I gave my husband a heart attack. I told him the rules were no sweets, no snacks and when I went to say no seconds it came out no sex. Should have seen the look on his face. LOL
Laura Ann
SW: 282
CW: 173
GW: 150-185

Then the time came when the pain of staying a tight bud became greater than the risk it took to bloom.

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:41 pm

Your poor husband, lmao! I bet now that he knows your mistake he is quite glad to settle for no 2nds. :lol:
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:45 pm

Welcome LauraAnn,
This is exactly what you think it is. Wonderful!
If you have been on any other diets boards , you are in for a REAL HAPPY surprise. EVERYONE is kind and helpful. :)
Just seen bumper sticker:
Humankind
Be both.

Nicola

Post by Nicola » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:54 pm

I would have loved to have seen his face!

Another nice thing is that this diet doesn't give you the diet crankies that deprivation causes!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:34 pm

Freudian slip? Just kidding.

Anyways, I have only 7 lbs to lose and I was getting the same way. Losing weight is HARD no matter how much or how little there is to lose. I had given up, too, and was so thankful when I found this diet :) I haven't weighed myself, but I believe it's working. It's been 11 days... I like it so far! :)
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:44 pm

I'm thinkin' Lilly might say that was movement with purpose. :oops:
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:52 pm

Hi LauraAnn!

Good thing Reinhard doesn't live next door to you, your hubby may have attacked :lol:

I, too, have a considerable amount of fat to release so I'm gonna keep checking in with you to see how things are going. (I said release instead of lose 'cause I'm so tired of finding fat after I lose it; this is kind of a last ditch effort for me)

Oh, and hey, I read in Prevention magazine that housework counts as exercise, especially if you do it briskly and work up a sweat! Gee, a really good reason to scrub and vacuum!

Diane
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!

sweetsong32

Post by sweetsong32 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:06 pm

Hi Laura and WELCOME!! :YES, this is very liberating and so easy and guilt free. I love it! THis is my second week on the program. I too have a considerable amount of weight to lose, over 100.
My daughter and I are doing this new way of eating together.

It is just so freeing to know you can eat whatever as long as it fits on the plate...and knowing that sweets are ok ON S DAYS.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress!

:-)
"Teaching that impacts is not head to head but heart to heart."

sandooch

Post by sandooch » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:09 pm

Welcome aboard! I've got my mom and dad, along with myself, doing No S. Everyone seems to love it so far.

Sandy

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:54 pm

Wosnes,
Definitely "movement with a purpose."
Thanks for the laugh LauraAnn & wosnes. :wink:

penelaine

Post by penelaine » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:42 am

Hi Laura Ann...I too am just starting, have 75-100 pounds to lose and could have written your thoughts word for word. Maybe when this way of eating becomes more popular there can be more of a breakdown in forum area such as a 100 lbs group. Good luck. I cant wait to hear about everyones success and to share my own. This is really gonna work this time.
4/10/2008 Started NoS: 253 lbs

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:37 am

Lifelong dieting had made me a binge eater. Today something feels different. I feel okay. Like I'm forgiven and food is not the enemy. I know that sounds corny, but it is true.
Laura Ann,

that was exactly how it was for me. I read the book, started Nosing and that was it. It has been three weeks and it seems my relationship with my food has completely changed.

It is so wonderful to not have to go around beating myself up for something I ate!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Jamiebf

So true

Post by Jamiebf » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:55 am

No more obsessing about food!! Whats not to love except yourself and food again. After 14 days I feel like a new person. The weight becomes secondary to the emotional freedom.

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:57 am

It is simply wonderful to be able to eat yummy food, enjoy it, and quit after eating a reasonable portion! I baked cinnamon apple bread this weekend, and had a few slices for breakfast this morning. It feels very good to relish really tasty food. Then not to think about it any more!

I think I'm finally getting the hang of No S. There was a TON of food at work today for someone's birthday, and a "not so helpful" friend brought me a plate with two small slices of cake on it after we had eaten lunch. I simply gave it back to her and said, "I'm trying not to eat between meals, but thanks." I did not feel at all deprived. In fact, I felt quite full after a healthy meal of leftovers and some fruit.

I'm not saying I'll never slip again. But as Laura Ann said, "I feel ok. Like I'm forgiven and food is not the enemy." That is the best part for me, too!

Noturningback

Post by Noturningback » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:39 pm

Ditto everything you said - except the sex part. I agree that it is movement with a purpose! :oops:

Another aspect of this diet that I love is that it works wonderfully on vacations. I can't mention how many times I've gone on vacation, while dieting, and either deprived myself or binged with guilt. The three rules/exception can easily be followed anywhere and no one needs to know. 8)

~Danielle

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:46 pm

CrazyCatLady wrote:
There was a TON of food at work today for someone's birthday, and a "not so helpful" friend brought me a plate with two small slices of cake on it after we had eaten lunch. I simply gave it back to her and said, "I'm trying not to eat between meals, but thanks." I did not feel at all deprived. In fact, I felt quite full after a healthy meal of leftovers and some fruit.
CatLady, you need to speak to my mother-in-law!!! I was telling her about No-S and she said it would be "impossible" at her work because people are constantly bringing in goodies. I wasn't going to argue with her because, well, you can't argue with her. I'm glad to see someone is rising to the challenge of doing No-S in a work place full of goodies. (Luckily I don't have this problem at my work)
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

Bumpkyns

Post by Bumpkyns » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:01 pm

Totally DITTO with Laura and Penelaine... same story, same thoughts. ANother loser here (of about 75lbs that is) and have felt so much of the same. Welcome aboard, and I love the idea of a 50lb or 75lb buddy or two to get thru all this with.

My friend Lilly.... LOVE that bumper sticker. (ps...check your pm)

WE CAN DO THIS PEOPLE! It's the best thing since crunchy peanut butter.
Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light!