Bad to the bone.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Lilly

Bad to the bone.

Post by Lilly » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:04 pm

OK so I am going to be naughty here.
The last time I did WW we had a leader who was VEEERY pro EXERCISE. In her 50's she had built her running level up to running marathons. So for the first 15 minutes of each the meeting we heard all about the latest in her running progress. Was it just me who noticed that no one was at this physical level but her? Especially the 3 woman who weighed , combined, apprx. 1,000 pounds, in the front row. One on oxygen.
Well anywho, one gal in her 40's started walking, then got enthused and started trotting, then running. Woops! She twisted her knee. She had to have physical therapy, then surgery and then more physical therapy, all the while on crutches. Her anticipated recovery? One year. And still the leader encouraged us on. The knee gal reached maintenance and then stopped attending meetings. I think a speaker needs to know their audiance. Irony.

Our ortho surgeons told us runners keep them in business. Their recommendations:
1. Swimming( safest least impact on body).
2. Walking

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:45 pm

I agree with you on a couple of things here Lilly. One being know your audience, and two about running. I love to run, but my foot doctor told me my hips and joints are so out of alignment that I should probably never run...and if I insist on doing it, then I should take the longest slowest build up in the history of the world! :) Unfortunately I don't have that much patience and end up injurying myself.
And last winter I tore ligaments and cartilege in my left knee skiing, so now I'm even more prone to injury there.

Walking has always been my overall favourite form of movement with purpose (formerly known as exercise, :lol: ), but I've never been a swimmer, so walking and now some bike riding it is for me :)
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:06 pm

Organicgal,
I would like to think that there is some form of movement with a purpose to be enjoyed per individual. That is to say that I really hope each and every No ser can find some form of moving with a purpose that they actually enjoy. As I've said before, for me, it is the walks I take with my little rescue dog. Her buddie's owner can't walk for awhile so I have the pleasure of being with 2 little playful dogs on my walks.
I get:
Laughing out loud at the pup's antics. They are just so darn cute. My lil pup will shake himself and levitate causing his lil paws to actually twirl in the air. Joyful. The pups each have very distinct personalities and I love interacting with them.
Serenity. Calmness. Peace. Enjoyment of this planet and the weather. Meeting so many neighbors as they walk their dogs.
Walking the pups is I gift I give myself.

And all for the price of a pair of Easy Spirits.

Many of my neighbors are catapulting towards 60(the youngsters). Many of them like to travel but also love dogs. We have a thriving community of people who walk dogs and puppysit overnight when the owner's are out of town. So for some they travel and still are able to have frequent doggie interaction without the obligation. They earn a lil $$$ and keep up their stamina.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:28 pm

My daughter used to be a cross country runner. Running is particularly hard for women because of hip/pelvic structure. All the weird injuries that female runners are prone to get, she got. Most women runners who are competitive are built like boys -- no hips. You rarely see a curvy woman runner.

Now she rides a bike.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

sandooch

Post by sandooch » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:21 pm

I am so anti-running or any exercise that is high impact. I've talked to a nurse who worked with osteoperosis patients and she would tell me of all the runners who's come in there with fractures from running and how it makes your bones old before their time. Not to mention she also said it messes up you internal organs as well. Personally, I think all that jarring and bouncing does a major disservice to your breasts and skin.

My mom didn't listen though. She loves to run, or maybe I should say loved to run. She was recently diagnosed with severe osteoperosis in her spine and hips. She is now a walker but still misses her running days. She's also fractured 4 bones during her running days.

I'm sticking to low impact exercises only!

Sandy

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:29 pm

I'm also a nurse and while I've not worked with osteoporosis patients, I'm aware of just the opposite as well. It may well be more of an individual thing or one being more prone to certain injuries, etc. Running isn't my thing, though.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

sweetsong32

Post by sweetsong32 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:35 pm

I have really been thinking about what you said about moving with a purpose.
While I dont exercise, per se, I have made a conscious effort to keep moving. LIke, constantly walking around my classroom. Sometimes I would stand still, or even sit on a stool when teaching, now I move while talking. And while the students are doing independent work, instead of sitting at my desk, I am moving around the room more.
I also, park farther away.
At home, I try to keep busy, dusting, vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, rearranging, etc.
I swear, my house has never been so clean since I started no sing.
lol
I have also started doing working in my yard. Pulling weeds is amazing exercise! lol. My legs are sore from yesterday! I cant wait til this coming weekend; I amgoing to add flowers!
"Teaching that impacts is not head to head but heart to heart."