Anyone else actually dread S weekends?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

babyprrr

Anyone else actually dread S weekends?

Post by babyprrr » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:58 pm

I've been on NoS for nearly a year now, and I've got my N days nearly perfect... I very rarely have any reds on my N days now ( touch wood!), and I think I've got the habit thing down quite well.

The result of this is that I have grown to nearly 'dread' my weekends. On one hand, I think 'yay! I can eat whatever I want!" and on the other hand, it's a constant struggle for me to decide what I'm going to eat and what not. The thing I dread the most is probably that sick, overbloated feeling after eating too much. I do try to plan a special treat, like a nice dessert after dinner on both days, but even then, starting from after breakfast, this little voice keeps telling me 'go have a snack' or ' go buy a chocolate bar from the corner shop..why not , u deserve it." and then one part of me thinks it's silly to make myself eat when I don't even really want it, but another part of me thinks I should not restrict myself on S days.

I think my years and years of binging habits have carried over and when left to my own devices, food is still a struggle to overcome. Even when I'm not really hungry and don't really want it ( for example, i had a kitkat bar last week and I don't even like them anymore), I think I should 'feed' myself lots of junk just cuz it's an S day...if that makes any sense? Then I feel really bloated and regret it. I actually feel so much better when it gets back to Monday morning, and I know I don't have to worry about food for the rest of the week.

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:05 pm

Normally I'm not a fan of additional restrictions, but given that you have been at this for nearly a year and are having such difficulty with S days and enjoy the structure of N days so much more, it might be time to institute an S day restriction. How about something like you can have 1 snack, 1 sweet and seconds at 1 meal either each day or all weekend. That way you are still getting the release valve of having any food available for you and each one of your Ss, but you aren't risking binging and hating yourself later.

Another idea, and a better one I believe, is to talk to a professional about this. Years of a binging habit are hard to break, sometimes you have to call in reinforcements.
Heather

sandooch

Re: Anyone else actually dread S weekends?

Post by sandooch » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:14 pm

babyprrr wrote:I've been on NoS for nearly a year now, and I've got my N days nearly perfect... I very rarely have any reds on my N days now ( touch wood!), and I think I've got the habit thing down quite well.

The result of this is that I have grown to nearly 'dread' my weekends. On one hand, I think 'yay! I can eat whatever I want!" and on the other hand, it's a constant struggle for me to decide what I'm going to eat and what not. The thing I dread the most is probably that sick, overbloated feeling after eating too much. I do try to plan a special treat, like a nice dessert after dinner on both days, but even then, starting from after breakfast, this little voice keeps telling me 'go have a snack' or ' go buy a chocolate bar from the corner shop..why not , u deserve it." and then one part of me thinks it's silly to make myself eat when I don't even really want it, but another part of me thinks I should not restrict myself on S days.

I think my years and years of binging habits have carried over and when left to my own devices, food is still a struggle to overcome. Even when I'm not really hungry and don't really want it ( for example, i had a kitkat bar last week and I don't even like them anymore), I think I should 'feed' myself lots of junk just cuz it's an S day...if that makes any sense? Then I feel really bloated and regret it. I actually feel so much better when it gets back to Monday morning, and I know I don't have to worry about food for the rest of the week.
I'm just starting out here, but I here ya. I love my N days and can do it with no problem. But my for S days this past weekend were not too good. I understand that it will get better, but I am with you in the fact that years of constant dieting/binging really is something that takes time to learn to break. I hope Reinhard comes in here with some positive advice for you; although, I think that Heather gave you some great advice.

Sandy

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:45 pm

It sounds like your problem with weekend S days is more between your ears than in what you actually do or eat. How do you do on the other S days -- like holidays or birthdays?

Keep your desserts, but eat what you really want when and if the situation arises and not worry about it the rest of the time? If you have something you really like for a meal -- you can have seconds. If you're out and about and you're hungry or if there's some "not to be missed" treat,, you can have a snack. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to do it -- especially if you don't want to do it!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:43 am

Remember the grey word on the website and it is mentioned in the book -

SOMETIMES

This is where 'sometimes' is invaluable. When the voices in your head start chattering, give them the 'sometimes' treatment and if you are not hungry then use 'sometimes' as your armor to wait till your planned snack or treat.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:16 pm

I have the same problem. I have decided to limit my S days to twice a month on Saturdays when I have an "outing" into the city. The rest of the time I'm at home and the stress is too great to limit any bingeing I might want to do. I've already seen that I can control myself when not at home.

f

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:05 pm

The ONLY reason tweaking (which really wasn't tweaking only making more concrete the SOMETIMES) was recommended was because she had been at this so long with no results.

Newer No Ser's please DO NOT ADD RESTRICTIONS. Give the plan, all 13 words, a chance to work first.

Please listen to someone who has been there, done that and came crawling back with my tail between my legs. DON'T TWEAK. Additional restrictions have a dangerously high probability of causing you to give up. Remember what attracted you to the plan in the first place. Simplicity. Keep it as simple as it is written.
Heather

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:10 pm

I would like to know if after a year you have lost weight???
Resting52

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:30 pm

Babyprrr, I've been in a very similar position. I've tried one thing, which helps a surprising amount... I can still have anything I want, but I have to sit at the table to eat it.

That one change - which does not affect freedom AT ALL, just makes me more mindful of whether I really DO want something or not - has helped a lot. It's surprising how much mindless eating I was doing at the computer.

The other strategy is planning wonderful meals and proactive treats. Why bother with a candy bar that you don't even like that much if there's going to be home-made cherry pie with dinner, and dinner includes my favorite foods? My best S-days seem to happen when I allow myself something truly scrumptious, enough so that I turn my nose up at normal junk.

Good luck!

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:19 pm

You are not alone. That is my one and only problem at this point, but due to the fact that I only have 17 pounds to lose, my S days are killing me. I have not gained, but I have not lost anything in the nearly 3 months that I have been doing this. This week I have kicked up my exercise and this weekend I plan to indulge only from 5PM to 9PM, that is the hardest time for me, and I figure I can do a lot less damage in 4 hours than I can do in 12 hours.
Dawn

Buffalo Gal

Post by Buffalo Gal » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:33 pm

I worry about S days a little and I think how we use them will be very different for each of us. For me S days are "Special" but not more special than me! I'll eat that Hot Fudge Sunday but I won't top it off with a pizza :)

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:39 pm

This will be my very first weekend coming up and I am not dreading it in the least! :lol: I am curious to see how it goes, but I'm learning to relax for the first time around food. I had a meal today for lunch that looked very much like what I would have eaten a month ago on a very strict diet. But, today I ate it because it's what I truly wanted! I feel great.
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:31 am

resting52 wrote:I would like to know if after a year you have lost weight???
Resting52

hmm this is a tricky one. First of all, I don't have that much weight to lose..my BMI is about 20, and i started on NoS to lose five or six 'vanity' pounds and also to deal with my unhealthy skip meals/binge habits.

I've lost those six pounds about three months into doing NoS initially, then gained a few back on vacation ( when I took an S day everyday), and a few back when I returned to college from summer break. This was mainly because although I was still having mostly successes, I had three or four red days a month, my S weekends were VERY idiotic, I was eating really massive portions on NoS days, not exercising and drinking quite a lot of alcohol.

Right now, I'm trying to lose the five pounds I regained and hopefully maintain after that. I've just finished a few stressful exams and this is the first year ever I've not binge-ate my way due to exam stress. Normally I would gain five/six pounds during this time of the year but I've managed to maintain so I thank NoS for that.

On a side note, had a non-idiotic S weekend this week. Did that thing of having a fistful of S food for each place I was at. On Saturday, went for afternoon tea at this lovely old-fashioned tea place, and had finger sandwiches and three very small macaroons. Went to a formal dinner in the evening so had dessert there. Sunday was a three hour drive home, so stopped for coffee half way and shared half a bag of crisps with my friend, and had a slice of birthday cake after dinner. No mindless snacking, no idiotic behaviour. Overall, it was a good weekend!

Apologies for the very long post.