Any Gastric Bypass People Here?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

janiean1

Any Gastric Bypass People Here?

Post by janiean1 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:25 am

Hi Everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone here has had the stomach surgery gastric bypass. I had my surgery November of 2004. Sadly to say, the honeymoon phase is over! I began at 322 lbs, and now I weight about 170. I have gained approximately 40 pounds back, and I am very upset about this. I bought the magazine and the book. My stomach is small, and I am wondering how this could work for me.

Thanks,

Janie

pinkmommy

Post by pinkmommy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:36 am

Me. Sort of. I didn't have gastric bypass. I had the vertical sleeve gastrectomy which is a smaller, different shaped stomach but no malabsorption. I have decided to try No S with 4 meals a day instead of 3. I think if I tried 3, I wouldn't get enough nutrition or I would confusal myself by trying to justify between meal snacks. I did read that there is no set rule for how many meals a day you can have so this is within the rules.

Good luck. I know I've gained some weight back too and am worried because I don't want to gain any more. Plus, I feel like I am under a microscope and people are watching me. Hate that feeling.
Rondi
cherishedbirth.com

janiean1

Hi PinkMommy!

Post by janiean1 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:39 am

Thanks for the quick response. I wanted to tell you that before I had the gastric bypass surgery, I also had a sleeve gastroplasty. My liver was so enlarged that I had to have this surgery first so my liver would shrink down to normal size. This made it easier for the surgeon to do the gastric bypass. I do know that we don't absorb as much so I was wondering if more than the 3 meals would be better.

I feel like people are watching me, too! It's upsetting to have gained that much weight back in a short amount of time. I wished I'd known about this diet a long time ago! Would have saved me some surgeries I think!!

Janie

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:40 am

Do you have a doc or nutritionist that you can talk to? I can't imagine No S not being safe for you, but it does seem that you will probably need more frequent meals. Talking to a doc or nutritionist would be a good idea IMO.

And totally awesome on losing from 322 to 170! That is wonderful! And now you can No S your way to having a comfortable relationship with food, and getting to a better weight. (Although honestly, I used to look pretty hot when I weighed 160 pounds, if I do say so myself. I look forward to the day when I can say that I only weigh 170 pounds!)

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:40 pm

I'm no doctor and I never had that surgery, but I definitely think No-S can help you maintain your weight, along with exercise.

Congrats on your results so far! :)
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

Noturningback

Post by Noturningback » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:27 pm

Janie,

Congraulations of a job well done. Perhaps you are being hard on yourself? We've all fallen off the horse at some time and in some way. You lost a LOT of weight. I don't know what your weight range should be but, 170 seems a lot better than where you started - health wise. I'm not a doctor or dietician but, I can see how the No S Diet would help you address your eating habits and help you get to a healthier size in time.

You have come so far. Personally - I would get up, brush off the dirt and jump back in the saddle. I know that is easier said then done but, you're a strong woman. I know this from what you have accomplished so far.

I agree that you may have to adjust since you have special circumstances.

~Danielle

penelaine

Post by penelaine » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:08 pm

Yeah I was 160 once a looooong time ago. I'm gonna get there again. I think you know yourself and the effects of the surgery the best. I believe its not about how many meals as it is about stopping the cycle of mindless eating..snacking for most of us. I have been known to be cooking my dinner (which I would be eating in 20 minutes) and shoving cookies down my throat. Only to eat two platefuls of food. Good Luck
4/10/2008 Started NoS: 253 lbs

BrightAngel

Gastric Bypass 15 years ago

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:04 pm

Hi. I had a gastric bypass 15 years ago.
At that time I weighed 271 (I'm 5'0").

Before my bypass I had a lifetime of yo-yo dieting,
and I had lost 100 lbs and regained it three separate times,
plus smaller amounts many times.

In my surgery, my stomach was cut apart, forming a small pouch,
my intestines were re-routed to that pouch but not shortened,
and every bite I eat still gets digested and every calorie still counts.
After surgery I lost down to 160,
kept my weight in the 160s for a few years,
and then, as I continued to graze
eating as much as my body would allow me to,
weight began creeping back on.

About 3 1/2 years ago I was back up to 190 lbs,
and I knew I would have to begin dieting or go back over 200 lbs.
Fortunately as I browsed the web, I found a software program that was a food journal.
9/2004 I began using it while dieting and counting calories,
I followed no particular plan, just tried to eat only about 1000 to 1200 daily calories,
and about 16 months later 1/2006 I reached my all time goal of 115 lbs.

This is my 27th month of Maintaining that weight loss.
I've done lots of different food plans during that time,
but used my Diet Power food journal through them all.
This is my first day of the No S Diet, and I'm feeling quite hopeful about it.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:55 pm

I have a friend who is having her stomach reduced( today) to only be able to hold one ounce of anything at a time. I don't know what the surgery is called. Don't want to know. If I could have kept my intake to one ounce at a meal I wouldn't have needed surgery.
I have heard so many post surgery nightmares(complications). One gal still had a drain 3 months after surgery. No thanks. Or as BrightAngel relates the weight loss is not permanent.

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:58 pm

There is no set number of meals. If you have a medical condition, ie: gastric bypass, and need to eat 4/5/6 smaller meals you can still follow No S. If you scroll down the nosdiet.com home page you will find more info. It is also in the book.
Heather

eizzo

hi

Post by eizzo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:03 am

Hi janiean1

I sent you a pm message.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:16 pm

lmt2pt wrote:There is no set number of meals. If you have a medical condition, ie: gastric bypass, and need to eat 4/5/6 smaller meals you can still follow No S. If you scroll down the nosdiet.com home page you will find more info. It is also in the book.
My gastric bypass was 15 years ago, and my body has adapted.
This surgery actually gives me "an edge" in a 3-meal a day plan,
because I'm still not able to eat an enormous amount of food at one setting,
and one plate of food consisting of, for example:

3 oz meat, 1/2 cup rice or pasta, 1/2 to 1 cup veggies
OR
1 lean cuisine and a small green salad

makes me full. Add a piece of bread or fruit and I feel a bit stuffed.

However, I get really hungry again fast,
and in my past dieting efforts over the past 15 years, I've always eaten
a bit less at mealtime so I could fit in a mid-morning, mid-afternoon, and evening snack.

This is really 3 larger meals and 3 tiny meals..
....mostly low-calorie foods because my total calorie burn...including 1 hr daily exercise....is only about 1400 calories.
It has been successful...except when I don't conform to it,
and eat more food or higher calorie foods.

I've never had a doctor's permission to do this.
My bariatic surgeon's instructions were simply to:
  • Eat 3 meals a day, with 1/2 of each meal protein; and no snacking.
Post-surgery I found myself unwilling or unable to follow those instructions,
and ate whenever my body would allow me to do so.
...which is...no doubt...why my initial weight loss stopped at 160,
AND...why I gained back up to 190 before being willing to diet again.

So, here I am, trying to follow similiar rules in the No S diet...except for days that begin with S....
Can I make myself do it?
....I don't know................. :?:
I hope I can.

But I will hold in reserve the thought of the possibility....
of continuing a modified No S plan by changing it to the
6 meal plan that is more normal for me: 3 large and 3 small.
This could still be an effective way for me to limit calories,
because I have developed the habit of recording all my food
and counting calories in my Diet Power program
and intend to continue doing so the rest of my life.
(I've done this for over 1300 consecutive days, and still enjoy doing it)

But for today, I'm making the 3 meal a day Effort on Day 3.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com