Let's have some fun, NoSers

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Lilly

Let's have some fun, NoSers

Post by Lilly » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:50 pm

I'll start.
Can you guess the game?
1) Breyers Yo Crunch LOWFAT yogurt with CANDY pieces.

Bumpkyns

Post by Bumpkyns » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:55 pm

I can't guess it, unless it has to do with a favorite of something... my blonde roots or maybe my chemo brain is in the way... SPILL IT GIRLFRIEND!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light!

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:13 pm

Lowfat and candy are in all caps. Is that a hint?
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

Bumpkyns

Post by Bumpkyns » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:16 pm

Darn, she's gonna make me THINK!!!!!!! :x :wink:
Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light!

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:16 pm

does it have something to do with being low in fat (yogurt) but high in sugar (candy)?Oxymoron?

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:23 pm

Is this like

DIETS don't work, WEIGHT WATCHERS does?

except with food?
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:40 pm

Are we trying to guess a game like a card game or a board game or a TV game?
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

jazzys mom

Post by jazzys mom » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:46 pm

A LOWFAT CANDY????? Like Twizzlers?

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:10 pm

This is a little preface to my answer. Last year I went to a nutritionist in an effort to get a handle on my eating. Recently I found a list of food that she suggested, and if I wasn't grateful enough for No S before (trust me, I was!), I am now. Here is what she wanted me to eat for snacks: Luna and South Beach bars, Sargento lite cheese, Breyer's light ice cream bars, lite yogourt, diet popcorn with a few sprays of artificial butter in a diffuser bottle, Lean Cuisine, frozen juice bars, frozen Chinese vegetables with low-calorie flavored sauce, etc . . . Obviously, I didn't do too well with her. So I am guessing that the theme of this thread is disgusting diet foods that we have eliminated from our lives.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:33 pm

You know, I've really started to wonder about dietitians and nutritionists. Be it in private practices or in the media, they recommend so much crap that I wouldn't eat on a bad day. I'd have to be really desparate. I wonder if the Luna bar reps visit them like the pharmaceutical reps visit doctors.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:34 pm

Food with an identity crisis.

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:34 pm

Hey, Lilly!

How about: foods that are labeled to sound healthy but aren't? Or, LOWFAT because they've added SUGAR to make it taste better? You just can't trust anything but the ingredients label, and sometimes even then you have to be a chemist to understand them. I've seen food labels for products that have so many chemicals that they should be used to clean my car.

Diane
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:38 pm

When I started this posting I was thinking of one thing. I realized that the one thing is much bigger than I had thought.
Reinhard mentions in his book and on the board a book called Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink. This is a must read if you want to get in and stay in the driver's seat as far as being aware of what you are eating and why. Trust me. Eye opening.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:55 pm

I agree that the Mindless Eating book is great.

People's preferences determine whether a food is delicious or disgusting.
For example, the author of the No S Diet book thought artificial sweeteners were disgusting, but I, personally, love to use foods with artificial sweeteners, especially Splenda, and I don't plan to live a day without them on this or any other diet. In fact, I've rejected every otherwise "good" diet that told me I couldn't have them whenever I wanted.

So, see, my guess about the food would be that it is a "sweet" and if you want it, it will have to be on an S day.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:58 pm

And I can't stand artificial sweeteners, refuse to eat food with them in it, and would completely reject a diet that said I had to use them.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:15 pm

One of the most useful tidbits I took away from Mindless Eating was how those "hidden" calories add up. Overeating by just 100 calories a day (two cookies!) can add ten pounds in a year.

This has long been a staple of diets in "women's magazines". You know the ones that talk about magically losing pounds by cutting back in small ways (Eat 1/2 tablespoon less of peanut butter each day and lose 10 pounds in a year!)

What they never say is that YOU CAN NEVER REINTRODUCE THAT HALF TABLESPOON OF PEANUT BUTTER AGAIN TO YOUR EATING.

And really, how ridiculous is it to cut out a 1/2 tablespoon of peanut butter, assuming that you eat it every day in the first place.

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:17 pm

Blithe Morning said: One of the most useful tidbits I took away from Mindless Eating was how those "hidden" calories add up.

Sounds like I should read this book too! One thing I try very hard not to do is "taste" foods as I cook. That's an easy way to pack on extra calories. I suppose one could taste and then spit out what's been tasted, but that's really gross, and frankly not a habit I'd like to form. (Yeah, I know, wine tasters do just that).

Reading A New Earth has enabled me to be more present and aware in everything I do. It's especially important to be "present" when you eat. Food is ever so much more enjoyable when you really taste every mouthful and the only way to do that is to be aware. That's my goal: to be more aware. When I think about the time I've squandered living in the past or fantasizing the future...what a waste. And all the tasting experiences I missed because my mind was otherwise engaged while I was eating is just shameful. No wonder my weight spiraled out of control. :oops:

Diane
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:01 am

Diane,
The thing that really stuck with me, the main thing I took from the book was what I have been saying. Everytime you look at any food in the market, in a magazine, on tv, at a snack machine, anywhere your eyes see food, you subconsciously decide to eat it or not. This happens about 200 times a day. So yes, it is true that we pick what goes on our plate 3xa day. We do not chose the other 197 decisions we are exposed too and make subconsciously
So now that no sing will be my way of life I shop 2 ways. I either make a decision on what I will eat that day or decide to wander aimlessly in the market and just go with what looks good. Either way, I am making the choices. When I have a shopping list and something "looks good" I do not buy it because that was one of the other 197 food cues. When I choose to wander I know that I am being controlled but after I have my 3 plates worth, I stop shopping. So I always win.