How many food decisions do you think you make a day?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Lilly

How many food decisions do you think you make a day?

Post by Lilly » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:14 pm

Anyone care to guess?

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:15 pm

Now, 3. What is for breakfast? What is for lunch? What is for dinner?

Before No S: I'd guess 283
Heather

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:39 pm

In Mindless Eating, surveys show we make over 200 food decisions a day. Mostly all unconscioustly. This is why I recommend the book so highly. 200x30=6,000 food decisions a month. Does it make you want to know more? If you are making this many food decisions unconsciously the deck can be stacked against you. This is not another diet book. Reinhard references it himself. Find out how & why you make a lot of the food decisions you do and take charge.

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:17 pm

lmt2pt wrote:Now, 3. What is for breakfast? What is for lunch? What is for dinner?

Before No S: I'd guess 283
ROFL! That is kind of what I was thinking. Very few, now. Most of the time I just have to think about the three meals. Before No S, multiple times each day. LOL!

apple

Post by apple » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:00 am

3 meal decisions,
And then there are the decisions like this: "shall I have a piece of chocolate?" and then have to say no to myself...

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:42 pm

It's astounding how few now, compared to before.

And I notice it. On my daily check-in thread, I list what I've eaten that day, just because. It's easy to remember what I've had. However, when I was doing WW, I had to write things down right away, because I wouldn't be able to remember by the end of the day.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:58 pm

In Mindless Eating, surveys show we make over 200 food decisions a day

Mindless Eating is a good book, but this number is part of the problem: that's too many decisions to make well. It's just hopeless. So instead of focusing on making them better, No-s focuses on reducing their number. 3 meals might comprise more than 3 decisions, but I'd say it reduces the total number by an order of magnitude or so. With so many fewer decisions to make, you'll make them better without any further systematic intervention. You CAN actually make good decisions when there are just a handful (or two) to be made every day.

Reinhard

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:21 pm

I may be mistaken but I thought his point also encompassed the mindless decisions we make. AKA subliminally. I know I have given BAGS of food to the food bank and wondered what prompted me to buy these items in the first place.

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:36 pm

My other working plan was to go to the market and come home with all this amazingly beautiful produce which was not on my grocery list. It all looked so good! Then what happens is as it rots, I pitch it, one a t a time. I have done this countless times. My point being buying and eating suffered a disconnect. Now I make sure I DO want to eat what I buy and since No S, no waste. I pitched a pretty penny's worth of "desserts" last week, post s day. I mentioned before I had a stash. Now I am stashless for the first time in decades. I will only buy what desserts I want this weekend and not more than I will reasonably consume. No more waste. No more "impulse" buying.
My eye caught some form of chips out in an aisle and my mind said(in this order) you can't have them, oh yes you can, you can fit them on your plate to Hey, I don't even want them! I wasn't in th chip aisle I was buying onions. My point is why did I even have the dialogue. surely this was one of my 200 mindless decisions?

stevecooper

choices on weightwatchers.

Post by stevecooper » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:11 am

I decided to figure out just how complicated it is to spend your weightwatchers points. When I tried WW, I was on 24 points a day.

I wondered, how complicated is this system? How many choices do I have to make? How many different ways are there to divvy up 24 points amongst 3 meals and maybe a snack?

So I did the maths. Turns out there exactly two thousand, seven hundred and eighty three ways to divide your points.

And people wonder why WW sends you bonkers. ;)

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:27 pm

Where I am right now....which is in day 3 of my "firm committment" to the No S Plan....
It isn't so much that I have to make lots of decisions re specific foods.
It's that I keep having to tell myself No.
And to continually remind myself of my committment to keep from snacking.
I'm hoping that, for me, Snacking is just a Habit that will be changed over time.
The only way I can find out for sure, in my case, is to follow through and work to keep the committment.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Bumpkyns

Post by Bumpkyns » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:58 pm

:lol:

(kidding... pretty much B, L and D.)
Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light!

Noturningback

Re: choices on weightwatchers.

Post by Noturningback » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:46 pm

stevecooper wrote:I decided to figure out just how complicated it is to spend your weightwatchers points. When I tried WW, I was on 24 points a day.

I wondered, how complicated is this system? How many choices do I have to make? How many different ways are there to divvy up 24 points amongst 3 meals and maybe a snack?

So I did the maths. Turns out there exactly two thousand, seven hundred and eighty three ways to divide your points.

And people wonder why WW sends you bonkers. ;)
OMG - I can't believe you did the math but, that is just awesome information.

Thanks!
~Danielle

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:50 pm

3 is such a nice number....I like 3...3 is my new favourite number :D

Anyone else liking 3 more then they used to? How did 3 get shoved in the background when it is such a nice easy going number?

Let's all give 3 cheers for '3'...lol....Hip hip....ok I'm getting silly...but I love this plan :)
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:53 pm

BUMP

Reinhard sent me to this thread when I posted the topic "Hundred Decisions a Day"

I liked bizzybee's post speaking of how she trained the puppy. Ever since then the image of "Crating the Puppy" has popped into my head. I love it.

I also love the Weight Watcher Point possibilities--LOL

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:02 pm

I make 6 food decisions a day.
1. When to start eating
and
2. When to stop eating.

Three time a day :mrgreen:
LOL
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:28 pm

Hmm, let's see..

What to have for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, a decision of how much to put on my plate (x3), and telling myself a few times not to have ice cream after dinner.

So about 8 decisions a day, I suppose?
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille