Whole Milk vs. Soy Milk

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

DianeA2Z

Whole Milk vs. Soy Milk

Post by DianeA2Z » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:16 am

Having had mostly non-fat and 1% milk for years and years, I was following an allergy type of diet that required me to eliminate dairy. I started drinking low-fat soy milk (unsweetened, plain). I liked it, but now have gone back to 1% milk. After reading Reinhard's book I'm contemplating using whole milk. Does anyone happen to know which is better for you healthwise? Thanks!

Diane
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!

Tulsa

Post by Tulsa » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:25 am

Whole raw milk is best.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:59 am

Here's my thinking about milk vs. soymilk:

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" - Shakespeare

My own thinking is that milk of any kind should be used more in cooking than as a beverage. In places where the dairy association isn't so powerful, milk is not a popular beverage. More soymilk is consumed in the U.S. than in Japan. When you consider that very few people use it here, that's pretty amazing.

The popularity of both of them is more due to advertising than anything else.

A percentage of people have problems with both of them.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

lola628

Post by lola628 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:51 am

hi! I drink both and I feel great drinking both, but I tend to lose weight when I'm drinking the soy milk on cereal, etc. Also, when I use soy milk my PMS symptoms go way down. I know everyone is different so perhaps see how you feel on each one.

Maybe in your food journal keep track of what you drink and when, then at the end of the day how you're feeling. I'm going to start doing this.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:55 am

lola628 wrote:Also, when I use soy milk my PMS symptoms go way down. I know everyone is different so perhaps see how you feel on each one.
I used soy for a bit to reduce menopausal symptoms -- which really weren't bad. What a shock! They were exacerbated. I had more trouble with the soy than without it. Like you said, everyone is different.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:45 am

Which do you enjoy more? If it satisfies you go with that one. (And that means which you drink may change)

Each has it's pros and cons.
Heather

franxious

Post by franxious » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:16 pm

Tulsa wrote:Whole raw milk is best.
From a health standpoint alone, I also believe this is best -- but it's not easy to find raw milk! I just use organic whole milk, just pasteurized (not ultra-pasteurized)

But, from an enjoyment standpoint, you should just choose what you like best. Or, use both in your meals (not at the same time).

Jaymiz

Post by Jaymiz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:45 pm

Just a word of warning about soy... if you have a thyroid issue, you might not want to drink soy milk. Apparently soy milk & thyroid issues do not mix. It'll cause you to gain TONS of weight.

My sister didn't know she had a thyroid problem, so she started drinking soy milk because she thought she might have an intolerance for regular milk. Then she started gaining weight like crazy, even though she was walking TONS and eating mostly vegetables -- very healthily, anyway.

She could not figure out why she was gaining weight so rapidly.

One day, she got it into her head to research Soy milk, and found this info about the link to thyroid problems. So, she made an appointment with her doctor to get her thyroid checked. Sure enough, she had issues in that department.

She stopped drinking the soy milk, and the weight started dropping off. She now avoids soy. LOL

I'd say, go with whatever you prefer. Personally, I like 1%, but that's just me. ;)

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:53 am

Jaymiz wrote:Just a word of warning about soy... if you have a thyroid issue, you might not want to drink soy milk. Apparently soy milk & thyroid issues do not mix. It'll cause you to gain TONS of weight.

I'd say, go with whatever you prefer. Personally, I like 1%, but that's just me. ;)
First of all, let me thank you all so much for your input! It's so great to be able to tap into all these brains :D

Jaymiz, I'm really glad to have read your comment because I do have hypothyroidism and take thyroid medication every day. I did not know about the soy/thyroid connection, so thank you so much for that! Kind of makes my decision way easier. :wink:

Again, everyone...Thank you!

Diane
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!