Here's a strange dilemma....

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

OrganicGal

Here's a strange dilemma....

Post by OrganicGal » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:34 pm

I'm coming up to my 2nd S weekend and I know I'm gonna want something sweet. And yet I can't really think of anything that I really have a craving/desire/fantasy for....hmmmmm. I don't think I've ever been in this position in my life... :lol: I know that I want my S day sweet to be something special. Not just some (excuse me) cr*p out of a bag or package. So there's my dilemma...what do I really want that is actually gonna make my taste buds and my tummy do the happy dance?

What's your absolute desire/craving when it comes to sweets?
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:37 pm

Go to a bakery and get something that's fresh! mmmm!
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:51 pm

Bakery or home-made, for sure.

My current fave is home-made brownies, the fudgy type. Here's a link to a recipe that can be made with stuff I normally have on hand. (I usually make a half-batch, which is plenty for my family of 3. Use an 8x8 pan and bake about 5 minutes less.)

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/fudgebrownies.htm (Scroll down past the ads for the actual recipe.)

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:53 pm

KCCC wrote:Bakery or home-made, for sure.

My current fave is home-made brownies, the fudgy type. Here's a link to a recipe that can be made with stuff I normally have on hand. (I usually make a half-batch, which is plenty for my family of 3. Use an 8x8 pan and bake about 5 minutes less.)

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/fudgebrownies.htm (Scroll down past the ads for the actual recipe.)
That is a damn good recipe. I must try it.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:56 pm

I took some leftovers to the office and had requests for the recipe. Wish I could take credit for it!

I found it one weekend when I wanted something special, did NOT want to go to the store, and was out of chocolate chips and various other ingredients for my usual recipes... so I googled for recipes, because I didn't want just anything.

Just finding "something special enough" was actually kind of fun.

cornelia

happy surprise

Post by cornelia » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:00 pm

My craving isn't for sweets, and it hardly ever is. I just want stuff like pizza etc. Well, today, our office decided to have Mexican. Boy, did that sound good. I have been doing really well and have only been eating only healthy lunches and suppers for over a week. If I was on any other diet, I would have just passed, but on nos, I could have something. Well, I ordered a Taco Salad, no beans. Stayed with-in the nos rules just fine. You know after about 3 bites of that Taco Salad, I didn't even want it. Two weeks ago, I would have eaten most of it, and felt liked a hot air balloon the rest of the afternoon. Today I threw away most of it. A lot of my tastes in food are changing along with my habits, I guess. I didn't even realize it until this happened today. As for sweets this weekend. I think I might have some strawberries on angel food cake on Sunday and some popcorn on Saturday. Trying to not go overboard too much, but still having a little something special. We will probably both find out that it's not going to taste as good as we imagine it is.

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:25 pm

Thanks for all your answers. :) I'm gonna have to do some thinkin' and some exploring of local bakeries maybe, as I'm not a baker by nature. I like to cook, especially for a crowd, but not bake...lol...figure that one out.

I have known for a long time also.....that I have a chocolate tooth, more then a sweet tooth...not that I'm sayin' chocolate doesn't count as a sweet :o

I'd still like to hear of other peoples favourites too, please :D
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:48 pm

Cookies! I like chocolate, but I'm not a real chocoholic. I hit chocolate overkill pretty quickly. I also like lemon desserts. I like cakes and pies, but I'll take a cookie or a pastry before that. Oh, pound cake, too. Especially lemon.

But, in relation to your dilemma, why not just play it by ear? Sometimes I know ahead of time what the sweet treat will be; sometimes I don't.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

mjn

Post by mjn » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:51 pm

I think alot of people worry too much about what they are going to have on their S days. Why not just go with the fact that nothing is really sounding all that great and jumping out at you and have a normal eating day. You will probably feel better and lose weight faster. It would also get you into the way of life of No S living. Maybe it would help you not worry so much about S days on N days.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:03 pm

mjn wrote:I think alot of people worry too much about what they are going to have on their S days. Why not just go with the fact that nothing is really sounding all that great and jumping out at you and have a normal eating day. You will probably feel better and lose weight faster. It would also get you into the way of life of No S living. Maybe it would help you not worry so much about S days on N days.
Planning or worrying about it in advance probably isn't the best idea. However, purposely skipping an S day isn't recommended either. "S" is part of "No-S".
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:10 am

mjn...I'm not worrying about it at all. I'm just puzzling over this dilemma that I've never faced in my life before. It's always been, just shovel in whatevers handy, or the first things you see at the grocery store. So, now that I have freedom of choice, it's kinda weird.

But since nothing jumped out at me when I think about it, I'll just wait and see what happens on the weekend. I may very well end up having nothing, who knows.

drswife

Post by drswife » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:42 am

real chocolate crossaint w/ a big mug of cafe mocha...just like when I was in France...hmmmmmmm I think I know what I'm having this weekend! :)

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:58 am

My favorite treats are as follows:

donuts from our local shop with chai tea latte
Godiva Chocolate
Carrot Cake from Von's
Homemade chocolate chip cookies with walnuts
Mocha Almond Fudge soy delicious
Soy Delicous Chocolate/Vanilla Bars....

ooo oooo ooo and frozen mini peanut butter cups!

My fourth series of S days is coming up and I find it hugely helpful to plot and plan my treaties. I think Reinhard refers to this as PROACTIVE... whatever .. it works!

Blueksighs
Last edited by blueskighs on Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:01 am

Cheeseboard!

I don't have much of a sweet tooth.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:44 am

drswife wrote:real chocolate crossaint w/ a big mug of cafe mocha...just like when I was in France...hmmmmmmm I think I know what I'm having this weekend! :)
Oh! A vanilla sugar crepe with cafe mocha or hot chocolate at one of my favorite little cafes.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:36 am

Black Chocolate or Liquorice or Fudge are my two favourite treats.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

jazzys mom

Post by jazzys mom » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:21 pm

I know what I'm gonna have sweet this weekend!

Last night we went out to dinner and hubby wanted to go to Baker's Square where their pies are to die for! I refused pie and it really wasn't so hard because I was full from the big sandwich and most of the fries I ate. I do love their coconut cream, custard and French silk pies though so think that's what I'll have. Maybe just a half slice though

Rilee

Post by Rilee » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:32 pm

My faves are:
Lindt Chocolates, or Harry and Davids truffles!!!
Edy's Creamery Brand Coney Island Waffle Cone ice cream,
Carrot cake with Cream Cheese frosting
my mom's Danish layer cake/or any of her cakes
my mom's chocolate chip/walnut cookies
Our bakery's kringle(not everyone knows of in Racine Wi.)

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:34 pm

I found this really simple recipe on cheesecake.com. I am going to make it for Mother's Day and I wanted to share.

Chocolate Lover's Cheesecake

Prep Time:
10 min
Total Time:
3 hr 50 min
Makes:
8 servings

2 pkg. (8 oz. each) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
4 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate, melted, slightly cooled
1 OREO Pie Crust (6 oz.)

PREHEAT oven to 325°F. Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs; mix just until blended. Stir in melted chocolate. Pour into crust.

BAKE 40 min. or until center is almost set; cool.

REFRIGERATE several hours or overnight. Store leftover cheesecake in refrigerator.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:09 pm

Girl Scout cookies. They've been sitting on my desk since Tuesday. With two teenaged boys at home, I knew if I took them home before Friday, I wouldn't get any.

Nossuzy

Post by Nossuzy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:40 pm

Mmmm, the cheesecake sounds great. And the brownies. I loooove cheesecake so I think I will try that this weekend.

I am making my favorite pineapple cake this weekend. it's really easy and everywhere i take it people always want the recipe. It's naturally lower in calories I think too.

Pineapple Cake

One box yellow cake mix
2 small boxes instant vanilla pudding
15 oz can crushed pineapple
Tub of cool whip.

Bake the cake according to directions. After it has cooled a bit, poke holes all over the top with a fork. Cook the pineapple on the stove for about 15 mins. Pour the pineapple over the cake. Make the pudding and pour over the pineapple. Finish with the Cool Whip on the top (whole tub). I then usually freeze it overnight. It tastes better this way for some reason. I take it out in the morning and let it thaw before eating.

It is nice and light and totally satisfies the sweet tooth...
"Whew, glad I knew about beets. They would have killed me for sure."

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:47 pm

Speaking of pineapple... Jammin' Jan published a link to a site on vegan cooking once, and I made a pineapple-upside-down cake from it that has become a family favorite. (Initially was made b/c I'd invited a vegan friend to lunch.)

Not sure I have the link, but I bet you could search for it on here.

TingTing

Post by TingTing » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:02 pm

Lately, for me, it's been ice cream! I bought a pint of Walgreen's caramel ice cream for the coming S days and boy, I can't wait to dig in!

Chocolate is also my favorite too, though I don't crave it as much as ice cream. I bought a big, thick 3 Musketeers bar and threw it into the back of the freezer so I won't be tempted on my N days. I'm going to have this chocolate during lunch tomorrow and then go out for a long walk.

The ice cream, I'll probably have at night in front of the TV because that's when I love ice cream the most! :lol:

silver

Post by silver » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:38 pm

ice cream... strawberry, raspberry or any other berry flavor. could be mixed with a bit of vanilla. oh, just thinking about it! i always have some in the freezer.

sweetsong32

Post by sweetsong32 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:24 pm

I just made a batch of double fudge brownies....and oh my...they were so yummy. I ate one after lunch. I plan on having another one tomorrow.
"Teaching that impacts is not head to head but heart to heart."

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:41 pm

They don't make my favorite sweet anymore: HEB market pecan pie ice cream -- just what it says. Crust bits, praline type bits and disgustingly wonderful praline/caramel sauce swirls in a vanilla praline base. So I'm going to have to make my own...vegan version. Soon.

f

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:13 am

I'm making lemon squares with raspberries. Yum!

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:04 am

After work today I picked up my 20 something daughter and we went to a wonderful French pastry shop. Bought 4 incredible pastries and have had maybe 3 bites of each-with a really good cup of coffee. Sure beats the heck out of diet ice cream. Oh, and those 12 or so bites totaled less than one entire pastry-and I'm so happily satisfied.

Resting52

apple

Post by apple » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:20 am

Some of my favourites:

- lavendar chocolates from the chocolate shop
- triple chocolate chip cookies from my local supermarket
- one of those fancy coffees with syrup etc.
- homemade still-warm brownies or almond cookies
- a selection of different cheeses
- bread with homemade garlic butter

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:52 pm

I don't have enough room in this forum to list
the hundreds of foods I want to eat right now, this very minute.

:oops: I think I'll go eat my breakfast now.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:46 pm

Wow, it's been great to read all about everyone's fav treats. I ended up having a single scoop of Chocolate Mousse Royale ice cream from Baskin Robbins on Saturday night. It was just what I wanted and sooooooooo yummy!!! :D

Didn't have anything really on sunday, so I guess I solved my own new delemma....just have what I want, when I want it...on S days of course :wink:

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:44 am

Organic Gal,

Sounds like you did great,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey