Reinhard's Rebels

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

DianeA2Z

Reinhard's Rebels

Post by DianeA2Z » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:28 am

Note to Reinhard's Rebels,

I read that using blue dishes helps a person eat less food. I have Blue Willow ware and another set of blue and white dishware...funny thing, eating off those blue and white dishes actually does have a positive effect...especially the Blue Willow because it has more blue in it. Just wondering if anyone else experimented with that theory.

What do you think? (March On! Reinhard's Rebels Rule) 8)

Diane
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!

Buffalo Gal

Post by Buffalo Gal » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:00 pm

Diane,

I have blue dishes! I am going to try using them tonight. My portions are still a bit large. Hey! Maybe the Rebels should wear blue. Somebody with imagination should come up with a motto for the Rebels.

Buffalo Gal
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:08 pm

I bought solid blue dishes years ago because I had read that very thing. Didn't stop me from eating more at all, but I did love the dishes :)

If it worked I don't think I would be here.
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

Buffalo Gal

Post by Buffalo Gal » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:24 pm

Hey! THis is a chick who tired posing like a cat while panting like a pregnant woman to lose weight. What's a blue dish :D

AnnaBanana

Post by AnnaBanana » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:26 pm

Hey can I be a Reinhard Rebel, too? I'm brand new.... only on day #5, but I'm LOVING this way of life. I'm a rebel by nature! :)
Laura Ann
SW: 282
CW: 173
GW: 150-185

Then the time came when the pain of staying a tight bud became greater than the risk it took to bloom.

Buffalo Gal

Post by Buffalo Gal » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:34 pm

We are all Reinhard's Rebels. I am on day 12 and responded to another Rebel who said she felt like she had just joined an army. So I decided to call us Reinhard's Rebels (hope he doesn't mind). Anyway...welcome! :D

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:49 pm

Good morning!

I had not heard of that. My dishes are white with blue trim. I used to use the luncheon size plates all the time because I'd heard that it makes it look like you have more food. But, I am using the same ones as the rest of my family now. If it's a meal that calls for the larger plates, I use those, sometimes we only need the luncheon plates. Keeping is simple...
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

Rilee

Desperate?

Post by Rilee » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:39 pm

Hay Buffalo Gal, you wouldn't be talking about Body Flex by chance? I cracked up when I saw your comment! I've done that one too. I still don't know if it does anything for you but ya know when you're desperate, you'll try anything right? LOL!!! I've been working on NOS for a few days again and am feeling much better about it these days. I've started and stopped a few times in past months but realize it's still the smartest thing to do. I've also found that the support from everyone's imput is a tremendous help. I' ve gotten so many great tips that have helped this time around. I'm not only a Rebel I'm a ReinFan!

GLENDA

REINHARD'S REBELS

Post by GLENDA » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:41 pm

I have been using regular sized plate lately. I am feeling fatter so I think I will start adhering to the rules even more. If I am having salad I use a seperate dish so the juices don't get on it-I'm not good at vertual plating/eyeballing the area. i think I'm deceiving myself. I tell myself if I have more veg I can do this & if I have more "fatting" regular food I will use a smaller plate & the one plate thing. I love having "special dishes" so I may go & buy myself a place-setting of the blue & white stuff. What do you all think about my "plate delemma" ? Anyone else run into this? More "diet head"? I am trying to get more veg & fruits in my meals-I'm happier & I think that is healthier. Also, I am not exercising right now-broken toe-& I think that is HUGE. I told my husband I am going to start riding my exercycle while I watch TV & I have an under desk one at work which I've never used! :lol: :lol: :lol: Feedback please. I weigh 240 approx. & started out at about 237-238. :(

jazzys mom

Post by jazzys mom » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:17 pm

I have my mom's antique Fiestaware that I use. Its in the original colors of solid color plates of yello, green, orange and blue. I have always like the blue plate better and give myslef that plate. Now I know why! :lol:

Jaymiz

Re: REINHARD'S REBELS

Post by Jaymiz » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:03 pm

GLENDA wrote:I have been using regular sized plate lately. I am feeling fatter so I think I will start adhering to the rules even more. If I am having salad I use a seperate dish so the juices don't get on it-I'm not good at vertual plating/eyeballing the area. i think I'm deceiving myself. I tell myself if I have more veg I can do this & if I have more "fatting" regular food I will use a smaller plate & the one plate thing....What do you all think about my "plate dilemma" ? Anyone else run into this? More "diet head"? I am trying to get more veg & fruits in my meals-I'm happier & I think that is healthier. Also, I am not exercising right now-broken toe-& I think that is HUGE....Feedback please.:(
Well, since you're not exercising, I can't suggest that the additional weight is from gaining muscle. But, IMHO, thinking of foods as "more or less fattening" could be diet thinking, right? Just think of food as "food". All of it's allowed (unless you're under doctor's orders about certain foods)... you just have to watch your portions. Am I wrong?

And, as far as veggies on the plate goes, I've read in tons of places that you should divide your plate (mentally) into 4 quarters... one quarter gets your protein (meat), one gets your starch (potatoes, rice, pasta), and the last two quarters (so a half) get your veggies (or fruit). I've tried to follow this, but don't see it helping much, as I still am a snacker, and have a sweet-tooth (( I just heard about NoS, so haven't started it yet )).

Hope that helps.

GLENDA

reinhards rebels

Post by GLENDA » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Thanks & welcome Jaymiz. You are right-fat head thinking!!!!! :lol:

tgp157

Re: Desperate?

Post by tgp157 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:55 pm

Rilee wrote:Hay Buffalo Gal, you wouldn't be talking about Body Flex by chance?
Or Oxycise??
Pam
A Success Story in the Making
NoS-ing since 6/1/09

droth

divided plates

Post by droth » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:59 pm

If you can find divided plates, even the paper ones, (I think it's Cornett) that have the 3 sections would help with portion control and food running together. I have plastic ones with lids that I use to take my lunch to work in and I just slide it in the mikey, it's real convenient and portions are controlled, lid won't fit if it's too full...LOL. Fill one section with protein, one with starch, and the larger one with vegetable and/or fruit.
Started No-S 04/07/08
Need to lose 80 lbs.

Buffalo Gal

Post by Buffalo Gal » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:03 pm

I don't feel so bad now that I know I am not the only one who knew about the breathing...posing thing. I am still not sure what to call it or how it ever made it's way onto TV.

Buffalo Gal

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:19 pm

Buffalo Gal wrote:I don't feel so bad now that I know I am not the only one who knew about the breathing...posing thing. I am still not sure what to call it or how it ever made it's way onto TV.

Buffalo Gal
Bodyflex works, well it did when I used it consistently and as instructed.
When I did the old version of it, which was out in 1999 for about 5 months consistently, I went down 10 inches from my waist.
Thing is, like any exercise, it only will work if you can maintain it.

So no, it won't work if you don't stick to it, and you really have to do it twice a day before your breakfast and dinner, and do it correctly.
And yes, it sounds very funny with all that explosive breathing, but it does work~

Its funny you bring it up as I have just started doing it again this month, and love it, tho, like I said, its the old version I got in 1999 which was a 20 or 30 dollar investment at that time.

Just find something you know you enjoy and stick with it!
Peace and Love

8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

wosnes

Re: REINHARD'S REBELS

Post by wosnes » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:34 pm

GLENDA wrote:I have been using regular sized plate lately. I am feeling fatter so I think I will start adhering to the rules even more. If I am having salad I use a seperate dish so the juices don't get on it-I'm not good at vertual plating/eyeballing the area. i think I'm deceiving myself. I tell myself if I have more veg I can do this & if I have more "fatting" regular food I will use a smaller plate & the one plate thing. I love having "special dishes" so I may go & buy myself a place-setting of the blue & white stuff. What do you all think about my "plate delemma" ? Anyone else run into this? More "diet head"? I am trying to get more veg & fruits in my meals-I'm happier & I think that is healthier. Also, I am not exercising right now-broken toe-& I think that is HUGE. I told my husband I am going to start riding my exercycle while I watch TV & I have an under desk one at work which I've never used! :lol: :lol: :lol: Feedback please. I weigh 240 approx. & started out at about 237-238. :(
There are times I use one plate; there are times I don't. I don't do virtual plating. If I use a another plate or a bowl, I just try to put a little less on my plate and I don't worry about it.

Life is too short to worry about it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

GLENDA

reinhard's rebels

Post by GLENDA » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:42 pm

wosnes-you are right! Too much thinky thinky! :lol: thanks!

TingTing

Post by TingTing » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:20 pm

If you can find divided plates, even the paper ones, (I think it's Cornett) that have the 3 sections would help with portion control and food running together. I have plastic ones with lids that I use to take my lunch to work in and I just slide it in the mikey, it's real convenient and portions are controlled, lid won't fit if it's too full...LOL. Fill one section with protein, one with starch, and the larger one with vegetable and/or fruit.
You know, for the life of me, I can't find those divided plates where I live or work! I don't think those divided plates are popular any more since everyone wants more food these days. When I was a child, my grandmother use to serve my food in a beautiful clear blue plate with 3 divisions. I wish I had that plate now.

Out of desperation, today I bought a stack of 100 paper plates from Duane Reade. I figured they were the appropriate size for a regular plate. I plan to use them at work and put my lunch on it and whatever else to make it my one-plate meal. I don't know if this will work, but I'll try! :)

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:31 pm

Body Flex - OMG!!! I totally forgot about that. I added to the post about the Silliest Diet you ever been on, but I bet we could also add the craziest equipment or techniques we have tried. I remember having these blue plastic pants that you wear while exercising and they were attached to the vacuum cleaner. Your butt and thighs got really sweaty and you ended up with a hickie on your hynie! And there was the Body Flex of course, and the many other odd ball things. Oh the $$ I have spent!!!
Dawn

jazzys mom

Post by jazzys mom » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:55 pm

I think its Chinet that makes divided plates but they are pretty big. Bigger than a regular dinner plate. My daughter uses them when she has parties.

Jazzys Mom

slickchic

Post by slickchic » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:35 pm

Dawn wrote:Body Flex - OMG!!! I totally forgot about that. I added to the post about the Silliest Diet you ever been on, but I bet we could also add the craziest equipment or techniques we have tried. I remember having these blue plastic pants that you wear while exercising and they were attached to the vacuum cleaner. Your butt and thighs got really sweaty and you ended up with a hickie on your hynie! And there was the Body Flex of course, and the many other odd ball things. Oh the $$ I have spent!!!

Yesterday I was looking at the shelf with all my different weightloss books, DVD's and around our exercise room at all the equipment I have bought, just knowing each one was the answer!! I know I have spent 1,000's over the years. What a waste when the answer is really so simple!! NoS!!!

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:41 pm

Ting Ting- I use a paper plate for my lunch at work too. The visual of it actually being on one plate is a pretty powerful thing when it comes to habit building. I get discombobulated when I have something like soup and have to virtual plate on a salad plate the rest of my meal. It still throws my hunger signals off.
Heather

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:14 am

Buffalo Gal wrote:We are all Reinhard's Rebels. I am on day 12 and responded to another Rebel who said she felt like she had just joined an army. So I decided to call us Reinhard's Rebels (hope he doesn't mind). Anyway...welcome! :D
ROFLMAO Buffalo Gal 'cause I'm the one you responded to! However, I must give credit where credit is due and YOU are the one who came up with the brilliant "Reinhard's Rebels." I sure hope he "weighs in" <get it???> on our analogy.

Wow, what an interesting discussion thread developed from my blue plate comment! I especially love all the exercise stories. Oh, and as for the blue plates....I bought those Blue Willow dishes about 10 years ago, but they were my "good" dishes and only got used at holidays or for bigger dinner parties. They were just stacked in my china hutch. Then I read the thing about blue dishes and I thought...well, that's cool (not even remembering I had blue dishes. When we were in the process of moving to San Diego and basically living in 2 places I went to Tuesday Morning one day and found this really pretty set of dishes that were dirt cheap and ohbytheway they were blue and white. (Again...with forgetting the Blue Willow. Hellooo, that's why they're called Blue Willow). Anyway, eventually, having stored a good half of all my dinnerware I thought, "why the heck am I saving these dishes? I don't even know anyone in San Diego yet, so we might as well use the dishes ourselves. It was only recently I had the blue plate epiphany.

Oh, and at lunch today, I used the luncheon sized plate! Yay me.

As long as I'm confessing: I remembered a tool that I've had for years and never used and I kind of found it when we moved. I have a blue and white speckled plate with a clear divided dish that fits inside of it. I got meal planning cards with the plate and you put a card underneath the clear plastic plate and then proceed to put the appropriate amounts of food into the sections. It's based on portion control and for the life of me I can't remember where I got it. And it's obvious that I haven't used the plate because, hello, I'm on No S. Duh, me! Well, I brought the plate and the discs out and tonight I will use it for the first time for dinner. You're supposed to complete your sections and then put the food on "one" plate to eat. I'll let you all know how it works.

Diane

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:21 am

Buffalo Gal wrote:Diane,

I have blue dishes! I am going to try using them tonight. My portions are still a bit large. Hey! Maybe the Rebels should wear blue. Somebody with imagination should come up with a motto for the Rebels.

Buffalo Gal
Good idea to come up with a motto. We should have a contest!

Also, you have no idea what I was imagining trying to figure out what the heck you were talkin' about with the panting pregnant cat thing. Wooo, what an image; glad to know now it was an "exercise". I thought you were having a kinky memory moment or something. :D

Diane

droth

Post by droth » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:59 pm

Some of the divided plates are bigger, but there are smaller ones too, the colored ones that are plastic are the same size as a regular dinner plate. I found divided dinner plates at the dollor tree that have lids. There is also a divided plate devised by a diet group that has sections labeled for protein, starch, fat, etc, and they come with a lid. I find them to be too expensive for me, but anyone else could order them.
Started No-S 04/07/08
Need to lose 80 lbs.

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:30 pm

Forgot to report in to y'all that the divided plate I found worked out very well! I'm gonna be using it on a regular basis. Finally! Using a weight control tool that I've spent money on; what a concept!! :roll:

Diane

Buffalo Gal

Post by Buffalo Gal » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:06 pm

I'm going to purchase a divided plate for dinner. I think it will help me control the potato/french frie/rice portion. You would not believe how many fries you can pile onto eachother before they fall over. Mashed potatoes too :P

sassy

Post by sassy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:47 pm

I buy plastic, divided plates for my kids to eat on. I get them at WalMart usually on an aisle that they have all of the plastic dishes for summer. Usually only a couple of bucks for several.

Beckycan

Post by Beckycan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:47 pm

I bought some solid blue corelle luncheon plates on clearance cause they coordinate with the blue trim on my regular corelle stuff. (I use it everyday.) I've been using the luncheon plates to force myself into smaller servings. Great to know that they might be curbing my appetite by their color!

Becky
SW 295
CW 292
GW 175

A turtle travels only when he sticks his neck out. Korean Proverb

chris2365

Smalll blue plates

Post by chris2365 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:38 pm

I've lost 144.5 pounds over the last two years and one of the key things I did was to switch all of my meals to salad plates (8" or a bit smaller). This Christmas I got my wishlist plates, the Sanga Nova Blue plates, 7" (Amazon, $15 for 4). Yes, blue.

I use regular dinner size plates only when we entertain a few times year. Even hubby uses salad plates for all meals!

Beckycan

Re: Smalll blue plates

Post by Beckycan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:35 am

chris2365 wrote:I've lost 144.5 pounds over the last two years...
:mrgreen: You go girl! I hope someday to say the same thing!

Becky
SW 295
CW 292
GW 175

A turtle travels only when he sticks his neck out. Korean Proverb