Not restricted enough....

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Terpnessa

Not restricted enough....

Post by Terpnessa » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:50 pm

Has anyone felt this diet is NOT restricted enough to lose weight? Has anyone been on this new habit for a month or over and NOT lost any weight? Any input would help. I read where someone lost 1 pound a month.....

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:13 pm

Well, it depends on a lot of factors, like how much you have to lose to begin with, how tight your compliance is, and sheer luck.

As a rough rule of thumb, Dr. Brian Wansink (author of Mindless Eating) gives half a pound a week as a sustainable rate of weight loss. Obviously there will be quite a bit of variation from individual to individual, but I think it's still a useful number because it emphasizes how slow this process usually is -- and how insane you will make yourself trying to detect it on a household scale. Half a pound a week is 2 pounds a month. That's well within the margin of error for a typical household scale or actual daily weight fluctuation -- so even if you are succeeding, losing weight according at this expected and desirable rate, it might be invisible to you, even after a solid month.

I know this can be frustrating -- but if you want a moderate, sustainable solution, slow is part of the deal. I think most people on no-s realize that they're eating less (because excess is now obvious) and that this is bound to result in weight loss, and this is enough to assuage their doubts about its efficacy. Plus they're happy because they no longer make themselves crazy about food and can enjoy it again. But if this isn't convincing/pleasant enough for you, I'd suggest weighing yourself very methodically and tracking the moving average in excel or some other program. That way individual reads won't make you lose your composure, and you should see a clear (if small) downward trend (assuming you actually have weight to lose). Rose posted a very compelling screenshot of her excel chart a while ago, I'll see if I can dig it up. There's definitely a psychological risk every time you step on a scale -- but for some people, if it's done methodically like this -- the risk can be managed and is worth the payout in evidence of progress.

Maybe I can add some kind of weight tracking feature to the habitcal... though I hate to encourage obsessing over results. The thing is, if you're going to obsess, this is the best way to do it...

Reinhard

Buffalo Gal

Post by Buffalo Gal » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:34 pm

OMG! I am so glad I read this. I have had an almost uncontrolable urge to step on a scale that is probably 15 years old.

I feel better. My pants don't cut me off at the waist. I have more energy and NO CRAVINGS! This in day 12 for me...old habits die hard!

That's it ... I am throwing the scale away today!

Thanks Reinhard!

Buffalo Gal
(A happy member and founder of the Reinhard's Rebels)
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:45 pm

Those who have been on restrictive diets for a long period of time will feel like there aren't enough restrictions to lose weight. We've been programmed that way by the people who profit off these diets. However if they did work, and kept working, we wouldn't still need to lose weight. We come to No S for a reason. We come to No S because too many restrictions doesn't work in the long run but moderation does.

I have a naturally skinny co worker. When she put on excess weight at college she didn't go on a diet. She stopped eating the cookies at work. Now she is trim again. My great grandmother uses the same approach and believe me, despite her age she is one hot mama!
Heather

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:02 pm

The problem with more restrictive diets is that they're not sustainable. As soon as you go back to eating more "normally", the weight returns. This may not lead to quick weight loss, but it's sustainable.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

carla70

Post by carla70 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:05 pm

I am glad I read this post today also, I am such a slave to the scale.. i weigh almost daily. Sometimes the number on the scale dictates how I feel that day. That shouldn't be!!!

I do have an "official" weigh in day of wednesdays.. but seem to do it more on a daily basis.

Reading this I have this "lightbulb" moment that the scale has been ruling me. I think it may be time to get rid of or hide the scale for awhile.

tgp157

Post by tgp157 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:19 pm

I haven't weighted & don't plan to. I'm measuring my success by "Days on Habit". Today is my 15th DOH. I know if I work at making each day a successful DOH, the weight loss will follow. It may be slow but it will be lasting. Just before I read the "No S Diet" I read "The Overfed Head". The latter focuses on waiting until hungry & stopping when full. I decided to go w/the No S Diet because waiting until hungry isn't always convenient for me but
No S-ing is. In both books, the authors lost more weight than their original goals b/c they changed their WOE & their bodies took them to their natural ideal weight.

So, that is what I am doing. I'm going to follow this WOE, exercise & let my body take care of the rest. I will judge my success on the number of DOH I accumulate. Even if it takes two years or more to get where I need to be, it is so freeing to be out of bondage to food. Praise The Lord!!!!!

Today, I am wearing jeans that I'd stopped wearing b/c they'd gotten a bit snug. I'm still in the same size as but everything is getting looser after only two weeks. I think 15 days on habit & looser clothes is proof is success. Another thing, this is the longest I've stuck with a plan in years. I am very pleased with this new way of living. :P
Pam
A Success Story in the Making
NoS-ing since 6/1/09

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:33 pm

So glad I read this forum! I too have been a slave to the scale and had just said in another post that I was going to put it in the closet so it couldn't continually beckon to me!
I don't want an object or a diet to control me any longer. I don't care, either, if it takes 2 years or more to get back to what my body says I should weigh. Yo-yo dieting has caused me enough grief and that isn't necessary anymore. I am so happy with the No S plan and this first week on it has been very liberating and I like that feeling! :) So glad WW did that article on Reinhard's plan!!! :D :D :D Life is once again beautiful.

AnnaBanana

Post by AnnaBanana » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:33 pm

I have between 60-85 lbs to lose depending on how low my body will allow me to go. I'll be 50 in June and I'm in perimenopausal and I have PCOS. Weight loss is hard for me. But finally I'm okay with that.

Three years ago my doctor gave me a goal to lose 10 lbs from June to December and relax during the holidays. Then to make a goal of losing 25 lbs the following year. I was horrified. At the time I had 100 lbs to lose. I thought I knew better. There was no way I could handle losing that slow. I'd show her how good I was at getting weight off.

As a result I did not follow her moderation advice. Instead I went on every diet known to man over the next year. She was right, at the end of the year I came back heavier than when I started.

If I just tried her moderation rules I would be at goal weight or close to it.

What did I learn? That diets don't work. Deprivation doesn't work. It only set me up for failure over and over again. And with each failure I felt worse and worse.

I have only been NOSing 5 days now and my improvement in mood and psyche is unbelievable. I am making friends with food. It's not the enemy. I'm taking responsibility for the weight I am. It wasn't carbs. It wasn't fat grams, etc. It was simply I was eating too much.

So maybe I'll be 51 when the weight is off, or maybe I'll be 53-54 before all the weight is off. But what I've gained in the meantime I know will be invaluable. Good habits. Peace of mind. Guidelines I can live with forever.

I already feel more free to do the things I've wanted to do for so long but put off until I got my weight under control. I am living my life NOW. Not waiting any longer.
Laura Ann
SW: 282
CW: 173
GW: 150-185

Then the time came when the pain of staying a tight bud became greater than the risk it took to bloom.

tgp157

Post by tgp157 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:52 pm

LauraAnn wrote:I already feel more free to do the things I've wanted to do for so long but put off until I got my weight under control. I am living my life NOW. Not waiting any longer.
Amen!!
Pam
A Success Story in the Making
NoS-ing since 6/1/09

Bumpkyns

Post by Bumpkyns » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:30 pm

tgp157 wrote:
LauraAnn wrote:I already feel more free to do the things I've wanted to do for so long but put off until I got my weight under control. I am living my life NOW. Not waiting any longer.
Amen!!
DOUBLE AMEN!! The pattern I'm seeing is that as soon as the scale shows a pound or 2 down, I lose control again thinking it's a ticket to freedom (the wrong kind). So maybe for once if I let that scale go, and go by how I feel, well, you get the picture. But this thing called life? I've wasted TOOOOOO MANY YEARS not living it, all because of body image. I'm taking it back.
Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light!

Buffalo Gal

Post by Buffalo Gal » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:10 pm

Like I said I am throwing the scale away today (now if I could dispose of my head that easily)!

Hang in there guys!

This is the most sensible plan I have ever had the good luck to find. When I read the book I felt like it was written just for me. It answered all of my questions and put to rest alot of my doubts.

Buffalo Gal
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:24 pm

Just talked to my doctor's nurse about some test results and told her what I was doing and she said it sounded great! So that made me feel good, of course. Also told her I wasn't weighing weekly so didn't know how much weight, if any, that I had lost. Have to go in to them in 6 weeks to repeat some of the tests so just might wait until then to do a weight check...with clothes on... :? Not my normal way to do it, of c
ourse! :) But this will free me from using MY scale which is a good thing.
It is lunch time and I am hungry so I am going to eat! What a wonderful feeling to actually be hungry and know that I can eat whatever!!!!

cornelia

my "scale"

Post by cornelia » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:07 pm

I learned years ago, that the scale is not my friend. I have only been no- sing for a few days, but I have clothes that already feel better and my rings are spinning around on my fingers. I know if I would step on a scale, it wouldn't have budged and I would be discouraged. I go by what I see in the mirror and then I have another method that works for me. I find a pair of slacks that is just a little bit too tight now, but fit last year. I lay them on a chair in my dressing room and once a week I will try those slacks on. When I can wear them in comfort, I select another item that I want to be able to wear and so on. That's my scale. For some reason waiting for the slacks to fit is not as hard as waiting for the scale to move.

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:15 pm

Cornelia, I love your idea of the pants! Will be taking out a pair today and laying them in the bedroom. The scale is gone!! Thank you for the input!!! :D

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:36 pm

OMG :!: They actually buttoned :!: :D WaHoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Next pair!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:23 am

This is an interesting thread... my pattern for years has been to eat restrictively in some fashion or form and then go through a binging cycle. Inevitably I would lose weight along with my sanity in the restrictive cycle... funny thing is whenever I went through the binging cycle I gained back all my weight but not all of my sanity .......HAHAHAHHAHA

Anyway, for me this is about stopping the pendulum and finally regaining my sanity. I am 45 and willing to let my body fall where it may ...
This peace of mind is worth it!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Terpnessa

huh??

Post by Terpnessa » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:34 pm

Somehow my post turened into "slave to the scale" when it was a post "not resticted enough" I only weigh myself weekly. I understand about how weight loss is supposed to be very slow when you are close to your goal weight. I was commenting that if i do not lose not even 1 pound in a month then it IS not resticted enough for ME. Sorry, but the QOD diet is the best. I wouldn't be suprised if now everyone researched that....

Bumpkyns

Post by Bumpkyns » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:44 pm

It may have ultimately turned into a scale thread, as many of these threads tend to spinoff into a little bit different direction as one thing leads to another... but for the most part I see nothing on here but many people trying to help you maybe see this from a different perspective, particularly Reinhard. I think he was exceptionally kind and word careful considering what all he's invested into this site for no profit whatsoever... Only you can decide the restriction issues for yourself Terp as I'm sure you know.

If you don't think this is right for you in spite of its logic and you want more results a whole lot quicker, then you certainly do need to go continue searching for whatever you think is best for your body. This obviously works for a lot of people, depending on what you want, how fast you want it, and whether you want something you can sustain for life or a quick fix. You won't know how anything works til you give it a fair shot as I'm sure you know that too.

I think for myself (and probably others on here too) it just seemed TOO simple at first, like too easy to be possible. It takes a bit of time to soak in for some of us if for no other reason because we've spent years being body image/ bad food/good food obsessed, but once it did... wow! The sense of freedom and focusing my energies into other areas of my life that have fallen by the wayside because of food obsession... is just overwhelming.
Last edited by Bumpkyns on Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terpnessa

point taken

Post by Terpnessa » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:46 pm

I whole heartedly agree. No disprespect intended to no S....

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:51 pm

Well, if you want faster weight loss, you eat more of the less calorie dense foods. What you eat on No-S is up to you!

The great thing about No-S is that it's not a restricted diet that no one can can or wants to do indefinitely. It's realistic. It's simple, sane and sustainable. The habits are similar to those practiced in the past here in the U.S. and how French women stay slim! The day you start, you are not only doing what it will take to lose weight, but also what it will take to maintain that weight loss. Nothing changes.

You have to remember that people are different and lose weight at different rates. I have two friends who ate diets of vegetables, fruits, and beans with a few grains. Both stayed on this for 6-8 weeks. The creator of this plan said you will lose up to 24 pounds in that amount of time. With that diet plus increased exercise, neither of my friends lost more than 2 pounds.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jesseco

Post by Jesseco » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:03 pm

Terpnessa, maybe you should try the other diet if losing quickly is important to you and then come back to this one for maintenance. I had just lost 5 pounds before discovering NoS and was very pleased!

I just looked up the diet you mentioned. I was on one similar to that (it helped me lose that 5 pounds) and I hated it, but did lose weight quickly. Also, it warns that if you have a tendency to an eating disorder (and I do) not to do it.

I've been on this diet a month and have been stable, but I really don't need to lose weight. However, I would still like to lose another 3-5 pounds.

I've realized that I must be careful on my S days or I will fall into my eating disorder. And I've been eating a little less healthfully on this diet on the N days, just because I can! I may rethink that, too.

But overall, just cutting out snacks for me has done wonders for my weight maintenance. So I love the freedom and flexibility and overall commonsense of this plan. Like many others have said, it has ideas that I've been discovering gradually (but not known how to carry out), and just the way that Reinhard put it together is what made the final "click" for me.

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:34 pm

If you really feel that you want to lose weight more quickly, then you should look elsewhere. I will tell you from personal experience that added restrictions cause No S not to work. If you want to do QOD, then go ahead, no one here will stop you.

I do ask though that you look at your expectations and ultimate goals. You have stated your expectations are quick weight loss. What is your ultimate goal? To stay on a diet long term? To go on and off diets as your weight changes over the years? To look at food as input/output in nature? What about your image of your body and your relationship to it? How does quick weight loss foster healthy self image and a healthy body? Will the rate of weight loss you are looking for have any negative health effects in the short term? In the long term?

Our bodies have a wisdom that our brains do not. When we treat them right they are created to find equilibrium naturally. Part of that equallibrium is what weight is right for that body in that stage of life with that lifestyle. When we allow are brains, poisoned by the media and diet industry, to override what our bodies truly know we can't reach equalibrium and we end up on the endless diet rollercoaster. Do your expectations and goals help you reach true equilibrium or do they keep you on that rollercoaster?
Heather

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:41 pm

It is true that No-S will work better for people with a lot to lose, better for people with high metabolisms (for example, guys) and better for people who exercise.

As an older female with little to lose whose metabolism has definitely slowed, I combine No-S with generally healthful food choices (most of the time). If I followed the rules to the letter, but ate total junk, I doubt I'd lose. It's possible I'd even gain, if I didn't exercise.

With that said, I can maintain this indefinitely and enjoy my life. My weight may not change. (I'm at a healthy BMI, but would like to lose a few "vanity pounds.") However, that's fine - because on other diets/plans, it kept going UP.

Maintenance at a healthy weight is good. Maintenance with peace of mind and actual enjoyment of food ROCKS.

If this is not for you, that's fine. I wouldn't touch the QOD diet with a 10-foot pole, but to each his/her own.

Bumpkyns

Post by Bumpkyns » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:44 pm

I've never even heard of the QOD diet and I thot for SURE I'd heard of everything. I thot I'd TRIED everything. Have I been under a rock or something? WAIT... do NOT answer that. :)

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:09 pm

My goodness ... the QOD diet has brought back to memory another diet I tried ... Jay Robb's Fat Burnig Diet .. you rotate la day of locarb and a day of lofat if I remember correctly ... I thought it sounded great ... no sniggers from the back row please! :lol: Then I did it and it was AWFUL... another form of food prison,

there was also the Jersulalem Diet where you eat fruits veggies nuts seeds one day and then you ate what you wanted on others. You weighed yourself daily and if you weren't losing one pound a week you added more fruit veggie nuts days .. KIND OF DROVE ME NUTS!HAHHAHAHAH AND had the lovely side benefit of gettiing me reattached to the scale!

anyway these diets drove me CRAZY! This is why I love NO S there is a hugely natural rhythm to it. A natural rhythm. This is why I am so enthusiastic about it and pretty certain my "diet" adventures will end here,

Blueskighs

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:36 pm

Bumpkyns wrote:I've never even heard of the QOD diet and I thot for SURE I'd heard of everything. I thot I'd TRIED everything. Have I been under a rock or something? WAIT... do NOT answer that. :)
I had to google it.

According to the source I found, it's essentially a day of almost-fasting alternating with a day relatively normal eating. There's a long list of conditions it's not appropriate for - pregnancy, diabetes, eating disorders, high blood pressure.... etc. In addition, it's only recommended for people with less than 25 lbs to lose. Which is just as well, because I suspect long-term use would be both difficult to manage and unhealthy if accomplished.

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:37 pm

It's a system, not a diet, but everything must be taken into account if weight loss is to occur. Like for me, a 53 y/o menopausal lady with crappy metabolism to begin with, I have to count every calorie and plan every meal. (I bet French women do the same, they just don't admit it. :) ) My goal is 1/2-1 pound a week and with rigid attention I seem to be keeping to that goal. The system is there to make sure you don't binge and are mindful of the amount of calories your body gets to eat.

Just my 0.02.
f

joasia

Post by joasia » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:06 pm

I have said it before and I will say it again. If you have 100 pounds to lose, it comes off fast at the beginning. If you have 10 pounds to lose, a LOT slower to come off. And if you have 5 pounds to lose, well then count your blessings. You are correct, this is not that restrictive. Have you been on restrictive diets? Oh yes they work very well, I have done weight watchers and jenny craig. But they make you tenacious of life. You feel hungry all the time and much of your life is spent obsessing about food, calories, weighing, measuring, etc. Not to mention avoiding restaurants and social settings. And you can't wait until the diet is over. Then what? You put some, all, or more of the weight back on.

So I guess it boils down to how much of a pig are you? If you are 100 pounds over weight, probably a fairly big pig and 3 plates a day will seem very restrictive. If you have 20 pounds to lose you may lose 1 pound a month or just maintain. I have been in both places. Exercise helps, find something you love or at least can stand. Don't walk on a treadmill, if you hate it like I do, walk the dog or the kids. But you have got to move. If you you are totally sedentary, it will take FOREVER to lose weight. When I was very big, I would walk museums, that way I was walking and still enjoying myself. The other question is, how small are you trying to be? You have to find a weight that is doable. If you are forcing the last 5-10 pounds off and your body just isn't built to be that small, you will have to starve yourself to maintain that. Maybe a few more pounds are more sustainable. Because lets face it, being a size 0 is either natural in the sense you are a very moderate person or you just don't like food that much; or your eating very little and spending 4 hours in the gym daily. Are you willing to commit to the latter? I think 99% of us are not.

I lost 50 pounds of weight watchers fairly easily. That is when stuff got really slow and difficult, the next 50 pounds came off like a snail. And I had to lower my calories to a constant hunger level.

I don't know if I helped your question at all. I guess it is our cross to bear, us not naturally moderate people.

joanna
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

joasia

Post by joasia » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:14 pm

P.S. I know men lose faster than women because they have more muscle mass. I have read a lot about weight lifting helping you lose faster. Hence a weight lifting regiment or shovelglove via reinhard.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

joasia

Post by joasia » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:17 pm

P.P.S. Age is a big factor I think. I did weight watchers with my mom. I was 27 and she was 53. I lost an average of 3 pounds a week on the program. She lost 1/2 to 1.5 pound a week. We weighed the same at the start. We ate the same and moved the same.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:19 pm

If you lift REAL heavy, it does put on muscle mass. Muscle is metabolically active, so the more muscle you have, the more calories you need to eat to maintain weight.

Thing is, it's not magic. A beginner female might put on as many as eight or nine pounds of muscle in a year if she's REALLY serious about it.

It's very hard to put on muscle and lose weight at the same time, though. What is much more common, but still pretty cool, is that if you're quite heavy, you probably already have a lot of muscle. If you lift while you're taking off fat, you keep that muscle. The problem with yo-yo dieting is that you lose a little muscle on a diet if you do no resistance training. This means your caloric needs to maintain go down and down and down.

No-Sing, doing Shovelglove and Urban Ranger is actually a pretty powerful combination to deal with all of these issues.

palomayombe

Post by palomayombe » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:42 pm

.............]
Last edited by palomayombe on Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:13 pm

mlczar
Did you really mean to call people who have 100 pounds to lose, a pig or did I misunderstand something?

Noturningback

Post by Noturningback » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:18 pm

milczar wrote:....

So I guess it boils down to how much of a pig are you? If you are 100 pounds over weight, probably a fairly big pig and 3 plates a day will seem very restrictive. ........
joanna

I take it you were a poet in your former life?

Bumpkyns

Post by Bumpkyns » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:41 pm

I was wondering the same thing Lilly... :?: if we're correct... how disturbing. If we're wrong... well I just hope we are.

Anyway... I also did the Jerusalem and the Jay Robb ALL FRUIT diets... Sweet Jesus I thot I'd die! The J diet lasted a week, maybe it was 2... the fruit thing? Not ONE DAY! I don't consider NoS a diet anymore... I consider it a way of life.

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:17 pm

IMHO: Bottom line, don't set yourself up for failure. The body sees restrictive as metabolic starvation. Be realistic in your long-term goals. It is possible that you are not meant to be as thin as you were "back when". Be realistic in recognizing that as you age your body's requirements for calories change. You need to accept that you may have to eat less and/or move more. Your calorie requirements differ according to your sex. Men have the advantage here. Don't believe in the "Hollywood" standard. I used to live about 50 miles north of LA. There are thousands of women 5' 1" tall, with long blonde hair and various "enhancements". Most of them do not work in the entertainment industry. Sad to say, they all look like clones. If this is what you aspire to, then by all means work toward your goal. Personally, I'm just gonna take what I was given and use natural means of healthy eating and exercise to make the best "me" I can be. I'm 5' 10" and have a fairly large frame. For me at, at that height 140 pounds was very thin. I look back at that "me" and am sad that I saw the 140 pound "me" as a fat young woman. Body image can distort your life and I'm here as proof.

Given my genetic background/heritage I will never: have naturally blonde hair (just give me the dye bottle), be 5' 2" (unless part of my legs are amputated), blue eyes (unless I get tinted contacts), or smaller bones (maybe less dense bones, but I take supplements for that). I'll also never be 25 again...wouldn't want to be. For so many years I yearned to be something that could never be. How sad for me to have lost those years, because those years I will never get back. My bad. I would be very sad to see someone else make the same mistakes I made. I always learn from my mistakes, only sometimes I don't learn soon enough!

I've got No S now; there's time for me. :D

P.S. My opinion comes from a place of love, and it is not my wish to insult anyone who may read what I post.
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!

Tulsa

Post by Tulsa » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:49 pm

Another thing to consider about losing is if you are working out like lifting weights or some other strength building exercise, you could be adding muscle which is more dense than fat. To the naked eye, you might not look like you're making progress and you may weigh the same or even more, but if you are eating good and exercising, something good is bound to happen. Just have patience. If you're doing the right things, results will come. It may be slow but it will happen.

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:59 pm

I, too, had to look up QOD. Is it a coincidence that the D stands for Die? Quague Other DIE . . . Yes, I would want to die if I had to do that! But why would you put yourself through that?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:15 am

QOD is an abbreviation for every other day from Latin. It's a medical term.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:54 am

During my lifetime of dieting, I've done many different kinds of diets.Image

During my past two years in maintenance,
I've had lots of experience with alternate day diets like QOD and JUDDD.
These two diets are very similiar in that they both consist of days of around 300 to 500 calories --

The low-cal days consist of:
mostly protein powder formula, egg whites, or a bit of lean fish or chicken
with a few leafy veggies.
QOD also includes a glass of tomato juice or v-8.

The higher cal days are supposed to be one's normal calorie burn rate.
is supposed to be a day when you eat what you want,
without restriction as long as you don't overeat, or stuff yourself,
This higher calorie day seems similiar to days beginning with S.
QOD and JUDDD are very similiar,
except Dr. Daugirdas of QOD says it should only be done for short periods of time, and
Dr. Johnson of JUDDD says it should be done for a lifetime.
Both doctors say they, personally did the diet, and it worked for them.

Here's the thing..........Image

Every diet, including No S, involves some sort of structuring of food intake.
The structure can be counting calories, eating or not eating specific foods;
eating only specific amounts;
eating or not eating at specific times; or
adding behaviors to or taking behaviors away from the eating process.

Even the British hynotherapist, Paul McKenna's 4 Golden Rules:
"eat when you're hungry,
eat what you want,
eat consciously, and
when you think you're full stop"
is a STRUCTURE around eating.

The internet and book world is full of different food structures that have worked for different people.
Any structure around eating, i.e. diet, will work in that:
Anyone will lose weight on whatever diet they choose to follow
as long as it results in reducing total calorie intake.

The No S Diet is the food structure that worked for Reinhard Engels,
and I love his common-sense attitude.
Will it work for me?
Of course,....
If I can follow the Structure in a way that results in reducing my total calorie intake.

Placing one's food intake inside a Structure
makes being outside the Structure visable,
which helps one define and avoid emotional eating.

For example, on a No S, 3 meal a day plan.
. . . . . . . . "Is it mealtime". . . . . . . . ..
If the answer is "no", probably the urge to eat is emotional,
and, by following the Structure...
....waiting to eat until mealtime, and
....eating one plate of no S food
one can avoid a lot of emotional eating.

My problem is similiar to that of many people here.
I have a great big baby inside me Image
(the inner-child, I'm NOT pregnant)
that wants to eat whatever she wants, whenever she wants.
Any Structure that interferes with those desires becomes a "restriction",
which is unwelcome to the baby.
My job, as the adult caretaker of that baby, is to care for that inner baby,
providing both comfort and protection....
I wouldn't let a baby play with a shiny, sharp knife no matter how much she wanted to.
I've a similiar duty to keep that baby healthy around food.
It's a difficult job.
My baby basically doesn't like any kind of Structure,
because they all interfere with her basic desire to eat everything all the time.

Is the No S plan a Structure the baby and I can live with?
I don't know, but finding out is worth the effort.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:58 am

Would love to take Reinhard up on that suggestion of adding a weight tracker to HabitCal. That way we could weigh or not and have a place to post it that only we can see. I would love that! When ever I think I want to write my weights down somewhere, then I get paranoid that someone-like my dear husband, will find it.

Oh, and that QOD diet sounds like more of the scary stuff that I'm escaping. I haven't lost weight yet either, but I think it is because I've overloaded my plates in fear that I wouldn't make it to my next meal. Now that my appetite is calming down, along with my fears, I'm downsizing my meals. AND what a difference this Saturday has been compared to last Saturday. I could "legally" be stuffing my face right now instead of typing. Instead, I'm just enjoying my freedom to choose to not overeat! Hallelujah!

Resting52

joasia

Post by joasia » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:48 am

Yes, I called people that need to lose 100 pounds a "pig". I need to lose 100 pounds, and I didn't get this way without stuffing myself silly. I am OBESE and I am cutting my life short. Why must we tiptoe around reality. Let's take some responsibility for our gross gluttony. You missed the whole point of my post: People who have a lot to lose will lose faster at the beginning. We have become so PC that everything offends people.

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:57 pm

Human beings regardless of their weight are human beings. Why do you feel you must resort to name calling? I think a point can be made without calling a human being a pig.

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:48 pm

I know I don't "tiptoe around reality" and I don't refer to people I know who are 100 pounds overweight as "pigs". Some of the people I love the most in this world are obese and are far from "pigs".
Also, if you are going to look at overeating as "gluttony", you should "hate the sin and not the sinner".
People have enough shame and humiliation about their weight to begin with. They don't need to come to a weight loss board to be referred to as swine.
Where is the support and encouragement in that?
If that is how you really feel about yourself, I suggest trying to stop the negative self talk. It is not healthy to call yourself a "pig" regardless of how much weight one has to lose.

Bumpkyns

Post by Bumpkyns » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:49 pm

I hate PC stuff as much as the next pig... but being obese doesn't equate with being a pig, not in everyone's case anyway.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:00 pm

re: descriptive adjectives of overeating.

I say,
Let's all get over it.

It's just a matter of sematics.
Here on the forum, we are a diverse group.
Each of us has our own values, our own ideas of "political correctness".
I feel that anyone should be able to describe his or her own eating behavior in whatever terms they wish.
I'm an adult, and if someone's comment about their own condition triggers one of my negative memories,
or violates my own sense of political correctness,
it's up to me to rise above that and exercise tolerance of others.

Let's support and encourage each other the best we can,
and accept the encouragement and support of others....
even if the words aren't "framed" exactly as we wish.

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:09 pm

Bright we aren't arguing semantics here. She wasn't just referring to herself in the pen. I quote, "Yes, I called people that need to lose 100 pounds a pig." It IS adult to refuse to condone or accept having someone "slaughter" another human being. This board is either about support or it isn't.

Tulsa

Post by Tulsa » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:12 pm

BrightAngel wrote: re: descriptive adjectives of overeating.

I say,
Let's all get over it.

It's just a matter of sematics.
Here on the forum, we are a diverse group.
Each of us has our own values, our own ideas of "political correctness".
I feel that anyone should be able to describe his or her own eating behavior in whatever terms they wish.
I'm an adult, and if someone's comment about their own condition triggers one of my negative memories,
or violates my own sense of political correctness,
it's up to me to rise above that and exercise tolerance of others.

Let's support and encourage each other the best we can,
and accept the encouragement and support of others....
even if the words aren't "framed" exactly as we wish.
Good sentiment BrightAngel. People take offense way to easy nowadays. Sometimes there could be good reason to but often it's minor piddly stuff. Whether this "offense" is minor or major, I guess that's an individual value judgment but it's not accomplishing anything by getting upset over it. Rise above it like she said and get on with life. There are more important things out there than the way someone else describes his or her eating patterns like concentrating on and executing your own plan for fitness and weight loss.

Noturningback

Post by Noturningback » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:41 pm

milczar wrote:Yes, I called people that need to lose 100 pounds a "pig". I need to lose 100 pounds, and I didn't get this way without stuffing myself silly. I am OBESE and I am cutting my life short. Why must we tiptoe around reality. Let's take some responsibility for our gross gluttony. You missed the whole point of my post: People who have a lot to lose will lose faster at the beginning. We have become so PC that everything offends people.
I didn't see this as PC or hateful to others but, rather self loathing or a lack of self esteem. I see you as a gift to the world and not a "pig".

But hey - that is me.

Hugs to all,
~Danielle

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:26 pm

Let's not get mean and nasty here, please! I don't care if you are 5 lbs over what you want to weigh or 100 lbs over what you want to weigh...just let's not call names. We have all called ourselves names privately, but let us not group condemn people because of weight issues. Then we defeat the purpose of these forums and of this plan. We are all good people at heart...let's always remember that and deal with each other compassionately.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:28 pm

So I guess it boils down to how much of a pig are you?

the first time I went to visit my husband's family, his sister-in-law called me a pig in front of everyone. It wasn't about my size at the time but because my plate of Thanksgiving Dinner probably looked more like a pig trough than something fit for human consumption.

GEEZ I was just trying to be FRIENDLY.... you know ... eat all the special crap they made ... being an ex-chubbette you can JUST IMAGINE that that particular verbal slight was one I have not never forgotten or forgiven ...

Do you think it is a coincidence that I don't eat A BITE whenever we go to her house now??????????????????? hmmmmmmmmmm ...

Oh well, I CAN call myself a pig all I want and I have in the privacy of my own home ...
but the rest of you on notice .... NOTHING about my mother OR my pigginess....

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Blueskighs

Bumpkyns

Post by Bumpkyns » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:11 pm

blueskighs wrote:
So I guess it boils down to how much of a pig are you?

NOTHING about my mother OR my pigginess....

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Blueskighs
I KNOW that's right blue... as my student's say... "don't be talkin bout my MAMA" :lol:

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:46 pm

Thank you Rheba.
All I was asking was that we not have to be subjected to name calling. I agree that if someone wants to self-flagellate that is their personal preference.

chris2365

Post by chris2365 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:00 pm

So true. I am active on sparkpeople.com where people are also trying to lose weight (on many different methods, including NoS). When I see user IDs such as BIGFATMAMA or FATPIG43 or whatever, it makes me kind of sad.

Yes, obviously there are issues. But when I weighed 327 I was still a fabulous, wonderful woman and although I might say I was fat (because, yes, I was), I never called myself negative names. When we talk to ourselves in mean, disrespectful ways, I just don't think that inspires us to greatness. You have to feel you're worthy to treat yourself well, to take the time to exercise, eat quality, delicious, healthy food, to get strong, and get healthy.

And now that I weigh 144 pounds less than when I started, I'm not a better quality person. I am not MORE worthy of kindness from others or myself. I'm still the same person, I just wear smaller clothes and have a longer anticipated lifespan!

joasia

Post by joasia » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:29 pm

Lilly,

I never said human beings are not human beings or shouldn't be treated with respect. I am sorry you are so sensitive toward a single word. If you read my post carefully you would notice that I MYSELF have 100 pounds to lose. And i didn't get that way by eating salad and fruit. I ate way too much for way too long. It was gluttony. And yes, I am ashamed of my gluttony. I am taking steps to turn that around. I didn't know you would react so strongly to the word "pig" instead of focusing on the much more important points of my post. Let's move on and get a thicker skin.

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:00 pm

milczar,
I accept your apology.
Lilly

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:32 am

Lilly wrote:Human beings regardless of their weight are human beings. Why do you feel you must resort to name calling? I think a point can be made without calling a human being a pig.
I agree.
Peace,
Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:40 am

milczar wrote:Lilly,

I never said human beings are not human beings or shouldn't be treated with respect. I am sorry you are so sensitive toward a single word. If you read my post carefully you would notice that I MYSELF have 100 pounds to lose. And i didn't get that way by eating salad and fruit. I ate way too much for way too long. It was gluttony. And yes, I am ashamed of my gluttony. I am taking steps to turn that around. I didn't know you would react so strongly to the word "pig" instead of focusing on the much more important points of my post. Let's move on and get a thicker skin.
"Lets move on and get a thicker skin"???

Wow, but that, just strikes me as really rude.
Sorry, Mlczar, I really don't know you, but I felt the need to say something, and I'm not an overly "pc" person.
But all people should be able to discuss all ideas here without name calling or put downs.
I don't often post here these days, but I know the community here is famously respectful in their posts, whether they are in agreement or not.
Wishing you all the best and much success.
Peace and Love,
Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:04 pm

A thicker skin is not what I or anyone else needs. What we need is to be treated with respect and dignity and compassion. Yes, I have gained My "excess" weight by overeating. I will admit to that. But I do not want someone lumping me in a catagory with a derogatory name. I am tired of being put down and dumped upon by PC type people. I didn't last very long in Tops because of the way they treated the person or persons that gained the most weight each week Again I ask that we treat each other with respect and compassion.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:04 pm

My only involvement in this controversy is that 13 posts ago, I did my best to:
smooth the waters here, and ask people to just be tolerant of each other.
I'm really getting tired of all this bickering over what some might consider "ill advised words",
over what appears to me to be in no way a personal insult to another forum member.

We are different people all together.
Let's be kind.
Let's not easily take offense.
Let's put the best possible interpetation on all of the posts of others.
Let's assume that each person has the best intentions,
and is doing their best to just to openly share their heart.

I ask again....Everyone, please just let this all go.
I'm going to.
And I won't be commenting on this thread again.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:15 pm

I haven't read this thread much, but....

Let's be like ducks and let it all run off our backs. Remember, you can't control what anyone else says, only your response to it.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:05 pm

Woah, woah woah!

Let's settle down here.

I'm sure no offense was meant -- but of course there's a fine line between "speaking home" (which I'm all for) and being offensive. And then challenge provokes defensiveness, and things quickly get out of hand.

So 1) no more animal metaphors here, please (except pavlov's dog!) 2) Let's remember that there is no easier venue in which to practice "turn the other cheek" than in cyberspace. If we can't even do it here, I feel very, very pessimistic about the future of the world.

Sorry I noticed all of this zoological excitement so late -- weekend luddite (plus posting volume has gotten so enormous I'm having a hard time balancing the bulletin board and my day job). It's been years, I think, since we've had such a heated exchange. Let's all try to keep it years till the next one...

Thank you all in advance for your understanding and tolerance!

Reinhard

MerryKat

Re: Not restricted enough....

Post by MerryKat » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:55 am

Terpnessa wrote:Has anyone felt this diet is NOT restricted enough to lose weight? Has anyone been on this new habit for a month or over and NOT lost any weight? Any input would help. I read where someone lost 1 pound a month.....
To go back to the original question.

Terpnessa I have found over my 2 1/2 years here (it takes time for me to get the message!) that this is plan is far more about changing our minds.

If we can change our minds and habits, the weight will come off. Now it may take lots of time for us to break the bad habits that have been ingrained in us by the diet industry, but if you can train your brain and habits to the No S regime, you will see the weight start shifting.

I have various metabolic issues which equal quick and easy weight gain and torturously slow losses and on No S I loose.

Good Luck and try following No S exactly as it is written (non-restrictively) and see what happens when you establish solid habits.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)