Approaching my first S day! Huby and I started diet on Mon.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Sueze

Approaching my first S day! Huby and I started diet on Mon.

Post by Sueze » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:19 pm

This is our first S-Day and I am looking for some advice on not undoing all the good from this week! Former S/B dieter lost 45 lbs., 5 years and kept it off for 3 1/2 years then 8 mos. ago gained 15 lbs. This seems much more managable and even hubby is on board with me! So any words of wisdom from a Veteran No S'er would be apprecitated! Thanks!!! 8)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:37 pm

Enjoy yourself! If you overdo, so what? The great thing about S days is that you cannot fail.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Sueze

Post by Sueze » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:47 pm

You are right! It is just the perfectionist in me that is eager to do well! I know what I need to do, I am just over thinking this! Thanks, Sue :lol:

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:50 pm

My advice...

Eat regular meals anyway - but good ones!
PLAN a super-wonderful treat, and enjoy EVERY BITE. :)

If you overeat to the point of discomfort, chalk it up to a learning experience and let it go.

You CANNOT do this wrong.

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:56 pm

advice - the way i got through my first week
I stuck with the 3 meals, but I chose things that i had written off as 'bad'
Like Italian combo sandwiches, Gyros and cheesy pasta for dinner.

i ended up feeling very full, but it made it MUCH easier not to snack and build the 3 meal habit.
i'm at the end of week three and i'm enjoying lighter meals, and still no snacks!!

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:05 pm

It is very important to successful N days that you ENJOY YOUR S DAYS. If you overdo it, you overdo it. You will learn what you truly enjoy.

DO NOT RESTRICT YOUR S DAYS. Moderation will come naturally if you let it, but if you "try to be good" you not only will make yourself feel bad for having something that is perfectly fine (setting yourself up for psychological failure) but you will be risking the good N days you have to come. Find something special, treat yourself. If you want a snack, have it. It's an S day, not a test.
Heather

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:37 pm

My hubby and I started this week too. It's the first diet he's agreed to do with me in a long time. This being our first weekend, I have given it a little thought (I'd be lying to say otherwise), but as the time gets closer I am realizing that I want to just "go with the flow." I am not planning to do or not do anything! I know I will have three meals. That's about all I know. If I feel like having a snack or a dessert, I'll have it. I don't usually have seconds anyway, but if something is really good and I want a little more, I'll do that too. I am putting this thing to the test! I keep hearing I cannot fail and I believe it!
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

amyg

Re: Approaching my first S day! Huby and I started diet on M

Post by amyg » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Sueze wrote:This is our first S-Day and I am looking for some advice on not undoing all the good from this week! Former S/B dieter lost 45 lbs., 5 years and kept it off for 3 1/2 years then 8 mos. ago gained 15 lbs. This seems much more managable and even hubby is on board :lol: I started the same day. My first s day is tomorrow. I know I'll be going out to lunch to a favorite cafe because I have a shopping trip planned with my daughter. I think I'll do just fine. I don't feel like I'll go nuts and eat all weekend because I've been very satisfied with my food choices this week. No snacking was easier than no seconds though! I often indulge in 2nds and 3rds :oops: because I eat very fast and my Hubby eats slow....I just keep picking from serving dishes while we talk during dinner. This week Ive MADE myself eat slower and also, I eat a peice of fruit right before I call him to dinner and its seems to help me not gulp like someone might try to take it from me!! :o :lol: I know I've lost weight this week, I can already feel the difference in my clothes. I refuse to weigh myself for a least another week....getting weighed can discourage me if it's not what I think it shoud be...sounds dumb but at least I know where my weakness is...the scale! I hate that stupid thing!!

tgp157

Post by tgp157 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:40 pm

If I understand the Veteran NoS'ers & Reinhart correctly--you may go nuts the first few weekends but that will get better as the habit takes hold. It may do you more harm than good to try to restrict your S-days in the long run. You may also find that you don't want as much as you think you will even in the beginning. Don't over think this. Just get in the rhythm & let the habit get hold & let your body take care of the rest. It's designed to know what to do--so let it.
Pam
A Success Story in the Making
NoS-ing since 6/1/09

Sueze

Post by Sueze » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:42 pm

I am glad to see I am not the only newbie here! I will just let the day unfold and see what I fancy, then make the most of indulging! Thanks, for the great advice! Sue 8)

foxylady

Post by foxylady » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:20 pm

Tomorrow is my first S day too. I plan to take advantage of all your good advice .... thank you very much!

And Amyg ..... SCALES ARE FOR FISH ! Don't you agree ?

Foxylady
Within your weakness, there lies your strength...... sleeping. ( Sylvia Brown's grandmother )

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:32 pm

I used to be a huge snacker. (Well, honestly, I suppose I am still huge, just not a snacker M-F! LOL!) And ate tons of sweets, almost without any control. What is extra lovely about S days is that generally they are fairly easy to do!

I sometimes plan a special treat, but often it is just the idea that if I want a hershey's kiss, or a few chips, I can have them. And where before No S it would be terribly difficult to stop eating after 8 kisses or half a bag of chips, now just one kiss is satisfying. And chips...well, mostly taste greasy now. I sometimes go overboard on foods, but my No S overboard is NOTHING compared to pre No S everyday munching.

And the feedback here at the forum is very helpful at keeping me moving in the right direction, towards good habits!