Shopping for an S day

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lmt2pt

Shopping for an S day

Post by lmt2pt » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:42 pm

In order not to keep sweets in the house I just don't buy them. On the way home from work I grocery shop on Fridays for everything but produce and my weekend treats. Saturday morning I get up, bright and early and head to the farmer's markets. Yes, there are two. I start at the one in the town I live. I stroll around, pick what's fresh and local and plan my Saturday multi course meal from what is in season. Often there will be a vendor selling some sort of fantastic dessert for charity. If it's something that strikes my interest, usually is pretty gourmet stuff, I pick it up. If not I cross the bridge to the next town over (great way to fit in Urban Rangering too) to their farmers market. It's a better established market so I usually fill in what I can't get in the one from my town's market. While I'm in that town (really a city) I stop by the bakery, the butcher, and any other specialty shops for what I need for my special S day meal that I planned earlier in the morning. Then me and my bags full of food walk back over the bridge to my waiting car.

It took me a very long time to work this routine out. I had to consiously decide not to make everything convenient. I had to consiously decide to make a shopping routine other than what order to go down the aisles at Publix. I also had to get to the point that I didn't need to plan my treats to keep my will power up while watching others eat junk food. The routine in itself is something I had to work towards but the benefits are worth it. I never grow bored with my Saturday multi course meal because it is based off what is in season and fresh that day. My food tastes better because it's fresher. I'm supporting local business and family farms, so I have some moral bragging rights. And I created special rituals that surround my treats that make them feel more special to me. Not to mention I got killer legs walking that bridge twice.
Heather

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:14 pm

Like you, I go to the farmer's market on Saturday morning. Ours has at least two vendors with baked goods. I often pick a treat then. I usually don't eat breakfast before I go to the farmer's market. Plus, I only go to one. So when I get home I have my "treat" for breakfast. I usually make a treat of some sort for the weekend, too.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:35 pm

That's awesome Heather!! I love my local farmer's market too, now that I have my own store (organic grocery store), I don't get to go to the market, but I do buy a lot of what I sell in my store from those same local farmers and artisans :)

And I love your idea about going to the bakery and butcher for those other items. I'm looking at going to a local bakery this weekend to get something special for my sweet treat, if I end up wanting something. Like I won't end up wanting something...lol
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

wosnes

Re: Shopping for an S day

Post by wosnes » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:30 pm

lmt2pt wrote:I had to consiously decide not to make everything convenient.
Right there is part of the problem. Convenience.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:23 pm

My next door neighbors sell veggies and flowers at a local farmers market. They have already started tilling up their giant garden, and planting. Signs of spring!

Nice plan to walk and do your shopping for your special meals! Sounds like a really lovely way to spend Saturday morning!