Is it just me or ????

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mjn

Is it just me or ????

Post by mjn » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:58 pm

Boy, it seems like alot of people focus so much on what they are going to eat on their S days. Does anyone else seem to notice how much time and energy people are putting into deciding what they will eat for their goodies on their S days? Is that what No S diet is about? I want to take my focus off food and put it into something else besides that. I have been No Sing for about 2 months and have really enjoyed this discussion area, but it seems like alot of talk is spent on what to do on S days and what to eat. I noticed not alot of time is spent in the exercise discussion areas. Not trying to be critical and I know it is new for some people, but maybe we need to support newbies by telling them to not focus so much on eating. Focus on living and being free. Worrying so much about what to eat is bondage.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:13 pm

mjn wrote: Focus on living and being free. Worrying so much about what to eat is bondage.
Those are some wise words!

Yes, I've noticed it. I don't think it's a good or healthy way to think about S-days or food.

I think many have been in bondage to various diets and have developed the dieter's mentality. Let's face it, we've had some very mentally and emotionally unhealthy thoughts about food in the last several decades. Eating disorders aren't limited to anorexia or bulimia! I think this way of thinking is a kind of an eating disorder. Eating is supposed to be one of the pleasures of life, not something to fear.

Wanting freedom from that bondage is what has led many to No-S. And while old dogs can be taught new tricks, it does take some time!

I will admit to thinking about what treat I'm going to make for weekends, but it's more planning to make sure I have what I need to make it -- as well as anticipating enjoying it. I don't "plan" snacks or worry about seconds on those days.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

TingTing

Post by TingTing » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:27 pm

I think it's very hard for a person that's just begun a diet, to stop focusing on food. I think it's natural to talk about food and what kind of goodies one wants to eat on their S days. Eventually, eventually, there will be less focus on food, but right now, one can't help but think about it.

I agree with you that there should be more discussions about ways of exercising. I'm a bit of a slug when I get home from work. I sure would like some good suggestions! :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:33 pm

TingTing wrote:I think it's very hard for a person that's just begun a diet, to stop focusing on food. I think it's natural to talk about food and what kind of goodies one wants to eat on their S days. Eventually, eventually, there will be less focus on food, but right now, one can't help but think about it.
Focusing on food is one thing. Fearing it is another. People aren't talking about what they want to eat on "S" days in anticipation of enjoying it; they're talking about being afraid of eating, afraid of overdoing. Focusing on food isn't bad; focusing on fear of food is.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:48 pm

wosnes wrote: Focusing on food is one thing. Fearing it is another. People aren't talking about what they want to eat on "S" days in anticipation of enjoying it; they're talking about being afraid of eating, afraid of overdoing. Focusing on food isn't bad; focusing on fear of food is.
EXACTLY!
Heather

TingTing

Post by TingTing » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:55 pm

You know what's funny. I'm not dreading my first S days. I'm actually looking forward to them and I've bought some snacks just for those days. What really makes me fearful is the No S days!

I know I need to pick foods that are healthier for me, but I don't because I know the healthy foods are not satisfying for me. I wish I was a salad person, but I grew up always eating hot stir-fried vegetables. Eating raw cold salad is just so unappetizing to me. Many times, I can't stand the salad dressings either. I'm trying to eat more salads now, but it's still a struggle.

I am hoping this board will give me ideas and a better perspective on this diet. :)

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:09 pm

Hot stir fried veggies are great, and often just as healthy as a salad. Don't worry if you don't like a cold salad, you are still eating your veggies.
Heather

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:13 pm

I think sometimes you really get a craving for something during the week, and then it is nice to put off gratification until the weekend. Or if you will be baking the treat, you need to get the groceries. But mostly I've found that I simply wait until the weekend, then see what sounds good as my little (or not so little) splurge.

It is good to remind us not to focus too much on food, and the S day food decisions. And to think more about exercise. I really haven't started exercising or shovel gloving. I do use the stairs at work more (3 flights) instead of the elevator. As I go up the steps, I think about being an urban ranger! LOL!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:15 am

TingTing wrote:You know what's funny. I'm not dreading my first S days. I'm actually looking forward to them and I've bought some snacks just for those days. What really makes me fearful is the No S days!

I know I need to pick foods that are healthier for me, but I don't because I know the healthy foods are not satisfying for me. I wish I was a salad person, but I grew up always eating hot stir-fried vegetables. Eating raw cold salad is just so unappetizing to me. Many times, I can't stand the salad dressings either. I'm trying to eat more salads now, but it's still a struggle.

I am hoping this board will give me ideas and a better perspective on this diet. :)
There's nothing wrong with stir-fried or other cooked vegetables. You might have a lot of success if you went back to foods similar to what you grew up on.

We don't all have to eat the same food!

Noturningback

Post by Noturningback » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:29 am

wosnes wrote: Focusing on food is one thing. Fearing it is another. People aren't talking about what they want to eat on "S" days in anticipation of enjoying it; they're talking about being afraid of eating, afraid of overdoing. Focusing on food isn't bad; focusing on fear of food is.
Totally agree!

I was speaking with my sister the other day. She is on WW and getting to the point where she is tired of counting points. I told her about the No S Diet and to come to the website and read about it - make a decision for herself. She was telling me about her WW snack cakes that she needs and the Splenda and "On the Go" beverage packets she carries around in her purse. She brought some to a wedding and said people thought she was batty.

I had to laugh because I have been there. It was just a reflection of my old self. She is in fear mode. She thinks she will break a rule and fail - again. It a hard habit to break. I so want her to see the light and realize it doesn't have to be that way. The diet failed her not she the diet.

I decided to edit this to add: I personally have no problem with people discussing their S days whether out of anticipation or fear. I just wanted to note that I think many of us fear them because of the years of Yo-Yo dieting.

~Danielle
Last edited by Noturningback on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjn

Post by mjn » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:08 am

I am trying to walk everyday at least 5 miles. I bought a pedometer and am trying to walk 10,000 steps a day. That is about 5 miles. Walking is so good for you! Just try and see how many steps a day you can get in. Put it on in the morning and see how many steps you can get in. It really is a wonderful form of exercise and it has been the only form I can stick with. I can usually walk about 4500 to 5000 steps at work ( with a 15-30 min. walk on my lunch break) and then I walk the other 5000 after work. Just an idea for anyone who likes to walk. It helps me quit the food focusing. I hope I didn't offend anyone with my post and wish everyone the best in No Sing.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:46 am

wosnes wrote:
TingTing wrote:You know what's funny. I'm not dreading my first S days. I'm actually looking forward to them and I've bought some snacks just for those days. What really makes me fearful is the No S days!

There's nothing wrong with stir-fried or other cooked vegetables. You might have a lot of success if you went back to foods similar to what you grew up on.

We don't all have to eat the same food!
After I wrote this I thought of something: There is no one model for a healthy diet, a healthy way of eating.

Have you heard the saying that happy families are all different, but unhappy families are all the same? It's the same with diet. Healthy diets are all different; unhealthy diets are all the same.

I think there may be some similar characteristics of healthy diets (or happy families), but the difference is in the details.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:11 am

mjn,

All I can say is that after years of feeling like I should not have treats and sweets I thoroughly enjoy looking forward to and planning my treats.

I think it is called PROACTIVE. As for exercise,
if that is something that you are interested in discussing, why don't you start a thread.

I really believe in supporting people in discussing whatever they want to discuss,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:31 pm

I vote for freedom of speech.