Do you use the HabitCal feature?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

CrazyCatLady

Do you use the HabitCal feature?

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:06 am

Is anyone using the habitcal feature? I just started tracking my No S Compliance this week, and not wanting to put a red mark on for today helped me dodge some bad choices at work today.

Then I got home, and mindlessly noshed a few nibbles....then realized I failed! Red mark! Then had seconds at dinner due to not planning a full plate....oy! But at least I'm not using the red mark as a reason to fail further...dodging other treats and eats just fine!

Today I also added a habitcal to track litterbox scooping. (With a name like mine, you KNEW I had litterboxes to scoop!)

Are you using HabitCal? What are you tracking? Is it helping, and how?

http://everydaysystems.com/habitcal/vie ... edscrubbed

Beckycan

Post by Beckycan » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:10 am

I'm using the Habitcal for my NoS eating. Those red marks are harsh! I had a non-successful day today -- having a hard time using that F word to describe how I did. :roll:

I'm hoping the habitcal will be a motivator -- too soon to tell since I just started this week.

Becky
SW 295
CW 292
GW 175

A turtle travels only when he sticks his neck out. Korean Proverb

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:15 am

I am definitely using Habitcal .. I love all the colored squares...
in fact I am a Habitcal nerd ... before i log off I look at two months .. so I can get the WHOLE picture since I started NO S...

I think it really does help shift the dynamic from weight to behavior!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Terez

Post by Terez » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:54 am

I love habitcal. I use it to track several other habits too. It just astounded me how much more "compliant" I became with those other habits, instantly.

I hate the red "failure" mark too. :evil: I'd like to be able to customize the colors. On one habit, I only put in green and "blank" for whether I do it or not. I'm never "exempt" from it, but I don't like to put a red square on the days I don't do it.

But I quibble. That little program is phenomenal. 8) I love it. :mrgreen:

Terez

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:04 pm

I'm using the Habitcal too. I love seeing those pretty green & yellow squares. So far, no red, whew! I'm only using it so far to track my No S-ing, but will be using it to track exercise, and maybe some other good habits I need to develop. :)
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

Jesseco

Post by Jesseco » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:06 pm

I love it, too. I'm using it for several other habits as well. So far, I've only gotten reds in my housework cal :( . I guess that shows where my priorities are not.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:18 pm

I've been using the Habitcal inconsistently. I like it when I'm really trying to cement a habit (It was amazingly helpful for Glass Ceiling).

I was on vacation this week. Instead of declaring it and S day, I sucked it up, admitted that nope, didn't comply with the No S diet this week and somehow that feels better and more motivating to me. No "wiggling" to try to get out of being realistic about it. I think that's better for habit in the long run.

Not that I intend to punish myself. I don't. Today is an S-day and I can't fail. But I'm finding now that I'm home, the usual habits feel a bit more binding, you know?

I really do want a month of green (or yellow) squares on everything! That's motivating, too.

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:31 pm

I'm using it to track No S, 3 cups of coffee limit a day (on N days), and whether or not I do my back and hip PT exercises. It's a great motivator.

f

silver

Post by silver » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:44 pm

i think habitcall is a great thing and it opened my eyes about how often i really don't stick to the rules. i started using it to teach myself to go to bed early a while ago. i have about 50% success but before that i never got to bed before 11.30 at night. only because i didn't want too many red marks. i'm still not happy about the way it's going but at least i do get a bit more sleep

palomayombe

Post by palomayombe » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:31 pm

Last edited by palomayombe on Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sweetsong32

Post by sweetsong32 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:21 pm

Yes, I use it and love it! I like seeing all the green. It also helps to keep me on track during the day, b/c I do NOT want to put a red box on my calendar!!!!!
:D
"Teaching that impacts is not head to head but heart to heart."

Jaymiz

Re: Do you use the HabitCal feature?

Post by Jaymiz » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:59 pm

CrazyCatLady wrote:Are you using HabitCal? What are you tracking? Is it helping, and how?
I just started NoSing today, so I don't have much to track yet. But, I'm using the HabitCal for NoS, and also for my exercising, and for keeping my kitchen sink "shiny" (yes, I *try* to follow FLYLady). ;-)

ETA: I have actually been using the "traffic light" tracking system for several months now (via a paper calendar, taped to my wall, and with colored dot stickers), because I first heard of it in Linda Spangle's book "100 Days of Weight Loss". I don't know where the idea first originated (I'd thought *she* had come up with it -- didn't know it was "out there"), but I really liked the idea... I do well with "visuals", so stuff like this works for me. :)