actual weight loss

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

spencerstacey

actual weight loss

Post by spencerstacey » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:26 am

Has the people who have tried this diet really lost weight? if so how long did it take to notice? i am worried that its not gonna work, because i have tried other diets that did not work :|
Stacey

sandooch

Post by sandooch » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:49 am

I am a newbie here and have only lost a pound in 2 weeks, but I think you will find that this is definitely not a quick weight-loss diet. One thing I can tell you is that I have been dieting on and off for 30 years and am now 44 pounds heavier than when I started. I was only 15 years old then and weighed 120 pounds. At 5'5" I was far from overweight, but in my young mind I thought I was. Diets dont work (sounds like that stupid Weight Watchers commercials, doesn't it? :lol: ), but NoSing doesn't feel like a diet at all.

The way I see it is I might just lose a half a pound or a pound a week, but who the heck cares. It's weight that I'm gonna keep off because I did not crash diet it off, and I'm having a blast losing it.

Of course, there are people here that lose at a slightly faster rate, usually those who have more to lose, but you will lose if you stick to the rules.

I hope that helps answer your question.

Sandy

Stacy Jo

Re: actual weight loss

Post by Stacy Jo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:41 am

spencerstacey wrote:Has the people who have tried this diet really lost weight? if so how long did it take to notice? i am worried that its not gonna work, because i have tried other diets that did not work :|
Why worry??!!!...worrying will hold you back and does not serve yourself. Personally, I have lost 3 pounds in the last week when I adhere to the principles. Visualize yourself being succesful. What is your goal? Visualize yourself reaching that goal. Take the steps neccessary to reach that goal. It is not easy but if you are willing to put in the effort, it will pay off.

Make it your "must" mission. "I must accomplish XYZ" and take the daily steps neccessary to do, regardless of anything else.

Best, Stacy Jo

rose

Post by rose » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:51 am

spencerstacey wrote:Has the people who have tried this diet really lost weight?
Yes. Lots of people, myself included.
if so how long did it take to notice?
The first month I started to lose weight (2lbs?), but I was stalled in my 2nd month. I didn't give up and adjusted my meal composition to have fewer failures (some foods trigger overeating for me - i.e. "seconds"). Then the pounds went off rather steadily for the next 10 month with only a little plateau. See the chart in my signature.
i am worried that its not gonna work, because i have tried other diets that did not work :|
How about talking to a doctor if you are worried?
Perhaps you can give us some details such as your current weight, height, level of activity, food habits, and the diets you have tried (for how long?). Remember, NoS is not about looking like the models and actresses, it's about good eating habits. If you are really overweight, the extra weight will come off when you have maintained good habits for a few months.
Started NoS Jan 07 at 74.5kg (164 lbs, BMI 26.7)
Stable since Jan 08 at 64kg (141 lbs, BMI 23)
My progress chart

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:35 am

I address this topic in this thread:
http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2962
Heather

amyg

Post by amyg » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:29 pm

This is my second week. I know I have lost weight because my clothes feel different. I have not been on the scale because It :lol: only stresses me out. I'm going to wait for the 1 month mark and then get weighed.
I've been on every possible diet, lost weight, gained it back and then some for years now. I've spent the last year looking for the "perfect" diet for me to lose weight and keep it off.....I feel certin that this is it! I can't live my life being denied the food that I love. I don't have to with no-s.
I eat exactly the same MEALS that I always have, only I now eat ONE plate, no sweets and no snacks....what could be easier? This passed weekend I had an icecream cone after dinner (no guilt) and also had 2 cookies with a cup of coffee on Sunday afternoon (no guilt). I love this way of eating and can't wait to lose the 25 pounds that has followed me around all these years! I figure, a pound a week is 52 pounds a year and I only need to lose half of that. If it take 6 months or a year, I'll still be much better off a year from now than I would have been if I didn't do anything! :D

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:33 am

amyg,

No S is working really well for me too! I have 15-25 pounds to lose and I am not in such a big rush to get them off. I am too jazzed now about just being able to eat normally and not having a binging lifestyle,

this is huge for me,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

amyg

Post by amyg » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:12 pm

Thanks for responding Blueskies! Do you know how much you have lost?
Today I feel a LITTLE tempted to snack.....Starbucks Mocha....I would LOVE one. But I didn't....I kept going. It was hard. I need a kick in the fat behind today...HELP! :oops: :oops:

viggie

Post by viggie » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:30 pm

I'm through with that stupid scale :evil: My clothes feel so much better, but that scale says I only lost 1.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:35 pm

spencerstacey wrote:Has the people who have tried this diet really lost weight? if so how long did it take to notice? i am worried that its not gonna work, because i have tried other diets that did not work :|
Yes, I started on April 4 and I have lost almost 4 lbs and have 4 lbs to go! :) And I'm happy b/c I finally feel like I'll be able to keep it off b/c losing it was so easy, unlike other diets. Also, I thought that 3 or 4 lbs wouldn't make a difference, but they really did!
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

davestarbuck

Post by davestarbuck » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:06 pm

I started last year at 278 lbs in April, by Xmas I was 247. Jan 1 started at 247, I'm now 225. You just get more consistent as you go along. Because I've been very consistent with my eating habits I've done this without much exercise as I hurt my lower back in March and I'm giving it lots of time to heal.. Just walking,stretching/yoga, and a smattering of pushups. Next month I'll start back on the weights/shovelglove, jumprope...etc I figure I'll be around 210-200 lbs by Xmas of this year...

-dave
Cut to size,file to fit, paint to match...

LovelyLinda

Post by LovelyLinda » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:17 pm

I am excited about this for several reason, and I will share just a couple here with you all. One is because I used to always be the skinny girl - well, that changed with having babies and the stresses of life. I have, in the past 10 years, tried every diet, starvation technique, etc, out there. When one of my best friends said she read about this, and guided me to the website I almost wept for joy. I am VERY excited.... now, here is one of the other reasons....

I am the mother of an over weight child (30 lbs over). He has been under a doctor's care for his weight. The doctor has been very careful in ensuring his Feelings are being managed along with his weight. She said the next step was to get him into a support group if we didn't see significant results by this summer. He has been making progress, but we have been careful about him not taking "diet food" in his lunches so that the kids at school wouldn't make fun of him (he is already a target - try being the "fat kid" in the 6th grade - the lastest taunts are "Hey fatty, want a twinkie??"). Now, he is following this with me - to help ME stick with it. *wink wink*. The snacks are hard for a 6th grader, but he has said he will stay true to it, because he knows that we have to support each other. He gets lots of exercise (he plays soccer), but this morning he set his alarm an hour early to get me out of bed to go walking with him - to help me stay on task.

We can do this - I just threw out every DIET bar that was in the house (they tasted like carboard anyway) and other than the once per month weigh in's my son is doing at the doctor's office, I am OVER the scale - my clothes will be my guide. I have an incredible wardrobe just waiting for me to fit back into it... and I will.

So, to answer the question - it looks like it is working for many. It isn't a quick fix, or a gimmick - it's the common sense we needed to bite us in the behind. AT LAST!

amyg

Post by amyg » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:46 pm

Good for you, LovelyLinda! :D I know you can do it! You have a great attitude and a great reason to pull it off! I also can't wait to fit back into the great wardrobe in my spareroom closet! What Fun!!!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:34 am

amyg,

actually planning to face :lol: my thirty day results tomorrow, will be posting them on my blog .... www.nosdiet.blogspot.com

Blueskighs

lola628

Post by lola628 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:30 am

LovelyLinda -

Your son sets his alarm an hour early to walk with you! He sounds like an angel! Best wishes to you both!

Blueskighs - I love your blog, your photos are fantastic!

I'm not getting on the scale either, I just read the part in Reinhards' book about weighing ourselves all the time and how it fluctuates and could trigger bad behavior. YES, been there.

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:48 am

I am the same height and weight as Sandooch, and I have also dieted half-heartedly for the past ten years. With every new attempt to curtail my eating, I start from a higher weight. What if, ten years ago, someone had told me that he had a simple way for me to enjoy my meals, eat anything I wanted with a few exceptions, and lose a pound a month? Would that have been rapid enough for me? Probably not, but, on the other hand, I might have spent the past seven years at a comfortable weight, pleased with my image in the mirror. We should all do ourselves a favor and not fixate on how long it will take. Think about it: whenever you lose weight, the first question people ask is how you did it; next they ask how long it took. Long enough to get it right . . .

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:17 am

lola628,

THANKS!

flipturn,

excellent perspective,

Blueskighs