Spin, crash and burn :(

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

AnnaBanana

Spin, crash and burn :(

Post by AnnaBanana » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:15 pm

Okay.... I spent the first week talking about how this way of living was almost spiritual and I DO believe it is. And I KNOW it is my answer. But you know what? I arrogantly didn't think I would ever have one problem whatsoever. Wrong. I derailed big time over the weekend. I started out doing good, but with the addition of sweets and the ability to snack I spiraled out of control. Then today to make up for it I ate a really small breakfast and lunch and then about 3 fell face first into some Cheerios with about 1/4 cup sugar. Yes, I know, ugh!

But I learned something. I know I have to have three square meals a day. They have to be balanced. If I do that, which is what I did most of last week, I do okay.

It's so weird, this was like a God-send to me finding this site, but in my mind I had already started tweaking by the end of the week. I know I can't do that. I think I desperately want to lose weight so bad and I have such a significant amount of weight to lose that I start to panic and that's when the tweaks start and I fall apart.

I'm an all or nothing person. And somehow in my mind I think I equated the weekend with sweets and stuff with failure.

But I need to shake it off and move on. I'm going to have a nice dinner and start from here. Not going to punish myself over the cereal. That's been my previous cycle. Binge, skip meals, overeat, punish, etc. You get the drift. I just need to move forward from this moment on.

Just wanted to post this in case anyone else derailed too so they wouldn't feel so bad.
Laura Ann
SW: 282
CW: 173
GW: 150-185

Then the time came when the pain of staying a tight bud became greater than the risk it took to bloom.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:36 pm

Say to yourself: "I cannot derail on an S day." Repeat as many times as necessary.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

AnnaBanana

Post by AnnaBanana » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:37 pm

Okay.... gotta be honest here. My post above sounds like I have it all figured out. But I don't. I have so much weight to lose. Minimal is 60 and truly to get in a normal range 75. Right now I feel so lost. It's like a mountain I can't fathom climbing. It's like last week's joy has been replaced by today's despair. How do you do it when the mountain is that high? How do you not give up? How do you stop the binge cycle that spirals you out of control every time or the voice inside that says you can't do it. Sorry for being such a bummer. I am just reaching out here needing some guidance. :(
Laura Ann

Then the time came when the pain of staying a tight bud became greater than the risk it took to bloom.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:00 am

You do it just like anything else; one day at a time. Remember, it's impossible to derail on an S day.

Beyond that, you're going to have days (N or S) that are great, days that are bad, and days that are downright awful. It's that way with all things, but for some reason we attach a lot more importance to it in relation to diet and weight loss.

Do your best and don't worry about it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:36 am

Wosnes is right.

You can't get it wrong on an S day.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, there's this "Don't be an idiot" caution, and it's true.

But "Don't be an idiot" also means to let the simplicity of the system work for you. Let the learning process be a learning process.

The beauty and power of the system is incredibly subtle.

I hope you'll forgive a small bit of self-promotion, but I did an article on my blog called Kaizen. http://noelfigart.com/blog/2008/04/06/kaizen/

It's a Japanese term that means (more or less) "constant improvement". For this to work, you have to get the big picture stuff down. Right now that big picture is confining your meals to a single plate and not eating snacks. You're off the hook on the weekend. Once that's solid, MAYBE you'll need to refine your S days, but don't sweat it yet.

Edit: By the way, Reinhard often asserts that it's a bad idea to fall into the trap of progress and that it's maintenance that's the hard thing, so focus on habit. He has a valid point, but the Kaizen article doesn't assert that view in the least. Little goals tend to keep me interested, but the trick is to keep them small enough.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:47 am

If it all falls apart, just pick up and go from there. Remember, you are going to be eating this way THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. You have some time to undo whatever supposed damage was done over the weekend.

Think "less hare, more turtle". You'll do fine.

Jaymiz

Post by Jaymiz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:48 am

Like FLYLady says, "Progress, not perfection".

You don't have to do this 100% right, 100% of the time! If you're doing 80%, you're going to see changes. They might not be really fast, but they'll come!

And, look at it this way: As long as you're not giving up, you have not FAILED! ;o)

Get up, dust off those crumbs, and don't look back! Only look forward! You can't change yesterday, and you can't change tomorrow... all you have to work with is TODAY! ;o)
http://jaymiz.wordpress.com (The 'No S' Life)
"The more you do a thing, the easier it becomes" ~ Anon.

KTina

you are doing great

Post by KTina » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:49 am

HEllo!
SO! I read your post today and YOU actually helped ME!

Today is day 1 of my No S--and I had seconds after dinner! A banana and about 1/2-3/4 cups of sunflower seeds, raisins and nuts! I didn't even get to day two with success.

But now for the successes: NO SWEETS TODAY! WOW that is a huge accomplishment. NO SNACKS TODAY! WOW that ai s a huge accomplishement--I staved off hunger for 2-3 hours this afternoon--I was like a hyena fighting off a lion!

YOU went a WHOLE WEEK without snacks, sweets and seconds! WHEN was the last time in your life you did that?? Terrific, I say, Fabulous! Give yourself a huge congratulations.

You are re-wiring your brain to make different behaviour choices, NOT an easy thing do do. By previously overeating and eating when you are not hungry, you have done the best for yourself by comforting yourself when other behaviour or people were not available to you, it's a coping mechanism. One that is painful to you in the end, because of the guilt and the extra pounds, but a coping mechanism, nevertheless.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Your past actions have led you to do the best that you know how.

By focusing on the end result, (having to lose 60 pounds), you may be judging yourself too much. If we are truly committed to changing behavior and not looking or the quick fix, we ALL need to give ourselves grace, patience and forgiveness to accept and love our past weigh challenges, and ourselves for how we are today. This will free us to focus on the BEHAVIOR and the 60 pounds will take care of itself and then some! Be patient with yourself and keep going. Love yourself, turn to your spirituality as you mentioned, see this as a project for your future physical and mental health, don't judge yourself so harshly.

How do we stop when "the voice" says eat, eat, eat? Not one day at a time, but one moment at a time. First, practice hearing the voice and then start Challenging the voice! Hearing the voice first is hard. I obviously didn't hear the thought that led me to eat the nuts tonight, otherwise I would have done my best to stop it in its tracks.

Why think of your diet in black and white? Stopping "the voice" is not a black and white affair! It's a challenging negotiation of give and take between you and the voice, a slippery and gray area-- that voice inside our heads is soft spoken but powerful.

Congratulations, you made it a whole week. You can do it again and again and again! And the weekends will get easier and easier. Don't give up!

AnnaBanana

Post by AnnaBanana » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:33 am

NoelFigart wrote:Wosnes is right.

You can't get it wrong on an S day.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, there's this "Don't be an idiot" caution, and it's true.

But "Don't be an idiot" also means to let the simplicity of the system work for you. Let the learning process be a learning process.

The beauty and power of the system is incredibly subtle.

I hope you'll forgive a small bit of self-promotion, but I did an article on my blog called Kaizen. http://noelfigart.com/blog/2008/04/06/kaizen/

It's a Japanese term that means (more or less) "constant improvement". For this to work, you have to get the big picture stuff down. Right now that big picture is confining your meals to a single plate and not eating snacks. You're off the hook on the weekend. Once that's solid, MAYBE you'll need to refine your S days, but don't sweat it yet.

Edit: By the way, Reinhard often asserts that it's a bad idea to fall into the trap of progress and that it's maintenance that's the hard thing, so focus on habit. He has a valid point, but the Kaizen article doesn't assert that view in the least. Little goals tend to keep me interested, but the trick is to keep them small enough.

WOW - I just read that article. That was very much what I needed to hear today. I know I want to rush to the end. But it doesn't work that way. Thanks for sharing this.
Laura Ann

AnnaBanana

Post by AnnaBanana » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:38 am

I just read everyone's messages and they were encouraging. Thanks for listening and sharing.

I know I need to learn to trust the process and enjoy the process. One step at a time, one second at a time. Whatever it takes. You know in my heart I knew the answer, but just could't see it today. I guess I just let old ghosts rattle my cages today.

Thanks so much!

PS - Noel - I really loved that article!!!
Laura Ann

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:22 am

Hi Laura :)
NoS is a definite Godsend but it is you who will have to do the work to change those habits and long term vicious cycles.
This is by no means, easy, and you should expect to have setbacks and all out failure days.
Its just part of the process.
But keep on doing it and you will feel so much stronger.. Just keep bouncing back!!
There isn't much talk of it right now, but I am going to suggest perhaps Reinhard revives the old thread or thread on this.
Someone in the past had mentioned that in general, it often takes about 12 failures in any attempt at a successful diet habit to be formed, or exercise, (or perhaps it was for both) before you really get into a new successful habit.

I too have a large amount of weight to lose. I'm expecting it will take me at least two years to reach my goal.
Stay positive and throw out that "all or nothing" mentality!
Just do your best.
Your best will be different every day and even every moment.
I'd say that although you can't technically "fail" on an S day, if you are really binging out on large portions of cheese doodles in sugar (haha never heard of that before! LOL) maybe just do yourself a favour and get a single serving at the beginning of the weekend and simply don't bring in more than that.

Hope you have a good week!
Peace and Love
Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:05 am

I'm an all or nothing person.
LauraAnn,

I am an all or nothing person too and this can actually be used to great advantage in No S. Have you read the book? Reinhard talks about something like making a fence around the law.

I am not sure why, maybe because I am really stubborn or just so sick and tired of messing with all this food crap. But since I read NO S book beginning at 1:00 pm on Monday, March 24, 2008 I have been on habit.

This doesn't mean my food are eating has been perfect but it has been ON HABIT. Maybe some of my plates are bowls were too full, a few may have been two small. Yesteday I had three chocolate chip cookies instead of two. In my pea brain, two would have been perfect. I had to stop the jabber with ... hey babe, this is an S day ... it's all good.

I don't have as much weight as some to lose and I have more than others. But following the three meals one plate each rule has really helped me gain my sanity.

Last weekend I overate on the weekend. But there was no binging involved. I simply overestimated my portions and couldn't stop until my plate was empty. I think that was ok.

But I have had disordered eating for just over 40 years, I have tried SO MANY THINGS .. I really believe in this. You just keep doing those one plate meals. What I love about this was that even though I overate last weekend by late Monday or Tuesday I was fine ...my hunger was back in full force. No more more binging and more binging and more binging ... no more my honey coming home and finding me face down in a carrot cake, or over at Starbucks mainlining chai tea lattes ... you know ...

HANG IN THERE,
this is wonderful,
you are getting it,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

AnnaBanana

Post by AnnaBanana » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:10 pm

You guys are AMAZING! Thank you all, each and every one of you, for your replies and wonderful support.

I got up this morning and feel a lot better. The jist from what I get from all of you is take your eye off the weight loss and put it on building the habit and then the rest will follow.

So, this morning I exercised at 6 a.m. and then had a great breakfast. I feel 100% better.

It amazes me how quickly it is to fall back in old habits. I tried to compensate for the weekend by undereating/not eating for breakfast and lunch yesterday and it backfired big time by yesterday evening. I could feel that vicious cycle coming back and it scared me to death.

So 3 full plates for me today, my exercise is out of the way already and I'm good to go.

Thanks again everyone! Have a wonderful day!
Laura Ann

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:20 pm

I'm just a few days into No S, and still living minute to minute
working not to snack.
Around 8:15 this morning I felt so sad that breakfast was over, and I couldn't eat till lunch,
that I just went back to bed and took a nap.
Perhaps that would sound a bit better if you knew I got up at 3 a.m.
At 9 a.m. I got up, and did my exercise.

Then at 10:30 it was necessary for me to go to Sees Candy Store
and puchase a gift wrapped box of handpacked chocolates that I had promised my neice.
I did not eat the free chocolate.....nor any snacking or sweets....so far.
However, when the salesclerk asked if I wouldn't like her to bag a few chocolates just for me,
I followed my immediate impulse, and said "yes",
and I chose 6 more chocolates.
When I came home I bagged all 7 of those extra chocolates and put them in the freezer.
In the past, I've been able to keep See's in my freezer for a very long time.
Maybe sometime I'll choose to have one or two on an S day.
Fortunately it was lunch time, and I ate a good lunch.
Now It's 1:15 and although I feel full, now I feel sad that I can't eat till dinner.

So it goes. :oops:

BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

AnnaBanana

Post by AnnaBanana » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:45 pm

WOW -- the difference a day makes. I got up this morning and ate a good breakfast after working out and then went to work. Had a great day! Ate my lunch at the hospital where I work about 2 and now I feel back in control. This feels great!

Thanks again for the support. I am so thankful I just didn't give up.
Laura Ann

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:01 am

LauraAnn wrote:Okay.... gotta be honest here. My post above sounds like I have it all figured out. But I don't. ... Sorry for being such a bummer. I am just reaching out here needing some guidance. :(
Laura Ann, dear girl, you are a human being and as much as you want it, you're not perfect. But guess what, neither are we! You have already learned something from the mistakes you made on your S day, and that's a good thing. Don't be so hard on yourself; if you learn from past mistakes and keep trying you are not a failure. You are only a failure if you quit.

It's not going to be 100% easy 100% of the time. Last night around 9:30 I was so hungry! I drank a glass of milk. It really worked for me. That was the first time I had something to eat after dinner. I know there are bigger and badder temptations out there waitin' for me, but I'm gonna string as many "green" diet days together as I possibly can because those green boxes keep me going. I'm not doing as well on moving, and I so hate those red boxes!!! But I'm not going to give up.

Now, say this out loud three times "I am a human being and it's ok to not be perfect". Then say: "I have friends on the No S Diet who care about me and want me to succeed, and they will help me". There, feel better?

Hugs,
Diane :)
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:03 am

Oh jeeze...I didn't read down far enough

:oops:

Laura Ann got right back on track; I knew she could do it!

YAY Laura Ann!!!!

Diane
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!