Sabotage

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Nichole

Sabotage

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:59 pm

Day 19 for me. I have been doing so well and it's been so easy! I've lost about 3, close to 4 lbs.

Now, all of a sudden, I REALLY want some snacks and sweets. Craving them badly. It feels like the usual self-sabatoge I went through other times when I was good. The old me would have just said "ah well, who cares, I'll have a soft pretzel at 3 in the afternoon. It's okay." I'm not going to do that because I finally have clear and easy guidelines, but does anyone else notice these tendancies to want to just throw it all away and go back to old habits---self-sabotage?
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

tgp157

Post by tgp157 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:44 pm

YES!! I am experiencing the same exact thing right now.
Pam
A Success Story in the Making
NoS-ing since 6/1/09

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:51 pm

Ugh, WHY do people do this to themselves?

Jaymiz

Post by Jaymiz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:04 pm

nfalcone wrote:Ugh, WHY do people do this to themselves?
I've been asking myself that same question for YEARS now! :-?

I'm hoping that this (NoS) will be the end of my "self-sabotage" days. :-)
http://jaymiz.wordpress.com (The 'No S' Life)
"The more you do a thing, the easier it becomes" ~ Anon.

swimfit

Post by swimfit » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:09 pm

Right there with you too. Seems like I go through a "honeymoon" phase when something is new, then the newness wears off and I am back to the head games with eating. But this is the most liberating / sane program, and I have tried everything else so I'm NOT giving up on this, it is my only hope at this time.

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:55 pm

I have noticed this in the past on those stupid unrealistic diets I have tried. I'm only on day 12 of No S, but since this is a habit building, simple as can be plan...I'm hoping I won't run into that situation. Because I'm not counting anything, or keeping points, or weighing and measuring, or weighing myself on the same day of the week at the same time in my birthday suit, I'm pretty sure that self-sabotage is not going to happen this time.

If the feeling arrives I'm going to beat it to death with my shovelglove, and move on :wink:
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:13 pm

Beating it with a shovelglove actually might work! It seems like after I get home and exercise the feeling goes away and I'm able to wait until dinner. But still...

janiean1

Hello

Post by janiean1 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:16 pm

I know exactly what you mean about wanting to sabotage everything! I really went through that this past Monday night! All I can say is maybe fill your plate more, and really eat more protein. Protein really seems to "stick with my bones" more than anything! LOL I think if you would drink that glass of milk in between that might also help you out. I am sure no expert, but these are some things I've tried!

Janie :)

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:59 am

nfalcone,

I'm on day thirty and I have definitely had several points along the way for WHATEVER REASON .... I thougth who cares ....
I have a pretty intense inner rebel 8)
anyway ... the truth is I just love this program so much I WANT it to work and I just push my rebel aside and say ...
not this one chica!
this is a good one....
it was kind of like when I met my husband and whenever I needed to have a little growth spurt as our relationship evolved that part of me that wants to pack up and leave would assert her silly little self and I would just say ...

not this one girl!
this one is a good one...

maybe in the end it's just a firm inner commitment ...

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:16 pm

Blueskighs - so funny you bring in your relationship, this whole diet thing really reminds me of when i first met my boyfriend (3 yrs ago)
it was all too good to be true, something had to be wrong!
ofcourse the difference between him and a diet - he would remind me that it was true, and nothing was wrong.

I think these discussion boards are like that in a lot of ways - this is true, it can work, it is worth it!!
Amyliz

START: 03/30/08 - 158- 161lbs range
Current: 145-148lbs range
On 12/22/09 I saw 145 on the scale for the first time in 7 years!

paulchurchfield

Reminder to those craving sweets

Post by paulchurchfield » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:12 pm

I only just started the diet. I just came off from my second stint of the Atkins diet (just lost 20 pounds) even though I know that Atkins is bad.
But you can learn good things, even from a bad diet and here it is...

According to atkins, "caffiene causes sugar cravings" ........

So, maybe if you are craving sweets, you could cut back on the coffee some.

Too much coffee is bad for you anyhow.

Just a thought.

wosnes

Re: Reminder to those craving sweets

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:25 pm

paulchurchfield wrote:Too much coffee is bad for you anyhow.
Too much of anything is bad for you! It's all about moderation.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Nay

Post by Nay » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:47 pm

After 3 weeks of perfect no s-ing, I also had a wild falling out of the habit -- one thing that happened was that I got very stressed at work (I know this is a big trigger for me) and overate/ate sweets/ ate snacks for nearly a week, off and on.

I felt physically horrible. Yesterday and today I have been picture-perfect, and I don't want to feel that bad again. I can't promise I will never blow it again, but it sure isn't going to happen often. I feel so sane when I am no s-ing that the habit almost embeds itself in your life.

One thing I did notice was that diet sodas also helped trigger crappy eating behavior. I had given up sodas because they seemed to bother my tummy.

With no S AND no sodas (except very occasionally), I have noticed that I sleep like a baby and have no digestive problems.

GLENDA

SABOTAGE

Post by GLENDA » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:40 pm

I too, have noticed this inner rebel problem. It is why I couldn't stick to anything before. However, I know if I resist-and some times it is VERY hard-I will be releived & glad I didn't cheat. Sometimes I just go ahead & give in but a lot LESS eating is done than before. I really want to NOT do it because Reinhard is right about that habit formation. I also noted if I ate lighter meals this tended to happen. So if I catch myself thinking I only need a light supper etc-I need to be on the lookout!!!! Fatter plates are in order! :lol: :lol: I still think this is the most logical & reasonable & livable system yet!-Thanks again, Reinhard!-Glenda

foxylady

Post by foxylady » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:02 pm

I too have noticed the self sabotage impulse. Had it one day last week .... but I overcame it thank goodness. Because this plan is so sane, what's there to rebel against ? That's what sabotage is for me I think.

Always in the past those impulses were almost impossible to deal with. I know that sometimes I even set the failure mode in motion myself, so that I could feel okay about the self sabotage coming later. No more ..... thanks to No S. How can we ever thank Reinhard for such a gift?

Have a great " day on habit " everybody.
Kathleen
Within your weakness, there lies your strength...... sleeping. ( Sylvia Brown's grandmother )

lindalou

Slip

Post by lindalou » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:14 pm

Last night (thurday) I had a 1/2 cup of ice cream but B4 I would have eaten a big bowl full. and wanted more.But this time 1/2 cup was all it took. :D :D

Jaymiz

Post by Jaymiz » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:32 am

blueskighs wrote:I'm on day thirty and I have definitely had several points along the way for WHATEVER REASON .... I thought who cares ....
I have a pretty intense inner rebel 8)
anyway ... the truth is I just love this program so much I WANT it to work and I just push my rebel aside and say ...
not this one chica!
this is a good one....
Yeah, I had two days this week (my FIRST week of NoS, btw) where I felt *exactly* like that -- I thought, "I'm gonna give up for today, and start again tomorrow". But, like you, I remembered that I really want this program to work, and I've BARELY given it a shot, so far, so I pushed that "rebel" aside and walked away from the tempting foods... and I managed to have ALL "green" this week! Whoohoo!

angelka71

Post by angelka71 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:48 am

My self sabatoge thing is sneaky and subtle. "Oh, you've done so well...and tomorrow is your S day...who cares if you start early?"

Another big thing for me is that AS SOON as I start having success I almost feel like I should celebrate...with food! Why do we do this to ourselves?

cornelia

Post by cornelia » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:00 am

I am going into my 3rd week on this plan. Just this last Tuesday, I had rented a movie that I really wanted to see. What goes along with a good movie? Right......popcorn. Which is, by the way, my big problem. Love the stuff. Even have a ceramic red and white striped popcorn bowl (okay, tub). Anyway, I fought with myself. Finally, I gave up and went to the kitchen to pop a bag. I got as far as putting it in the microwave and then I thought of all the members of this board who were probably going through something similar, and were not giving in to temptation. I threw the popcorn away and watched the movie without eating. I absolutely love this way of eating and I am determined to stay with it. You guys helped me just by being there. Thanks.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:06 am

My self sabatoge thing is sneaky and subtle. "Oh, you've done so well...and tomorrow is your S day...who cares if you start early?"
Angela ... oooooh that's a good one! :D

Cornelia, way to go! I actually threw something away my first green square day ... it was like "I am not going to do this again" i.e. play with the rules. I am not sure I had ever done that so clean and clearly before.
YAY YOU!!!!!

Jaymiz,
congratulations on your green week! YES! WHOOHOO!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

foxylady

Post by foxylady » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:07 am

Cornelia .... I don't know if that is your first given name, but it IS beautiful. I want to say GOOD FOR YOU ! Congratulations on winning the battle of the popcorn.

I,m so glad we have each other to share with and learn from. Thanks for telling us of your victory over temptation. I will think of it when I face some of my hard days.

Kathleen
Within your weakness, there lies your strength...... sleeping. ( Sylvia Brown's grandmother )

Jaymiz

Post by Jaymiz » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:54 pm

cornelia wrote:.....popcorn. Which is, by the way, my big problem. Love the stuff. >> I threw the popcorn away and watched the movie without eating.
Popcorn was always a problem for me, too -- I'd always make some when watching one of my 3 shows (I read more than I watch TV, but do have a few favorites that I'll watch)...

Then I got to the point where I decided I couldn't keep popcorn in the house any more, and would only get it *once-in-a-while* as a special occasion thing... and it's been helpful. If it's not here, I can't eat it. And, I don't have to be tempted by it, either. Works for me.

And, to be clear, it's not that I *can't* have it, just that I choose to not have it around until I'm ready to have ONE helping! Then I'll buy that ONE helping.

Same with things like IceCream. I can't have that in the house, either. But, I'm not *forbidding* it... just saving it for when I'm REALLY craving it.

Good for you, Cornelia, on throwing out the popcorn! I know how much strength that takes, so kudos to you! :D