Exercise / Movement in general

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jaymiz

Exercise / Movement in general

Post by Jaymiz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:55 pm

How many of you NoS veterans (to borrow a word from another poster here) have included some form of movement / exercise with your eating plan?

I just signed up, today, for the American Heart Association's "Start!" Challenge (http://heart.org/start), because I really believe that walking is the easiest way to go about getting more movement into one's life.

For several years now, I've been a big fan of Leslie Sansone and her walk-aerobics DVDs (Walk Away the Pounds, Walk At Home):
http://www.lesliesansone.com

And, this year, I've decided I want to take up running. So I'm starting out slow, doing walk & jog intervals first... slowly building my way up to full-out running.

This new AHA "Start!" challenge just encourages people to be (as Reinhard would put it) "Urban Rangers" and find ways to walk more! So, I liked the idea, and signed myself up. :)

Just wondering what others here do for exercise / movement -- and IF you even combine NoSing with movement of some sort. ;)
http://jaymiz.wordpress.com (The 'No S' Life)
"The more you do a thing, the easier it becomes" ~ Anon.

sandooch

Post by sandooch » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:58 pm

I also walk but on my treadmill. I walk for 30 minutes 5 days a week. That's about it for now. Once in a while I'll break out my T-Tapp DVD when I get bored, but so far I'm loving my walking.

Sandy

Jaymiz

Post by Jaymiz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:03 pm

sandooch wrote:I also walk but on my treadmill. I walk for 30 minutes 5 days a week. That's about it for now.
I'd LOVE to own a treadmill, but as of this moment, I can't afford one. I'm hoping, though, to save up and get one next January. ;) I'm going to check out the cheap "sale" sites, and such... I'd love to get one that'd suit for running, too... that way I could walk & run inside on days when it's not so great outside (like in the winter, when it snows!)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:29 pm

Yeah, I do work out, but it's not solely Urban Ranger and Shovelglove.

MWF I urban ranger to the gym and swim a mile.
TTHS I urban ranger to the gym and lift weights for about 45 minutes

Sunday I go for a couple mile walk.

I don't just Urban Ranger for two reasons. I have pretty severe arthritis and that much walking hurts a WHOLE BUNCH. Swimming doesn't hurt and I like it a WHOLE BUNCH.

I do shovelglove if I don't feel like lifting weights or am way the heck too time-pressed. But I really like lifting a whole bunch, too.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:32 pm

I may not be a 'veteran', but I try to get 30 minutes at least 5 or 6 days a week. I do a stationary bike or walk/jog for cardio and every other day I do free weight exercises. :)

Exercise is good for your body, but it is also good for stress and happiness..
Last edited by Nichole on Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:51 am

also not a veteran but I focus mostly on weights and yoga/stretching

gots to have my movement,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

apple

Post by apple » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:10 am

I have always exercised, and enjoyed it. My mood is a lot better when I have my regular workouts.

My aim is to excercise 2-3 times a week at the gym. Usually for about an hour, either aerobics classes or cardio and weights.

I also try to walk more.

And something new: a short at-home workout, which I so far have done once, last week.

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:24 am

I walk where I can (I use a car for excessive speed, distance, or heavy loads) and exercise regularly (mostly kung fu and resistance work), but I'm not so much focused on losing weight as getting fitter. I'm thinking of training for a half marathon if I can find the time.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

rose

Post by rose » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:01 pm

I too have an exercise routine. I don't think it helped with the weight loss itself, but it does help with general health, and therefore with NoS compliance.

I usually start the day with back and buttock stretches, then I have some light rehab/strength training (shoulder rehab M/Th, abs and back Tu/F, a little Shovelglove W/Sa). Then if I did not wake up too late I might add some foot arch rehab (while washing dishes) and/or a few martial arts forms. Then I stretch my legs carefully. The whole usually takes 30 to 40', dishwashing included.

On N-days I routinely walk 2x10' and climb up 7 or 8 stories. I try to do the same on S-days but it doesn't always happen.

I have a 1h or 1h30 martial arts class once or twice a week (plus 2x20' walk) and I walk to the choir rehearsal once a week (again 2x20').

I also stretch my legs a little at night (less than 5') so that they don't get all knotted up during the night.

That's it. I have a fairly sedentary lifestyle (desk job, very little housework). So an exercise routine is essential to avoid getting really weak physically.
Started NoS Jan 07 at 74.5kg (164 lbs, BMI 26.7)
Stable since Jan 08 at 64kg (141 lbs, BMI 23)
My progress chart

Jaymiz

Post by Jaymiz » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:27 pm

ThomsonsPier wrote:I'm not so much focused on losing weight as getting fitter.
Much as I want to exercise for weight loss, I also am doing it (or, planning on getting back into it :roll: ) for health reasons...
Rose wrote:I have a fairly sedentary lifestyle (desk job, very little housework). So an exercise routine is essential to avoid getting really weak physically
This is exactly WHY I need to do exercise for health reasons in addition to trying for weight loss. I'm a SAHM (stay-at-home-mom), and I spend most of my days sitting on my butt, playing online or reading. My muscles have gotten *very* weak, I've developed Plantar Fasciitus (weak muscles in the feet, which causes pain), and I can't do a lot. I'm only 30 yrs so this --to me-- is ridiculous, and I know I need to do something about it.

My new *plan* is to get out and walk more (Urban Ranger, anyone? LOL). I want to go out and walk for a while after lunch every day (when the weather's cooperating), and go out walking after dinner daily, too --with the family. I may or may not add back in my Walk-Away-the-PoundsDVDs, too (1-4 miles, in my living room!) -- or, I could use our stationary/recumbent bike, and/or do Yoga. I've got lots of options, but walking is still my favorite form of exercise.

Finding Leslie Sansone's "Walk Away the Pounds" DVDs was a God-send for me, because it's not complicated, and it's a great workout. I have tried things like Tae-Bo, and I gave up quickly because it was too hard for a beginner like me. But, Leslie's workouts are easy enough for ANYONE to do! (sorry -- can't help but promote her stuff, as I'm a BIG fan!)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:25 pm

rose wrote:I have a fairly sedentary lifestyle (desk job, very little housework). So an exercise routine is essential to avoid getting really weak physically.
Same here. I'm a writer and usually work from home, so my commute is walking downstairs to my writing chair. Unless I'm sitting in bed working on my laptop.

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:36 pm

I bike on a stationary bike, walk outside and do moderate weight training; I've been doing that for almost ten years now.
A couple of years ago, tired of my regime, I left it all behind to start practicing Ashtanga Yoga, but after I year I had to come to terms with the fact that for me yoga = sciatica pain, so, it's biking and weights for me again.
I also tried Tai-Chi briefly and fell in love with it, unfortunately, I don't have the space inside to practice and there are never ongoing classes nearby my house.
C'est la vie.

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:09 pm

Wow, I must say you are all quite inspirational. I have a home-based business and that requires a lot of online time. I have a beautiful dog that is not fond of walks, so I really have to coax her. I have decided to utilize the resistance bands, exercise ball, pilates and yoga DVDs I spent so much money on. 'bout time I get some use from them.

I do enjoy walking. I have fibromyalgia so some days are better than others. When I walk I wear either my Nikken CardioStrides with removable weighted insoles or I put my MagStrides (magnetic insoles) in my Z-Coil clogs and go. The Z-Coil shoes may look weird, but they are fantastic when you walk on concrete.

Thank you all for your inspirational stories. You all make me want to be better.

Diane
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!

Tulsa

Post by Tulsa » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:46 pm

I do some sort of exercise every day. I lift some weights and use some kettlebells but mostly I do body weight exercises. For instance, today I did 6 circuits of 25 each pushups, jumping jacks, situps, and squats with no rest in between. You get strength building plus a good aerobic workout. Sometimes I ride the exercise bike.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:48 pm

I'm fortunate to have a gym within walking distance of my work, so I exercise at lunch. Lately I've been doing Pilates and Yoga classes, which I love.

When my schedule won't permit a class, or when it's between sessions, I resort to the "15 minute minimum" at home. Kind of like shovelglove in terms of the time limit, but different exercises.

And I walk when I can - trying to do more.

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:05 am

Mavilu wrote:I also tried Tai-Chi briefly and fell in love with it, unfortunately, I don't have the space inside to practice and there are never ongoing classes nearby my house.
C'est la vie.
Egad! How small is your room? Tai chi requires little more than space to stand! Have another exclamation mark for good measure!

There are free yoga classes available near my flat which I keep meaning to try. I do also have a quantity of exercise equipment kicking around the house and I use it very little, having gone through a period of buying this stuff with the intent to use it and failing to do so. The only equipment I use for regular exercise now is a pull-up bar that hangs from the door frame.

I see a parallel between 'acquiring equipment rather than exercising' and 'following a weight-loss plan rather than eating properly'. It took me a while to realise that you still have to put the work in.
ThomsonsPier

apple

Post by apple » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:00 am

ThomsonsPier wrote:
Mavilu wrote:I also tried Tai-Chi briefly and fell in love with it, unfortunately, I don't have the space inside to practice and there are never ongoing classes nearby my house.
C'est la vie.
Egad! How small is your room? Tai chi requires little more than space to stand! Have another exclamation mark for good measure!
When I practised Tai Chi a few years ago, the series of movements that we (24-something) did required quite a bit of space, maybe an area of 6x3 metres if you did it properly.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:49 am

I try to do Yoga (for 14 min) a day. For me Yoga is a great stress reliever and really helps keep mind and soul calm and peaceful.

I would love to Urban Ranger, but her in SA it is not practical much of the time (things are too spread out and it is not safe to be out on my own) and I don't have time in the evenings before it is dark.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:33 am

MerryKat,

I love yoga! I always come and go from it. Recently I have started doing more yoga and stretching again. I am always like this feels so good. Why do I stop?

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Shirls

Post by Shirls » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:19 pm

Hey MerrylCat - a fellow South African :D I was about to post that it's none too safe to walk around here but you did it for me. Ah well, there's always mall walking, though it's really hard on my credit card. I'd just love a treadmill, but they are so huge. I'm going to have to stick to crazy dancing in a locked room. :roll:
Don't wait for the storm to be over - learn to dance in the rain.

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:35 pm

apple wrote:
ThomsonsPier wrote:
C'est la vie.
When I practised Tai Chi a few years ago, the series of movements that we (24-something) did required quite a bit of space, maybe an area of 6x3 metres if you did it properly.
Exactly!, it doesn't look like you are moving much, but a good 24 or 36 movement routine will have you walking around, not to mention that arm postitions require your general space to be bigger than what you would need by just stepping around.
The only two rooms that have a TV are my husband's den and this here, my den, my husband's has a TV, a large coffee table in front of it and couches around and mine has space long enough for me to stretch a yoga mat in front of the TV, but not space sideways and Tai-Chi is something you have to practice by either watching a live teacher or a video, because it's so fluid, books don't do (I've tried), otherwise, I would do it outside.

DebbiAnn

Post by DebbiAnn » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:34 pm

I have a gym membership that is mostly going to waste. The problem is I have to get there. I don't have enough room for a treadmill and if I did I probably wouldn't use it regulary. I have down loaded a book on my Ipod and only listen to it when I am on the treadmill. This is some insentive to get to the gym. Somethimes it works, but mostly I have to force myself out of bed. (that retired problem again)

Debbi

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:31 pm

dvmccown wrote: Somethimes it works, but mostly I have to force myself out of bed. (that retired problem again)
It's amazing how our Inner Teenagers never grow up. This was me talking myself into a workout today:

ME: Look, just find some clean underwear.
MYSELF: But I haven't had a shoooweeerr. I don't want to put clean underwear on a dirty body.
ME: You bathed yesterday afternoon. You cannot have a shower today until you work out.
MYSELF: Oh, all right. I have underwear. See, even a sports bra.
ME: Okay, now get some clean sweatpants.
MYSELF: But my only clean sweatpants have a rip on the inner thigh. I can't squat in public in these!
ME: You've made how many garments in your life? Tell me you don't have a needle and black thread. I dare you.
MYSELF: Fine. I fixed them. Even got a slobby white wife beater. Happy?
ME: Absolutely. Now, go put your hair up and put on your socks and shoes. And wear your pirate hoodie. You like your pirate hoodie and then you won't get chilled on your way back.
MYSELF: Do I have to walk there?
ME: No, but if you don't it's gonna mean a treadmill warmup. You know it's not a good idea to lift cold.
MYSELF: Oh, fine! F**k it, I'll walk!

irish

Post by irish » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:41 pm

Jaymiz, I ,too, love Leslie Sansone. I do her videos 5 - 6 days a week and have for the last 5 months. I've lost and inch off my waist - down to 28", which for a gal in her 60's isn't too bad - and feel much more energized. Previously (for the last six years) I walked, but I feel that this is much better, and you can do it in any weather. My favorites are Walk Away the Pounds-Super Fat Burning, 3 Mile Weight Loss Walk (both use weights) andWalk Away your Waistline (with the walk belt). I hope I can keep it up forever!

irish

Post by irish » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:42 pm

I forgot to mention - you can buy Leslie Sansone dvd's used at Amazon - very reasonable.

Karma rex

Water aerobics and walking

Post by Karma rex » Thu May 01, 2008 5:07 am

I go to water aerobics 3 mornings a week and have done so for many years. I am trying to get back to walking and lifting some weights (may try shovelglove). Today was a nice sunny spring day and my coworker and I walked the road that follows the water and faces one of the most gorgeous mountain ranges in the world! It was a great 45 minute lunch time walk! Seagulls, eagles, sealions and ducks....what more can you ask for. Oh ya, a whale or two and sandhill cranes moving north. We are going to try to walk when weather permits. The problem here in beautiful southeastern alaska is that more often than not it is raining and chilly so it is either commit to raingear and get up and go or pull out the Leslie Sansone tapes! Thanks for reminding me of those! Rexanne

Jaymiz

Post by Jaymiz » Fri May 02, 2008 9:58 pm

irish wrote:Jaymiz, I ,too, love Leslie Sansone. I do her videos 5 - 6 days a week and have for the last 5 months. I've lost and inch off my waist - down to 28", which for a gal in her 60's isn't too bad - and feel much more energized. Previously (for the last six years) I walked, but I feel that this is much better, and you can do it in any weather. My favorites are Walk Away the Pounds-Super Fat Burning, 3 Mile Weight Loss Walk (both use weights) andWalk Away your Waistline (with the walk belt). I hope I can keep it up forever!
Very cool! In her "WAtP" series, I have the 1-mile "Get Up and Get Started", 2-mile "High Calorie Burn", and 3-mile "Super-Fat Burning" DVDs. And, I also have her "Walk Slim: 4-Fast Miles" DVD (which is basically intervals of walking + jogging). That one's a killer! LOL.

But, I love them all!

I recently got a copy of Prevention Magazine's "Ultimate Walking Workout" DVD, but it's not as nice as Leslie's workouts. It's not got the same "feel" to it -- something about Leslie & the gang makes them feel more like "family" (and, yes, i know I sound like a nutcase saying this, but I really feel like they're my good friends! I've been walking with Leslie & her crew since 2005!) :D

irish

Post by irish » Sat May 03, 2008 12:49 am

I, too, feel like they're "family", in fact, I'd like to know more about Mary Day & Joann. Will look for the first 2 DVD's you mentioned.

amandz

Post by amandz » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:14 am

rose wrote:I too have an exercise routine. I don't think it helped with the weight loss itself, but it does help with general health, and therefore with NoS compliance.

I usually start the day with back and buttock stretches, then I have some light rehab/strength training (shoulder rehab M/Th, abs and back Tu/F, a little Shovelglove W/Sa). Then if I did not wake up too late I might add some foot arch rehab (while washing dishes) and/or a few martial arts forms. Then I stretch my legs carefully. The whole usually takes 30 to 40', dishwashing included.

On N-days I routinely walk 2x10' and climb up 7 or 8 stories. I try to do the same on S-days but it doesn't always happen.

I have a 1h or 1h30 martial arts class once or twice a week (plus 2x20' walk) and I walk to the choir rehearsal once a week (again 2x20').

I also stretch my legs a little at night (less than 5') so that they don't get all knotted up during the night.

That's it. I have a fairly sedentary lifestyle (desk job, very little housework). So an exercise routine is essential to avoid getting really weak physically.
As my exercise, I've practiced to have a taebo every afternoon.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:50 pm

Wow! This is a resurrected oldie. My answer has changed in the details from my 2008 version, but the core is essentially is the same - exercise classes or workouts in the gym on most N-days, 15 minutes of anything if I can't make it.

However, I'm now tying to get in more walking, since my job is very sedentary and I have added a commute since 2008. Using a pedometer to track steps helps.

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:45 am

Since this has been resurrected, I shall weigh in. It might be interesting to see what the difference is. Looking at my previous response, it seems that i neglected to mention a great deal of what I do.

As with KCCC, the core of my exercise has changed little; my main physical activity is kung fu (tai chi, ba gua and animal styles) and my other exercises tend to be focused on improving some aspect of martial performance. In addition to the pull-up bar, I now have a few weights kicking around that I use for kettlebell-esque exercises, and a swiss ball; that's it for equipment (unless you count weapons) as most of my training is bodyweight. I've always walked everywhere, so I've never really considered it exercise.

I have, however, given up running, as I discovered after a three-month stint that I hated it. I've replaced it with interval training based around martial arts: Tabata protocol training is quite fun* and effective.

*for given values of fun.

I have still yet to try yoga.
ThomsonsPier

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:06 pm

Working out, yes !! At least 5 times per week, 30-50 minutes. High intensity @ all times. It has to be HARD to do or else I don't call it a 'Work out' :-) I regularly split my work outs too, more effective than to do a single longer work out apparently. I do 15-20 minutes in the morning and 20-30 minutes in the evening for example. It still counts as only one work out (split in 2).

From may to october : Cycling, sprinting (Interval training)
If I can't go outside due to bad weather I do my calisthenic exercises inside. Jumping jacks, Squats, Planks, Pushups, weight training ...

From nov. to april. : Calisthenics. Jumping jacks, Squats, Planks, Pushups, weight training ... I kick it old school usually, often using my body weight exercises to train + pumping iron. I've never trained using fancy machines, tread mills, elliptical machines, etc. I've used weight machines for a while in high school and college but I prefer real weights.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

38 Years Old, 5'10" Tall
Nov. 1st. 2008 : 280 Pounds
Nov. 1st. 2009 : 190 Pounds
(1 Year : - 90 Pounds)

Current Weight : 193 Pounds

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:59 pm

I do! I love to exercise! I have about 50 exercise dvds, and Leslie Sansone's workouts make up almost half of my collection, because I love her. :D In addition to Leslie Sansone, I lift weights, do pilates and yoga, walk outside, and I sometimes ride my recumbent bike while watching TV.
I'm finding that exercise helps me more with looking toned and maintaining my weight, as opposed to losing weight. I used to be able to use exercise to help me lose weight when I was in my 20s, but now that I'm 35, I'm finding that diet is a lot more crucial to helping me lose weight. Now that I'm basically in maintenance, I'm finding that exercise does help me to be able to eat a little bit more than I could otherwise and still maintain my weight.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:13 pm

Absolutely! I walk/nordic walk for 45 minutes to an hour each day and try to stay reasonably active during the rest of my day through normal activity like house/yardwork, running errands, playing with my DD, etc. I'm a pedometer wearer and I shoot for an average of 12,000 or more daily steps which is what the experts recommend for weight loss/maintaining weight loss. Submitting to the rigors of the gym really isn't my thing and I much prefer to get my exercise in a gentle, consistent way. :D :wink:

So far, I'm finding my current exercise habit/combined with vanilla No S is enough to keep me healthy/fit/toned and allow me the freedom of having enjoyable, unrestricted S Days while being within a "happy" weight range. If I wasn't exercising, I would certainly be more "fluffy" and I'm positive I'd have to be more a lot careful about what I was consuming.

(I love/prefer walking outdoors but will do so indoors, hop on the treadmill/glider or pop in an exercise video if circumstances/weather prevent me from getting out.)
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:42 pm

I do almost exactly what I did in 2008, lol! Except every other day I work my arms with 10 lb free weights. Yes, I am very, very careful. I've seen great results in my arms. I was lazy and had been using 5 lb weights on and off for years now and doing tons of reps and seeing little results lol!

About 6 days a week I do 35 minutes on the exercise bike. If I have energy I am able to give it more, but if not, I take it easy. Basically, I just make sure I get on it, and see what happens. 35 minutes may seem like an odd number, but I take it especially slow the last 5 minutes, which is why I chose 35 for pregnancy! :)
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

Starla

Post by Starla » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:16 pm

After months of struggling with this, I've finally found a routine that has been working for me for the past couple months. The rules are:

1) I can take up to two exempt days per week (usually take only 1);
2) I take a walk outside on weekend mornings (50 minutes at a good pace);
3) On days when I come home shortly after work (usually 2/week) I walk for 30 minutes on the treadmill: 10 minutes at 3.8 miles/hour, 10 minutes at 3.9 and 10 minutes at 4.0. I expect to eventually increase the speeds, but not the time.
4) On days where I get home later, I do a circuit training routine with hand weights. The prescribed routine consists of 3 circuits using 10, then 15 then 20 pound weights. I can currently do one circuit with 3-pound weights, but when I started I couldn't even do that.

When I started on the treadmill I walked at 3.1 miles per hour for five minutes a day. Yup. Five minutes. I added one minute each week and worked on increasing the pace.

My exercise philosophy has evolved into two points: 1) Moving is better than not moving; and 2) Start something. Anything. You can change it; you'll get better at it; you may learn to enjoy it. But you have to start.