Are ya' hungry??

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Laff

Are ya' hungry??

Post by Laff » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:17 am

First off, I know that hungry or the feeling of being hungry is not a bad thing. In fact, it is a good thing to feel hungry. I think I am eating reasonable plates full at my meal times and yet a couple of hours later I am hungry. Fill me up, oh water, or I will have to go nuts and have a cup of tea! It makes me realize how much I was eating and in fact, how continuously I was eating. This will be a hard habit to break. I am strong, I am focused, I can do this.
I raise my glass (of water) to a successful day with wishes for success for each of you. :)
Gotta smile. Laff

Achieving begins with believing!

roseha

Post by roseha » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:42 am

I was very hungry when I re-started NoS about 2 weeks ago, but as time has gone on I've become less so, mainly because I am not eating a big lunch anymore. I do think it will get easier for you Laff. I think that the hunger decreases, which is the important thing.
Last edited by roseha on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

angelka71

Post by angelka71 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:47 am

Yes, today I was hungry. Yesterday I didn't have much of an appetite b/c I think I had a touch of a stomach bug but today my appetite was back in full force. (Prolly b/c I ate so little today.)

When I was pregnant, every time I felt hungry I felt alarmed...it wasn't just that I was hungry...the BABY was hungry so I would always eat at the first hint of hunger. After that, various diets I tried only kept me on that habit...i.e. 3 hour diet and especially the "Weigh Down Diet."

Today, I remembered something I had forgotten. The hunger will actually go away for a little while if you don't eat. There were a couple of times today I was thinking that I wasn't going to make it to my next meal, that I'd have to have something! But, I kept thinking, "Ok, I'll give it just a bit longer," put a piece of gum in my mouth and get busy doing something else. So...after all was said and done, I made it out just fine. I wasn't even cranky b/c I knew I could eat...just not right now. Oh, and drinking water really did help.

Good luck!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:12 am

Laff,

off and on I have experienced hunger on No S ... it probably has to do with many things, activity, hormones, etc. I just kind of refocus. I hears somewhere it will go away and then kind of come back intermittently until you address. I think this is really true for me for real physical hunger.

I am just starting to get better at adjusting my volumes up a little or down a little according to how hungry I am and about what time I estimate my next meal will be,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:16 pm

Are you Hungry?
Yep. :!:
But I do know it's more "mind-hunger" than "stomach-hunger".
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

slickchic

Post by slickchic » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:48 pm

I seem to be great until around 4:00. I am so HUNGRY that all I can think about is food. The other day it was especially bad and I was not being very nice to my DD's. I drank a small glass of milk (skim, it is the only kind we like) and it had such an amazing calming affect. That ravenous feeling left, my mood was elevated and I was great until dinner. I won't do this everyday, but is was sure better than being "hungry mean" to my girls!!

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:34 pm

blueskighs wrote:Laff,

off and on I have experienced hunger on No S ... it probably has to do with many things, activity, hormones, etc. I just kind of refocus. I hears somewhere it will go away and then kind of come back intermittently until you address. I think this is really true for me for real physical hunger.

I am just starting to get better at adjusting my volumes up a little or down a little according to how hungry I am and about what time I estimate my next meal will be,

Blueskighs
Good Morning! As you stated above about hunger coming back intermittently, we were taught in my last diet gourp, that hunger comes around every 20 minutes or so; I find that drinking water and if the hunger is extreme, then I drink the milk. Have a blessed day.
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:00 pm

But I do know it's more "mind-hunger" than "stomach-hunger".
I think this is true and important to realize. Sure, sometimes there will be actual, physical hunger if you didn't budget your last meal quite right and it's been a while. But most of the time it's more like a nervous tick, something OCDish. We use food for so many things besides nourishment, that we have throughly confused hunger with a dozen other issues (stress, boredom, procrastination). The good news is that it doesn't take long to tease them apart again if you're strict about not indulging. Habit will make hunger hunger again -- you'll feel it much less often, less intensely, and when you do it will actually be a pleasant thing, kicking in right about when it's time to eat a meal (which you'll then enjoy that much more).

In the meantime, drinking water is astonishingly effective at making such "mind-hunger" go away. A little bit of lemon, or some carbonation can up the efficacy without adding too many calories (or any calories). Coffee and tea are also brilliant in this regard. Caloric beverages, such as milk or even 100% fruit juice, are also fine, as long as they're not full of added sugar. And if you are feeling real, physical hunger, these should do the job.

Still hungry after your drink? Repeat the "mind hunger" mantra above (thank you BrightAngel!). Wait a minute. Still hungry? Have another drink, repeat the "mantra" again. Wait. At this point, many if not most times, I think you'll find you can soldier on.

Note: if you have some serious medical condition like diabetes that requires you to eat more frequently or you feel real physical discomfort PLEASE don't make yourself sick simply for the sake of adhering to the rules. Talk to your doctor about whether No-s is right for you, with or without modifications. It might not be. I am not a jealous diet guru. It's ok with me if some people need another system for their particular preferences and needs. I would be miserable if I thought I was actually hurting someone with this.

Reinhard

Jaymiz

Post by Jaymiz » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:43 pm

I'm sorry to keep bringing this up here, but I can't help but see the similarities between the two programs!

I just wanted to say how grateful I am that I heard of Intuitive Eating first... it really taught me how to watch for *true* (physiological) hunger -- wait for my stomach to be empty before eating. Mind you, I still struggle with actually waiting, so that's why I'm here trying NoS! LOL. :wink:

But, I also learned in IE to try to find foods that will LAST when I *do* eat from true hunger. I've learned which foods leave me feeling hungry again sooner ("empty" calorie foods like Fruit Loops cereal), and which foods help me go through several hours before getting hungry again (foods like a sub-sandwich and a glass of milk, or a bagel with PeanutButter).

Having started trying NoS just 2 days ago, I am learning to try to pick lunch foods that will sustain me for the 4-5 hours between when I eat lunch and when I eat dinner. And, so far, I've done okay. When I *do* get those later-afternoon "munchies", I just have some water (need to get that in, anyway, so it's a good substitute). And, so far, so good! I've been successful these past 2 days! :D

I'm still thinking I'm overdoing it a bit at lunch, though. It'll take me a while, I'm sure, to figure out how MUCH of a food I should have. :-? I mean, I've not REALLY been overdoing it -- just going slightly past my "satisfied" point -- but still enough that I'm feeling a bit too full.
http://jaymiz.wordpress.com (The 'No S' Life)
"The more you do a thing, the easier it becomes" ~ Anon.

Laff

Post by Laff » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:18 am

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses. I am celebrating a bit today (not S day celebrating but celebrating)! Day 3 and I have not felt hungry today, yeah!! I do have a few hours before bed but I think it will be fine. Last night I had to go to bed early or I would have eaten something, anything, maybe even my right leg. I did eat a little bigger servings today which I know has helped.
Gotta smile. Laff

Achieving begins with believing!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:22 am

Last night I had to go to bed early or I would have eaten something, anything, maybe even my right leg.
Laff,

I too have had to go to bed early in order not to eat ... but for me I was eyeing my husband's left foot .... hahahhahahhahahaha :lol:

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey